Bf-110G-2 R1.....Schlacht at Kursk?

Sgt.Squarehead

I recently accquired the Eduard Weekend Edition 1/72 Bf.110G-2 and was pleased to discover that it appears to contain the 3.7cm Bordkanone for the (I beliieve) R1 variant.....Could anyone point me toward a convenient source of information and/or 1/72 decals for Pz.Jg.St/ZG1 aircraft with this armament operating during the battle of Kursk please? :pray:

I think they were only used as bomber destroyers with the zerstorer Geschwader (ZG) in the defence of the reich.

But maybee I am wrong.

Cheers,

Pz.Jg.St/ZG1 was originally designated Pz.Jg.St 110 and was formed as a trials staffel at Versuchskommando für Panzerbekämpfung (Test Command for Armoured Combat) at Rechlin in late 1942. That establishment tested heavy anti-tank weapons on various different aircraft. It is true that it was deployed at Kursk in the anti-tank role still equipped with 110s and was probably assigned to ZG1 to trial the weapon in actual combat conditions.

The unit is mentioned in John Weal's Luftwaffe Schlachtgruppen but there are no photos or profiles in that book. There are some photos of the G2/R1 variant here and one which although not identified as to unit looks as though it might be in Russia with Kursk type surroundings, unfortunately without visible codes:-

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,281723.0.html

Most photographs of the type are usually captioned as "bomber destroyers" whether they actually were or not.

Nick

• Like 1