What's the loudest aeroplane you've been in or on?

Rick Brown

Just chatting to an aviation mate of mine the other day and we got onto how loud aircraft can be.

Then conversation naturally went to to discuss the loudest we've either worked on or flown in.

Here's my list in reverse order:

5). C17. More of a "Presence" than loud noise. Not unpleasant though.

4). C130J. Loud, even when the big wiry prop things aren't turning. The Aircon apparently. Unpleasant.

3). VC10. Well, what can I say! VERY LOUD, but quite pleasant.

4). TriStar. Gawd, how loud can an APU be?! Very unpleasant when working around the aircraft. It has also damaged my hearing, even using ear plugs and defenders at the same time. Official.

4). Let410. Nothing comes close to this! The most unpleasant sounding aircraft in the world! Only went to the IOM from Gloucester and back and felt decidedly rough after the event. Nowt to do with the flight, just the A/C! My eight year old Lad was in tears, I had to hold my hands over his ears most of the way there and back. They SHOULD offer you earplugs when bordering. Just as a side note, they did have a big screen tv for inflight entertainment. I was wondering how on earth you could hear a film until they put on Buster Keaton silent movies! Inspired choice!

What's yours?

Rick.

• Like 1

First recollection was the restroom in the rear of the DH Comet. I was young, but I thought something was seriously wrong with the plane - a maelstrom of sound.

But seriously, uncomfortably loud, as in everyone had to wear headphones, was a 30 minute jaunt in a blimp. Virgin Atlantic had a six person job entertaining us locals in California some years back ( They and Emirates throw the best parties ) .

Even with our ears covered, you could not hear yourself think - fun though, mooring back in on a windy day.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Yes, hovering Harrier has to be one of them- if not for actual volume (which is high), then for duration. The first time or two seeing one at an airshow is most impressive. After that it just gets annoying!

Taxiing Fouga Magister- just the right pitch to make you confess to anything.

Piston engine: Lockheed Super Constellation, and, of course, Texan/Harvard taking off.

bob

p.s. These are all aircraft seen in person, but I haven't flown in any of them.

• Like 1

Not a single aeroplane, but 5 or 6 of them, Harriers, hovering in a row at the Farnborough Airshow back in the '80s. Somewhere well beyond 11 on the volume scale!

Andrew

Ok, not exactly been on, but once sat in one....

Hi Andrew,

I was trying to remember where the line up of hovering Harriers were. All I can remember was being deafened by the experience and my hearing was affected for days afterwards!

Regards

Reggie

• Like 1

B-47s MITO at Pease AFB 1964

B-52s MITO at Carswell AFB

And yes, I agree - multiple hovering Harriers

I almost forgot... The Vulcan take off... Mmmmm

The Sounds of Freedom!

• Like 2

Last row of seats in a VC10 on take off/landing. Last row of seats in a 1-11 for the whole flight. Any seats on a Herc, Britannia,DC-7, Argonaut. Same for Chinook. (not an aeroplane, I know!) Come to think of it, the 707 wasn't that quiet at the cruise, compared to the VC10.

• Like 1

Last row of seats in a VC10 on take off/landing. Last row of seats in a 1-11 for the whole flight.

I've sat in the last row in a DC-9... Yes, it was a long time ago!

Worse thing about that, apart from the noise, was... It didn't even have a window!!! :(

• Like 1

Last row of seats in a VC10 on take off/landing. Last row of seats in a 1-11 for the whole flight. Any seats on a Herc, Britannia,DC-7, Argonaut. Same for Chinook. (not an aeroplane, I know!) Come to think of it, the 707 wasn't that quiet at the cruise, compared to the VC10.

Oh yes!

Always pick me own seats in that one, and they were never those mentioned!

We always stuck the people we didn't like or mucked us about in those seats!

Go on, did you upset someone?

Rick.

I would go for the Hercules too, spent many a happy hour trying to get my swede down in the back of one of these,NOT!...............Wouldn't swap the experience though..........I do remember on my one and only flight in a Buccaneer, that was very noisy and the lower we went, the noisier it got, and no, it wasn't me screaming........ I have to add the Fairey Firefly to this list, half the flight I could not hear the pilot on the intercom.................Smudge

Vulcan QRA at Finningley in the 60's ....................... the earth did move for me........ and I was only 7 :analintruder: nuff said :coolio:

21 Buccaneers taking off from Manston for the Queens Jubilee every 30 seconds. We were under the flight path at school trying to teach with an Ofsted inspector in the room........... I just gave up !!

Now I don't find the Bear that noisy...... deep and rumbling when you can feel it through your stomach, yes, but not loud on the ears like a B-1.

I have only been under one (or 3) when they flew over...... that's 12 X NK-12 turboprops....

day1_074.JPG

- and heard the one at RAF Fairford - but never did I think it loud.

I've never seen anyone covering their ears at a Tu-95 - like they have with a B-1.

Ken

• Like 1