Tamiya 1:48 Douglas Skyraider A-1J

I am back into the man cave following a brief break from my building.

I remember building a large scale Skyraider with my father when I was very young, so I am looking forward to having a go at this Tamiya kit.

I have started with the cockpit and decided that for the first time that I would include a pilot. So the challenge of painting a small figure was taken on. I think its OK. the images are greatly magnified and the original size looks quite realistic and pleasing.

A white wash was given to the black instruments and knobs to give them relief. A few dabs of red and white helped to liven it up. The light grey interior was just Vallejo grey primer mixed with Home brew thinners and some acrylic floor gloss. The home brew thinners has properties that give a very smooth finish to the paint. The primer mix allows sanding much more quickly than the un-modified mix, which tends to peel if not left for 24hrs to dry.

skyraider-1.jpg

skyraider-2.jpg

skyraider-3.jpg

hi ! nice start i will follow your work! i have the same model too! one question is the instrument panel of the h version the same as the j?

I honestly don't know, I haven't built any others. I am sure those more knowledgable will advise. Edited by Scuff

My first go at using Vallejo polyurethane grey primer mixed as follows.
50% primer
25% homebrew thinners
25% acrylic floor polish.

After thoroughly cleaning the model, a light dusting of this mix was applied. this was followed with successive light coats of primer until sufficient coverage was acheived.
I put it in my drier for 20 mins at 80 degrees and was able to do do more sanding and tidying up. There was no peeling and no waiting 24hrs!

Here is my drying box.

skyraider-4.jpg

The engine was airbrshed in dark iron and the highlights buffed to give a nice 3d effect.

skyraider-5.jpg

The underside with the white wheel wells masked off, as they were sprayed earlier.

skyraider-6.jpg

I think this primer mix gives a brilliant smooth ang grippy surface for later painting.

skyraider-7.jpg

Just playing about - it wouldn't really fly like this :-)

skyraider-8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first model that I have tried to paint using 1/48th scale paint adjustment. I have often found that the standard colours on my models look dark when used, so here are the colours I have mixed up for this Vietnam canouflage Skyraider.

I just used a mix of Tamiya colours that I had on the shelf.

This is the tan colour mixed for a lightening scale effect.

tan.jpg

The scale effect green.

green.jpg

Scale effect Olive Green.

olive.jpg

And finally the underside.

lightgrewy.jpg

For the underside, I airbrushed on a very thin coat of the light grey and let it dry for a few minutes. I then sprayed about 5 thin layers until the desired amount of pre-shading showed through. Once I had dried it in my drier, I went over the paint with a polishing stick to merge in the pre-shading with the grey and smoothed of the matt paint.

skyraider15.jpg

skyraider16.jpg

The camouflage scheme took a bit of planning! The kit comes with a full model scale plan of the paint scheme, so I placed wide masking tape on the plan and traced the camo. outline with a pencil. Once peeled off, I cut the curves in the masking tape with a modelling knife and stuck them on. Onece the light tan was airbrushed, the mask was peeled off. The camo lines on the fuselage were masked using 4mm automotive flexible masking strip, which sticks well with no residue left and is lovely and bendy :)

I continued with the olive and then the green, drying the paint and then buffing it down with a polishing stick, to give a more worn and bleached effect.

I finished of with a few coats of acrylic floor gloss (Lakeland brand) to seal it all in. Decals and weathering next, I am aiming to try and keep it reasonably subtle, but I'm not sure yet how it will turn out!

skyraider11.jpg

skyraider12.jpg

skyraider13.jpg

skyraider14.jpg

As usual guys, any observations or constructive comments are welcome.

• Like 3

What is this paint app you are using? I looked for "1:48 paint adjuster" in the App Store with nothing showing?

Great job on the kit!

I use iModelKit to compare and mix colours. The reference for 1:48 scale effect was cybermodeler.com

• Like 1

That camo looks good. Really good.

I've not heard of the floor cleaner before. Do you brush it on or airbrush it?

Cheers,

Tom.

That camo looks good. Really good.

I've not heard of the floor cleaner before. Do you brush it on or airbrush it?

Cheers,

Tom.

Thanks Tom.

It's the same type of stuff as future..... I just spray it on neat.

Thanks Tom.

It's the same type of stuff as future..... I just spray it on neat.

Excellent, thanks. Will have to pick some up.

Cheers,

Tom