FANTASIC PRICE FOR THE BIG TIFFIE, VIA AMAZON....

rob

Amazing! I just can't understand why a company would offer products at a discount even before they've been released. I'm not saying it's a bad thing - the cheaper the better from the buyer's viewpoint - but why not just sell them at a lower list price anyway?

Discounted on-line offers like this won't do much for sales in local model shops unless the wholesale prices are similarly reduced.

• Like 1

It truly does stab a brick-and-mortar retailer in the back.....assuming that the b&m shops have been ordering them.

Perhaps it's a sign that the shops don't want to invest their capital in big showy boxes that will have only enthusiast sales.

Better two cases of 1/72 Spitfires and Zeros than a single 1/24 Tiffy?

• Like 3

Ummm, no it's not. Your link shows it to be "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon", seems pretty clear it's not direct from Hornby.

Mark.

• Like 1

Amazing! I just can't understand why a company would offer products at a discount even before they've been released. I'm not saying it's a bad thing - the cheaper the better from the buyer's viewpoint - but why not just sell them at a lower list price anyway?

Discounted on-line offers like this won't do much for sales in local model shops unless the wholesale prices are similarly reduced.

I can!

They can judge the demand for the product, ie better to make 200,000 kits if there is a demand for it, over making a run of just 50,000 and then finding you could have sold the same again. I'm sure Airfix will be using some for of Computer Modelling database to base it production run on, if they do this for this and other kits in the future, they can then adjust the model via the acquired data obtained. to base further releases, and production numbers on.

Being honest this looks one hell of a kit, demand I bet will be high for it, so better to have the run cover the right numbers over coming up way to short, or with more than they can sell, it all about number crunching and these days these computer models of projected sales can be very, very acurate. TESCO and other supermarket chains use these Sales models all the time.

Dave

PS As a rule a company can only sell it produces at RRP price, themselves! If they didn't they would be undercutting there own retailer, and they in turn would not buy the kits, to then be undercut by Airfix!! So if you go to Airfix.com you'll find all the models on there at RRP (only sale items are cheaper!) and this is done after they have cut the price to there retailers ie this is why Modelzone was selling 1/48 Canberra at £14.99 a pop when Airfix was still asking £30+

Edited by zero

Ummm, no it's not. Your link shows it to be "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon", seems pretty clear it's not direct from Hornby.

Mark.

Clearly shows From Hornby Hobbies under the listing...

Clearly shows From Hornby Hobbies under the listing...

Think you're mistaking 'from' being who makes it and who sells it. This is sold by Amazon, not Hornby.

It is made (from) Hornby

Still a cracking price though!!!!!

Seen a few people saying it's too expensive, how many hours will you get out of this for that price, I've spent £75 on a 1/48 (with aftermarket) plenty of times.

Dan

Well carry on supporting the tax cheating Amazon if you like and don't come crying when they've put everyone else who pays their proper share of tax out of business.

• Like 14

Think you're mistaking 'from' being who makes it and who sells it. This is sold by Amazon, not Hornby.

It is made (from) Hornby

Still a cracking price though!!!!!

Seen a few people saying it's too expensive, how many hours will you get out of this for that price, I've spent £75 on a 1/48 (with aftermarket) plenty of times.

Dan

Common misconception, It says from Hornby Hobbies, so it will be, I run a TV and home cinema center, and we sell through Amazon it's just another route to market

they're just using the Amazon Website to advertise the product as the Amazon payment portal looks normal, but it's coming direct...

Common misconception, It says from Hornby Hobbies, so it will be, I run a TV and home cinema center, and we sell through Amazon it's just another route to market

they're just using the Amazon Website to advertise the product as the Amazon payment portal looks normal, but it's coming direct...

No, it clearly says (on the desktop site) dispatched and sold by Amazon. On the desktop site it has the red link under the product name as "Airfix", while the mobile site lists Hornby under the product name.

It's a good price. To be fair it says 'by Hornby Hobbies Ltd', and 'sold by Amazon'. This doesn't look like a case of Hornby selling as a Marketplace seller. Another clue is that they're offering Free Super Saver Delivery, which only applies to products sold or fulfilled by Amazon. It'll be charged on dispatch.

