1/48 Monofix SHAR FRS.1

Something else I want in 1/48 is an early SHAR, and once again nothing is available that is acceptable. I was going to do this to an FA.2 but Kinetic will be releasing one, so a FRS.1 it is. The nose and vertical tail from the Airfix kit and the rest from the Monogram AV-8A and whatever else I have up my sleeve. Here goes first pic, sizing up and marking the cut areas. I will blog here as there are a few knowledgeable chaps who will keep me on the right path.

JTY

IMG_3030_zpsb5b3d690.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting project, have you considered entering it into our group build?

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/472-harrier-single-type-group-build-ii/

I did not know this was happening. I can say with certainty that I will not be finished by 3 Aug. This build was waiting for completion of my German F-4F. I will be monitoring the group build, always somthing to learn from someone.

John

:analintruder:Noooiiiceee...!!!

Hi, John! Ever since I read his article on HyperScale, I was wonderin' how on Earth Piero Di Santis had ever done to match the Airfix nose to the Monogram fuselage. :wall::banghead::hmmm::shrug::fraidnot:

http://www.hyperscale.com/features/2001/seaharrierpds_1.htm

So please, how do ya do to match the Airfix nose at the bottom of the Monogram fuselage?

Will be followin' this thread with a keen interest.

Cheers, Jay. :cheers:

Unc²

First hurdle cleared, adapting the V-ramp/nose wheel well to the SHAR nose.
Next hurdle is to adapt the Black Box tub to the rear bulkhead. Going with the BB tub & Wolfpack MK 10 seat.

This is all new ground for me, those who have done this bash may have done it differently, I like these types of projects from time to time to keep the edge honed. Suggestions are always welcomed and considered.

JTY

IMG_3052_zpsad63a980.jpg

IMG_3056_zpsd3db7c68.jpg

IMG_3059_zpse522c874.jpg

IMG_3060_zpsb51d6162.jpg

IMG_3061_zpse8a2f9fb.jpg

• Like 4

Well the 2nd hurdle passed with relative ease. I was able to adapt the Black Box AV-8B tub to the Monogram V-Ramp and get it to fit the Airfix SHAR nose. The Wolfpack MB MK10 seat fits with the Canopy open or closed, just have to sort out an IP, sidewalls, stick & controls. Only 3 pieces glued so far, proofing the concept.

JTY

IMG_3079_zps1e6324fe.jpg

IMG_3077_zps42da87b6.jpg

IMG_3075_zps32613287.jpg

IMG_3070_zpsa6c08633.jpg

IMG_3063_zpsad6018f3.jpg

IMG_3062_zps213312d1.jpg

IMG_3073_zpsafc71e18.jpg

• Like 2

Agree - lovely work going on here. May I get on one of my many Harrier Hobby Horses for a second? Pretty much every model blanks off the prominent ducts that lead from the long spring loaded doors on the inner intake wall to rectangular openings on the deck. With this amount of surgery going on, you might want to consider opening out the holes.

Or not. :)

Kirk

PS/ Whilst I'm counting rivets, you may have to call it an FRS1A - Harrier II cockpit??? :D

Some serious work going on there! Is there any reason why you didn't use the Neomega cockpit designed for the Airfix SHAR?

In the states the SHAR pit is always out of stock at Linden Hill, I probably could have ordered Neomega direct but it took a couple months to get my last order and I decided on the SHAR after the last build.

May I get on one of my many Harrier Hobby Horses for a second? Pretty much every model blanks off the prominent ducts that lead from the long spring loaded doors on the inner intake wall to rectangular openings on the deck. With this amount of surgery going on, you might want to consider opening out the holes.

Or not. :)

Kirk

PS/ Whilst I'm counting rivets, you may have to call it an FRS1A - Harrier II cockpit??? :D

Not sure what these ducts look like? I have great pix of the blow in doors (From the inside out) but not the ducts, might not be value added in this scale. This is going to be closed canopy so the prominent feature will be the ejection seat, it will look busy enough and only 0.5% of anyone on this side of the pond will question the pit. Again focus will be on end item, I have to work with what I got, not many Sea Harrier FRS.1 in 1/48 scale to choose from.

JTY

Have a look here at the 12th post (NG899) Nicks posted a picture that shows it perfectly

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41954-harrier-gr3-sea-harrier-frs1/

I guess that's a good reason not to use the Neomega Pit! Their service for getting items out is a bit better these days, there's also a few eBay sellers stocking them now, they may post to US. That's all academic now though, unless you build a second..

Phil

Edited by SaintsPhil

Pretty much every model blanks off the prominent ducts that lead from the long spring loaded doors on the inner intake wall to rectangular openings on the deck. With this amount of surgery going on, you might want to consider opening out the holes.

Can't quite seem to get this piccy here:

Hendon010.jpg

Is it possibly the inner intake top lookin' forward...? :hypnotised: Or nay...??

Thanks for the help, chaps.

Cheers,

Unc²

I think that's looking into the intake from the lower side, I say that as you can see the part that angles in towards the fan on the right. I think the fan is blanked off, so probably taken from a museum piece, with no engine fitted

Not sure what these ducts look like? I have great pix of the blow in doors (From the inside out) but not the ducts, might not be value added in this scale. This is going to be closed canopy so the prominent feature will be the ejection seat, it will look busy enough and only 0.5% of anyone on this side of the pond will question the pit. Again focus will be on end item, I have to work with what I got, not many Sea Harrier FRS.1 in 1/48 scale to choose from.

JTY

Check out picture No.6 of post No.8 in this thread. They're referred to as A/C ducts but actually vent bleed air upwards.

The FRS pit is very grey and very busy so as long as you don't paint it black it's no big deal...

Kirk

Can't quite seem to get this piccy here:

Hendon010.jpg

Is it possibly the inner intake top lookin' forward...? :hypnotised: Or nay...??

Thanks for the help, chaps.

Cheers,

Unc²

That is the starboard duct looking aft at (as Phil says) a bit of plywood where the Pegasus 1st stage should be.

As per my post above this is wasn't what I meant, but it is indeed normally not modelled by the aftermarket guys. In all the kits/resin I've seen, the row of auxiliary intake doors fail to open onto the fan duct - presumably because it is pretty tricky to model. On the real thing, if you push open a door and take a look inside, you can see the fan as you'd expect. It is not recommended that you try this with the engine running, though it will clear your sinuses.

Kirk

• Like 1