1/48 - McDonnell F2H-2/P Banshee by Kitty Hawk - released - correction & F2H-2N sets by Rieth Creations

Homebee

Won't buy or won't cry? :winkgrin:

I'm personally fed up with overflow of substandard products (in my opinion). If the kit is, among other errors, too short, I won't buy it.

I was hoping they got ther act together after really good to excellent kits like the Cougar or AH-1/UH-1 and even the XF5U, but life is to short for fiddly inaccurate import kits.

Vedran

The milimeter brigade (I do blue lines, not red)

• Like 2

Oooh. That looks short! :(

I'm not so sure.....I'm no expert on the 'Banshee', nor does it do much for me as a subject so I'm unlikely to buy it either way, but I think that the open canopy on the model is perhaps what's making it look wrong. The relationship between the windscreen, the leading edge of the intake and that of the nose and the windscreen look reasonably OK to me?

interesting post here

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1468615484/last-1468763014/%28View+All+Messages+In+This+Thread%29

by Tommy H. Thomason, AKA Tail Spin turtle blog http://tailspintopics.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/172nd-f9f-2-panther.html

A few actual and some possible errors July 17 2016, 9:43 AM

I'm discussing them with Glen of KH and hope to fondle a test shot at the IPMS National Convention with pretty good 1/48 drawings, including lines drawings, in hand.

Maybe it's just the photos but the thing that jumped out at me is the nose leg - the lower arm seems like it's a bit long, but look at the back edge of the nose wheel, it doesn't quite make it to half way back along the gear door, where ason the model the wheel is a lot further back.

Maybe the Banshee had a nose leg change a some point, I know very little about the a/c?

Edited by Tbolt

Maybe it's just the photos but the thing that jumped out at me is the nose leg - the lower arm seems like it's a bit long, but look at the back edge of the nose wheel, it doesn't quite make it to half way back along the gear door, where ason the model the wheel is a lot further back.

Maybe the Banshee had a nose leg change a some point, I know very little about the a/c?

There was a nose landing gear change between the -1/2 and the -3/4. See http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2009/12/f2h-banshee-modeling-notes.html

However, this is clearly the -1/2 nose landing gear. It could be that the lower arm is too long, but it also looks like the model was assembled with the nose gear located too far aft.

• Like 1

You can't reasonably compare pictures of a model with an actual airframe for overall dimensions and 'look', perspective and lens foreshortening all have an effect on the final images.

I agree with hopkp in that it looks pretty reasonable overall, have to agree with Tbolt as well, it looks like the nose wheel fork is possibly just a tad too long - nothing uncorrectable though

• Like 1

There was a nose landing gear change between the -1/2 and the -3/4. See http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2009/12/f2h-banshee-modeling-notes.html

However, this is clearly the -1/2 nose landing gear. It could be that the lower arm is too long, but it also looks like the model was assembled with the nose gear located too far aft.

Yes the way the model is I would think the wheel would smash into the rear bulkhead on retraction.

Looks like a Banshee to me. My guess is that 99.9% of people who will look at your completed model will not know if it is a millimeter off here and there.

To me, if it looks like the subject portrayed, then it's good enough for me. This hobby for me is fun, I like to put my efforts towards producing an artful and interesting piece. No time for pulling out drawings and rulers and counting rivets.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Banshee test build at the IPMS USA Nats 2016

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Kitty-hawk-736521713066784/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1176210002431284

Release now expected - in the US? - about Christmas.

10409399_736553409730281_814775635640925 Kitty hawk now that Tommy has checked it, we will have some minor corrections, so Christmas 2016 looks good

13886891_1176211175764500_18908183303924

13912910_1176211179097833_33286166637801

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I wouldn't normally weigh in on a new release like this, but something strikes me odd about this current version of the test build.

I mean, we all have different tolerances when it comes to a model kits shape. I built the infamous 1/72 Trumpeter BAC Lightning fully aware of it's problems. The only thing I corrected was its super skinny rear end and that was good enough for me. :D

But this current version of the Banshee to me looks too chubby. Not to be too scientific about it. :smartass::D

So I went to look at my small pile of Banshee pictures which I had collected for my build of the 1/72 Sword photo Banshee. I wont post them here as they aren't mine and were used for research only,

What I seemed to see was that from the front of the engine intake at the top of the wing, the root rises too high before sweeping back down to the engine exhaust. The horizontal panel line that the top of the wing root almost touches doesn't appear to come down far enough on the fuselage. It's almost like they raised the root to meet the line instead of lowering the panel line. Sorry! No photos with loads of red lines from me! :winkgrin::D

If you go to this great resource of pictures of the last remaining photo Banshee at the National Aviation Museum Pensacola USA, the wing root looks much flatter (to my eye).

Single image: here. Thanks to Phil Juvet posting Don Hinton's images of the last surviving and beautifully restored photo Banshee at www.philsaeronauticalstuff.com

Link to all close up images. Here A good resource if you want to build the photo Banshee IMHO (or any Banshee come to think of it!). :)

Of course I can post a couple of pictures of my finished 1/72 Banshee where you can see the top of the wing root appears flatter and doesn't, to my eye, have the bulge in it this new kit does.

