Blackburn Swordfish Mk.III - Airfix 1/72

No struggling with a paintbrush there,....it looks superb,...well done! One of the best Swodrfish I`ve seen in this scale!

If you look at photos of these aircraft there is an arguement that they were camouflaged on top,.......but it is hard to tell either way. I`ve done models in both schemes,....talk about sitting on the fence!

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tonyot,

I followed the pictures and photo from the Mark I publication. The picture shows temperate sea scheme but oversprayed with a thin, patchy layer of black. I tried to replicate this..and btw this is where most of my struggle came from: I oversprayed it several times back and forth, always thinking it looks not enough/too prominent, or smudgy. Lesson hard learned is, always do such things fresh, sober and under sufficient, natural light.. :/

The photo shows that the top wing is camouflaged, there is no doubt about it. The only question, IMO, is whether it was a "clean" TSS or oversprayed.

Edited by pivokrevnik

Lovely Stringbag, nice job on the rigging, looks spot on.

What do you get in the Pavla set? The radar radome I guess, much else? Just asking as I plan to use my old Matchbox Swordfish to update the new Airfix kit (radar radome basically).

Very Nice.

What do you get in the Pavla set? The radar radome I guess, much else? Just asking as I plan to use my old Matchbox Swordfish to update the new Airfix kit (radar radome basically).

pavla.jpg

1 - radome

Solid, but needs some sanding and fitting to snuggle nicely to the fuselage. It is a bit slant, and/or I glued it unevenly. Also the panels lines did not seem too even to me. I puttied them with Milliput and rescribed. Surprisingly, the resin behaves much better than plastic during rescribing! All in all a breeze, just some patience is needed.

2 - radar equipment cover with windows

Fits good, only the outlines of windows seemed a bit blurry to me. You need to carve a half-round step on the left side. There is an extra in the set.

3 - Yagi antennae

You get the etch twice, which is good.. these things can be bent and broken by a mere gaze. I managed to save the other couple for the next build, but until the happyend, I definitely felt more confident having some spares :)

4 - Cockpit side

This part is supposed to replace the panel on the right side of the cockpit, with the large gun bulge. However it's noticeably smaller. I sanded the bulge away and walled up the hole in fuselage (the bulge is hollow) with milliput and superglue.

5 - Radio operators seat struts

These should hold the seat (No.7) in place, but they are too fiddly, I broke them before I could use them and then made new from Evergreen. The N shaped struts should support the seat from below, but there is no angle where they could be visible from above, anyway.. They have their use though, see below.

6 - Gun port cover

This should cover the Mk.Is forward firing gun port, but as in No.4, I used Milliput instead.

7 - Radio operators seat

What to say :) Very nice, fine seatbelt details!

8 - Pilots headrest

9 - Oil cooler

Note that this part is different, taller than the Mk.I cooler, it's not just a matter of nicer detail. You need to carve a larger hole into the fuselage to fit it.

10 - Top fuselage thingy

Sorry I don't know what it is. Again, it is different from Mk.I thingy. Beware, extremely fiddly, half of them are broken already in the box.

11 - Radar equipment

Nice details, no complaints :)

12 - Radio equipment

Note that none of this is actually visible from above, it's deep in the fuselage between pilot and radio operator - you see maybe one corner of the most forward box, if the angle is right. I suggest ignoring the instructions and moving one of the boxes to the original Mk.I radio position (ie below the rear gun) - photos show that some equipment was there even on a Mk.III version.

13 - exhaust

Very nice, fits well, there is just a bit of "grain" between the spikes, needs careful sanding (or careless ignoring).

14 - exhaust supports

Too fiddly, broke them. I used one corner of the N strut instead (see point No.5), works fine with a bit of trimming.

Hope it helps. I can only recommend the set. Btw you can buy some of the parts separately - I think the exhaust, and the cooler/thingy pair..

Edited by pivokrevnik
  • Like 1

the collector ring is spot-on........

Thanks a lot! I hate the copper ones too! :D Still room for improvement though. Btw the 119 sqn machines seem to have very shiny, bare metal collector rings on the photos. I regret a bit overspraying the ring with matt varnish :/

This one is really unusual, I saw some pics from the build on modelforum (didn't I?). A really good job mate!

Yeah, I post here and there simultaneously, because I love to show off practice my English ;)

Thanks for all the very nice comments! It is very motivating for me.