I've already pre-ordered mine from Hattons, and I'm happy to support them. Without going to far off-topic, I've gone off Amazon a bit since they stopped offering free shipping on books (under £10).

Andrew

Edited to come across as slightly less arrogant! :oops:

Edited by Caution Wake Turbulence
  • Like 1

It's a good price. To be fair it says 'by Hornby Hobbies Ltd', and 'sold by Amazon'. Clearly not a case of Hornby selling as a Marketplace seller. Another clue is that they're offering Free Super Saver Delivery, which only applies to products sold or fulfilled by Amazon. It'll be charged on dispatch.

I've already pre-ordered mine from Hattons, and I'm happy to support them. Without going to far off-topic, I've gone off Amazon a bit since they stopped offering free shipping on books (under £10).

Andrew

I stand corrected! ;)

There will be enough Tax on this anyway. Excise duty on fuel, VAT on everything, How much tax do you want to pay? The fact that Amazon take advantage of the poor tax legislation in this country means they can discount the product, and the end user benefits.

You can boycott Amazon if you want to, but you are just subsidising the Govt.theft. RPM is not a factor anymore. I don't have a local model shop anymore, save for Hannants, and they don't discount much!

While its a good price, and i can see the temptation, I am loathed to spend cash with a company that has only paid £10m tax on £4.5bill revenue. And yes I know they are taking advantage quite legally of the UK's country's tax laws, but I find it morally repugnant.

And also - why the Hell are Hornby selling it like this too? I mean its not exactly supporting the hobby infrastructure is it?

TBH I think this idea that all new products should be instantly available discounted - which is what a lot of people seem to expect by right nowadays is rather weird.

It has and is killing local hobby shops; and really chaps if its £75, £85 or £95, I mean; is it such a big deal?

I'm tempted to say if you can't afford £95 you probably cant really afford £75, and considering your bang for buck on this model will be very good whatever the cost - So how much discounted fun do you need to get, just so Jeff Bezos can add another billion or so to his bank account?

I realise I speak from a situation of some luxury, but none the less: pay an extra £10 or £20 and support your hobby shops

Jonners

• Like 5

I recently built the tinier Airfix Typhoon and thought it was a sweet piece of model engineering, so am tempted to get the big one even if I don't know where I'd put it afterwards!
I live in Germany, so the price is going to be different for starters, and the market/availability for the kit will no doubt be different too. This means, if I succumb to temptation, that I will not go the Amazon route but get the kit from my plastic pusher of choice, who gives me a good deal, has excellent subject matter knowledge, and is more of a friend than a vendor. Buying from the hobby shop also means I determine the time I get the kit - going the online/postal way almost invariably means having to bunk off work early to get to the post office before it shuts to collect the thing because I'm not in when the DHL guy calls.

Well, for me it's 50 km and an hour's travel away (I don't have a car). And it's in another state too (just over the border into Hessen). The trip is well worth it. Most hobby shops hereabouts (call it Heidelberg) focus on R/C, cars and trains, but Take-Off in Lorsch concentrates on plastic aircraft kits and accessories. The ship kits on sale are aircraft carriers, so there's no deviating from the subject!

Looking forward to Peter Capaldi taking on the role of the Doctor this autumn.

My gripe isn't about Local Hobby Shops, thats an argument that has already been lost sadly. Its about fair competition with other online retailers who can't afford the tax lawyers to enable Amazon to avoid paying tax which allows them to cut margins to the bone and undercut everyone else on EVERYTHING, not just models but books, DVDs, Electrical goods you name it. While its true they are using legal loopholes to get away with it, it doesn't mean I should blindly support them when there are more ethical retailers who can still offer a good deal, eg Hattons.

When Amazon start offering cheap Hasegawa imports, I might change my tune as that might bring the gouging by Amerang back into something approaching sanity, but for locally sourced kits, I won't stoop that low.

• Like 4

Just a note, you may have preordered it but I've seen this before with amazon, when it comes to release date they cancel your order and put the price back up. I'm sure there was something on BM about this awhile ago.

Hope you get them though, great price!

Rick.