In general it looks slimmer and better matches all the photos I've seen of this aircraft.

I will also let you all make up your own mind about the canopy opening angle and mechanism though. ;) Although I was under the impression it went up and back then sat horizontally (as on the Sword kit) rather than just slides back . Go have a close up look at all the pictures here navypilotoverseas.wordpress.com/category/f2h-banshee/

Please note:

This is just my opinion based on the pictures I've seen when compared with this version of the test build which may not be the same as the final release. Even if this is a fair representation of the final release it may not even bother you and it will give many happy hours of modelling and provide us with some fine finished examples of this aircraft. As it stands though I do personally prefer the apparently slimmer and svelte version of this aircraft done by Sword in 1/72. :)

15743874368_d8c0015f72_b.jpgPhotoBanshee_021214_02 by Jonathan Macauley, on Flickr

15905504126_bf9819e9db_b.jpgPhotoBanshee_021214_01 by Jonathan Macauley, on Flickr

Edited by IrritableRabbit
  • Like 2

Hello.

I wouldn't normally weigh in on a new release like this, but something strikes me odd about this current version of the test build.

I mean, we all have different tolerances when it comes to a model kits shape. I built the infamous 1/72 Trumpeter BAC Lightning fully aware of it's problems. The only thing I corrected was its super skinny rear end and that was good enough for me. :D

But this current version of the Banshee to me looks too chubby. Not to be too scientific about it. :smartass::D

So I went to look at my small pile of Banshee pictures which I had collected for my build of the 1/72 Sword photo Banshee. I wont post them here as they aren't mine and were used for research only,

What I seemed to see was that from the front of the engine intake at the top of the wing, the root rises too high before sweeping back down to the engine exhaust. The horizontal panel line that the top of the wing root almost touches doesn't appear to come down far enough on the fuselage. It's almost like they raised the root to meet the line instead of lowering the panel line. Sorry! No photos with loads of red lines from me! :winkgrin::D

If you go to this great resource of pictures of the last remaining photo Banshee at the National Aviation Museum Pensacola USA, the wing root looks much flatter (to my eye).

Single image: here. Thanks to Phil Juvet posting Don Hinton's images of the last surviving and beautifully restored photo Banshee at www.philsaeronauticalstuff.com

Link to all close up images. Here A good resource if you want to build the photo Banshee IMHO (or any Banshee come to think of it!). :)

Of course I can post a couple of pictures of my finished 1/72 Banshee where you can see the top of the wing root appears flatter and doesn't, to my eye, have the bulge in it this new kit does.

In general it looks slimmer and better matches all the photos I've seen of this aircraft.

I will also let you all make up your own mind about the canopy opening angle and mechanism though. ;) Although I was under the impression it went up and back then sat horizontally (as on the Sword kit) rather than just slides back . Go have a close up look at all the pictures here navypilotoverseas.wordpress.com/category/f2h-banshee/

Please note:

This is just my opinion based on the pictures I've seen when compared with this version of the test build which may not be the same as the final release. Even if this is a fair representation of the final release it may not even bother you and it will give many happy hours of modelling and provide us with some fine finished examples of this aircraft. As it stands though I do personally prefer the apparently slimmer and svelte version of this aircraft done by Sword in 1/72. :)

The Kitty Hawk F2H nacelle bulges upward a little bit more than it should but it looks more prominent in the photo than it does in person, so to speak. The engine inlet also doesn't slant back enough when viewed from the side. At this point, I don't know whether the bulge is caused by the inlet being too low or the top of the nacelle being too high but I'll publish a template to check it when the kit is released for the benefit of those who find it unacceptable and want to correct it.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Ooh - which to get, the recon one in grey or the grey and red fighter version? Or both - oh my aching wallet and growing stash. That's a T33, Fine Molds Claude already in a month, then this/these Banshee(s), with maybe the IAR 80 still to get, then Airfix P40, Airfix Stuka and ( I hope) Gas Patch Hs-123 all due within a month or so.....

On ‎16‎.‎09‎.‎2016 at 6:22 PM, neilh said:

Ooh - which to get, the recon one in grey or the grey and red fighter version? Or both - oh my aching wallet and growing stash. That's a T33, Fine Molds Claude already in a month, then this/these Banshee(s), with maybe the IAR 80 still to get, then Airfix P40, Airfix Stuka and ( I hope) Gas Patch Hs-123 all due within a month or so.....

My solution to this was not to support manufacturers that don't seem to care about getting the basics right. It's a tough decision to make, based on the very interesting kits they release. Fortunately there are plenty of other kits to have a really good time with. Really looking forward to the P40 and Hs123 as well, and, in maybe ten years someone will make a decent Banshee kit. I can wait for that.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Ka-Efka said:

My solution to this was not to support manufacturers that don't seem to care about getting the basics right. It's a tough decision to make, based on the very interesting kits they release. Fortunately there are plenty of other kits to have a really good time with. Really looking forward to the P40 and Hs123 as well, and, in maybe ten years someone will make a decent Banshee kit. I can wait for that.

Yep, as much as I was waiting for both the T-33 and the Banshee... I Do still hope they'll make a better job of the F2H-3....

J