What's the loudest aeroplane you've been in or on?

Rick Brown

Got be a C-130K for continuous sound - trip in around 1979 in a Lyneham Herk to Bardufoss and back when a University Air Squadron cadet pilot. Not so bad on the flight deck but b****y horrible in the back - sign language necessary!! Came back with a Landrover and trailer full of rubbish plus a load of Marines. Apparently the UK are not allowed to leave rubbish in Norway ? (not the Marines you understand!!)

After that it has to be Woodford in around 1968 when Concorde 002 flew very quitely down the main runway and drew level with us and then my Mum thought a bomb had gone off because she wasn't looking towards the runway!! Happy days.

Simon

Oh, and on the ground - has to be a Vulcan at Scampton, Waddington or wherever it was in the 70's. Have you seen one of those taxi? Got to be at 30 mph and the ground shakes!!

• Like 2

VC-10. It was quiet enough when flying in the seats I usually managed to occupy. Working on them down on the deck was loud though, especially making adjustments on running engines.

Compared to the '10 everything else I've worked on has been whisper quiet!

Edited by Tired&Emotional
  • Like 1

From the inside...BN Trislander

This. Though the Islander is also impressively loud, the Trislander will always trump it. Honourable mentions also to the CH-46 (if rotary wings are admissible) which is certainly the noisiest helicopter I've flown in, and for self-drive types my old Yak-52.

A Nimrod when it was doing a max power engine run when not on the de-tuner, the old day ear defenders did not really do the job. Mind you a woman from the married patch complained about the noise, but was a little sheepish when told that her husband was carrying out the engine run.

The APU on a Chinook has a very high pitch whine, and your ears cannot really be defended by your fingers.

Not been in or on it obviously but have to say the Vulcan. I was one of the shuttle bus drivers at the first Bournemouth Air Festival a few years ago (can't remember which) and I took my break on top the cliff watching the show when the Vulcan strutted it's stuff. Had no idea what it was back then! That's what got me interested in aircraft, modelling and the Vulcan. Seemed incredibly loud from where I was stood.

I go with the Herk too,......during one trip, travelling to Greece on a Herk C.3 with two Landrovers and pax aboard, I laid down in the camo net on top of the rear Landrover with fantastic views of the Alps through the windows, but that noise just grates at your ears after a while,.......I think that it was a 5-6 hour flight, maybe longer.

On the same flight I was up on the flightdeck having a look around when the aircrew leap into action and told everybody to look out for an approaching aircraft which had set some alarm off,......shortly afterwards a French Transall shot past underneath us from head on,......there must have been only 100 ft between us and it all happened very quickly ! I was of the opinion that it wasn`t a wind up and that they were truly concerned, especially considering the language that they used afterwards!

It was a noisy aircraft but the sound still brings a lump to my throat and it was a wonderful aircraft to boot. I`ve never flown in the new J version so don`t know what they are like?

I always found VC-10`s to be quiet as a passenger but when they took off at 0630hrs bound for Hong Kong with full fuel they were a sharp wake up call for thse on the ground, as were the even louder tankers. Our block was right next to the runway and the walls literally shook!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

For me it would be on a c-130k during ground runs,the engines at full chat is very loud,even when your on a headset,also my my first flight was on a DH Trident,that was fairly load too.

Not been in or on it obviously but have to say the Vulcan. I was one of the shuttle bus drivers at the first Bournemouth Air Festival a few years ago (can't remember which) and I took my break on top the cliff watching the show when the Vulcan strutted it's stuff. Had no idea what it was back then! That's what got me interested in aircraft, modelling and the Vulcan. Seemed incredibly loud from where I was stood.

Was that the one where it blew all the goofers off the fence at the end of the runway?? I was there looking after the Buccaneer that weekend if so...Before it taxied out the Buccaneer pilot told me to turn him to his right rather than the usual left........Strange but that's what I did and found out why as he gunned the Speys and blew all the gizzits on the Tornado stall away...........Happy days and very noisy.....................Smudge

• Like 2

For me it was a Harrier.

Filming from beside the runway as John Farley did his 'balance on the tailpipe and pretend it's a rocket' routine.

It wasn't until several minutes later when my ears had started to calm down that I began to hear the sound of several hundred car alarms from the parking area, all triggered by the vibrations...

Any of the spam cams I've come home from Spain where someone is convinced that their conversation with the person in the next seat is worth sharing with EVERYONE....

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

VC10 the front runner for me, living in the nearest barrack block to Brize Norton's runway took a bit of getting used to, sitting on the apron as one taxied in or out, marshalling one at Aviano and finally, coming back from Aviano a mate said I've got us good seats-right at the back!!!!!!!

No problem in flight but take off and landing- what d'yer say????

• Like 1

VC10 the front runner for me, living in the nearest barrack block to Brize Norton's runway took a bit of getting used to, sitting on the apron as one taxied in or out, marshalling one at Aviano and finally, coming back from Aviano a mate said I've got us good seats-right at the back!!!!!!!

No problem in flight but take off and landing- what d'yer say????

HeHe, you upset someone to be seated at the back!

Rick.

• Like 1

HeHe, you upset someone to be seated at the back! Rick.

HeHe, you upset someone to be seated at the back! Rick.

On the contrary, I was the Mover detailed with brining guys back from a Det and my mate, a stacker saw the legroom, thought brilliant!!!!

Poor bloke forgot the seats face backwards, the "front ones" being very close to the engine intakes, when he told me my face dropped, he asked what was wrong & when I told him I'd wished I'd had a camera.

• Like 1

On the contrary, I was the Mover detailed with brining guys back from a Det and my mate, a stacker saw the legroom, thought brilliant!!!!

Poor bloke forgot the seats face backwards, the "front ones" being very close to the engine intakes, when he told me my face dropped, he asked what was wrong & when I told him I'd wished I'd had a camera.

That's a Stacker for you!

BTW, which SQN?

I was 4624.

Rick.

Where do I start, Brize for training, Henlow for a Year, back to Brize on the AMS, Waddington MSF, back to Brize on RAFMS and than to AMS.

Add to that Dets to Al Kharj, Falklands, Aviano- amazing wines from the Frulli region, Denmark and shipping The 7th armoured boys out from Germany.

Back to subject I'd forgotten my time as an AATC at Wattisham. This often meant being in the runway caravan during take offs. You didn't so much hear the sound from Phantoms engines as you felt it!

The other candidate has to be the Vulcan during a 4 ship QRA take off

Edited by Radpoe Spitfire

Bloody mooooovers, the posts will all start off in one forum but actually turn up on a different forum if you lot are let loose.....or not turn up at all...

Yes, that package is on RRXXXX, it arrived four hours ago, it says so on our system.........ooops, sorry, it was actually off loaded at a previous desert location.....yes we did realise it was a D-State...... :owww:

Edited by PLC1966

Bloody mooooovers, the posts will all start off in one forum but actually turn up on a different forum if you lot are let loose.....or not turn up at all...

Yes, that package is on RRXXXX, it arrived four hours ago, it says so on our system.........ooops, sorry, it was actually off loaded at a previous desert location.....yes we did realise it was a D-State...... :owww:

Oops, sorry, lost the thread.

Hmmm, I'm sure I sent it somewhere important.

Happy now?!

Rick.

Bloody mooooovers, the posts will all start off in one forum but actually turn up on a different forum if you lot are let loose.....or not turn up at all... Yes, that package is on RRXXXX, it arrived four hours ago, it says so on our system.........ooops, sorry, it was actually off loaded at a previous desert location.....yes we did realise it was a D-State...... :owww:

Ahh there speaks the voice of experience .

We weren't all that bad!!!

• Like 1

Back to the thread....

From the outside, Starfighters always set car alarms off at Mildenhall which I thought showed some potential on the noise meter. And F-15Es are always noisy, however they cheat by coming across Coningsby in gangs of three or four. Concorde was always noisy when cutting across the North Devon coast. VC-10 obviously gets an honourable mention, any Aircraft that used to get a fine for its noise levels coming out of Washington Dulles gets a big tick on the box, the authorities must have been gutted when we chopped the weekly Belize runs. Oh yeah, the Phantom, when they used to run the jet after carrying out P* servicing in the HAS next to our HES for what seemed hours you certainly felt a bit of a buzz.

From sitting inside, Alberts were very noisy, always makes me laugh when you see films which have actors sitting in them chatting away quite happily. VC-10, again hell of a noisy jet, with the bonus of the first time you come-in to land in one you got fluid dripping off the panels...holy crap. Chinooks obviously noisy and UH-60 caught me out with their volume, although as we were scooting around the coast of Cyprus and the doors were open I guess it was not surprising.

To be fair, worked with some excellent Movers on MSF's and on small dets.

Just wouldn't like to admit it generally !!

• Like 1

Back to the thread....

From the outside, Starfighters always set car alarms off at Mildenhall which I thought showed some potential on the noise meter. And F-15Es are always noisy, however they cheat by coming across Coningsby in gangs of three or four. Concorde was always noisy when cutting across the North Devon coast. VC-10 obviously gets an honourable mention, any Aircraft that used to get a fine for its noise levels coming out of Washington Dulles gets a big tick on the box, the authorities must have been gutted when we chopped the weekly Belize runs. Oh yeah, the Phantom, when they used to run the jet after carrying out P* servicing in the HAS next to our HES for what seemed hours you certainly felt a bit of a buzz.

From sitting inside, Alberts were very noisy, always makes me laugh when you see films which have actors sitting in them chatting away quite happily. VC-10, again hell of a noisy jet, with the bonus of the first time you come-in to land in one you got fluid dripping off the panels...holy crap. Chinooks obviously noisy and UH-60 caught me out with their volume, although as we were scooting around the coast of Cyprus and the doors were open I guess it was not surprising.

To be fair, worked with some excellent Movers on MSF's and on small dets.

Just wouldn't like to admit it generally !!

Ahh there speaks the voice of experience .

We weren't all that bad!!!

I was an Ogie!

I was one of the good guys!

Oil leaks on a VC10?

Nah.

Still can't get the stuff out me boots..

Rick.

Oil leaks on VC-10's ? Forget it! They didn't leak oil just Avtur! Paid the mortgage, beer chits, record collection , electric wrestling down the Spotlight and memory loss.

Wanna do the whole thing again! You betcha!

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

For me it would have to be the vulcan, lovely sound and very loud, second would be a C-130H the smell of kerosine makes you feel ill and then the sound and vibration on top of that makes for a very unpleasant sensation when your in the cargo hold.

• Like 1

The thing about the Herc was the recirc. vapour poring down (especialy in a hot,humid atmos.) thick cold "smoke",odd smell! Bloody things!!

Wouldn't miss the Tac landing/take off for anything tho'!

• Like 1

Oops, sorry, lost the thread.

Hmmm, I'm sure I sent it somewhere important.

Happy now?!

Rick.

Probably outbound to AKT whilst it's baggage is sat in the sort tin for MPN😄😄😄

• Like 1