Revell 1/72 B-17F Memphis Belle **COMPLETE**

Hi Everyone,

This will be the WIP thread for my next build project, the Revell 1/72 scale B-17F Memphis Belle.

This is likely to be a challenging kit as it is a skill level 5.

There are 9 sprues of light grey plastic and 1 clear sprue. The total number of parts in this kit are 235. The decals for the kit are also fairly comprehensive.

I have already washed the kit to make it ready for painting. I will be working on this in conjunction with my USS Ronald Reagan kit.

Anyway here are the photos of the grey sprues.

Sprue1_zps9cc0a4ca.jpg

Sprue2_zpsdcaa1b73.jpg

Sprue3_zps2488c895.jpg

Sprue4_zps9943a07b.jpg

Sprue5_zpsf1fc0658.jpg

Sprue6amp7_zps882768a8.jpg

Sprue8_zpsc10d27eb.jpg

Sprue9_zpsdca0fbc4.jpg

More photos to follow as soon as progress starts.

Cheers,

Rick

Edited by Rickpadwick1801
  • Like 2

I've built three of these so far and it's a fantastic kit - you'll love every minute.

I'll be following along closely!

Tom

• Like 1

10 lots of spruces to glue....that's a lot of plane to make!! Haven't followed a build of a B-17 before so I'll watch this with interest.

• Like 1

I've built three of these so far and it's a fantastic kit - you'll love every minute.

I'll be following along closely!

Tom

Thanks Tom,

I will be making a start on this very soon.

Rick

Rick,

I think this is going to be quite a build to follow,

She's a real Dame... Look forward to your mastery on this one.

Best wishes

:thumbsup:

10 lots of spruces to glue....that's a lot of plane to make!! Haven't followed a build of a B-17 before so I'll watch this with interest.

Thanks guys,

As I said above, I will be making a start on this very soon. Possibly tonight or tomorrow night.

Photos will follow.

Rick

I have just painted the first few components so will be able to start assembly work tonight.

I am having to use slightly different green colours than intended as I don't have them all, but as it seems that the majority of the bits I'm doing different will be hidden inside the plane, I'm not to worried.

Photos later.

Rick

• Like 1

Watching with interest Rick having just inexplicably bought a 1/72 Airfix Hampden and knowing that I'm sliding into an abyss filled with 1/72 bombers!

Watching with interest Rick having just inexplicably bought a 1/72 Airfix Hampden and knowing that I'm sliding into an abyss filled with 1/72 bombers!

I know what you mean, I am already thinking abotput doing a 1/72 scxale Dambusters Lancaster in the future.

Shouldn't be thinking about that already.

Looking forward to seeing this one develop. I shall watch with interest.

Thanks, will try to keep it interesting then.

Rick

• Like 1

Just checking In...

:whistle:

OK give me a chance, lol. I have hardly spent anytime on this project since I took the photos of the sprues.

Tonight I have painted all of the bomb bay components and fuselage interior in a dark green colour. I have given the bombs and all of the large exterior parts of the plane (fuselage and wing halves) a NATO olive green paint coat.

I will be able to assemble the bomb bay tomorrow morning so will get some photos posted then.

Update tomorrow with photos. Hopefully I will get some more components painted and assembled.

Keep watching for the updates.

Rick

OK give me a chance, lol. I have hardly spent anytime on this project since I took the photos of the sprues.

Tonight I have painted all of the bomb bay components and fuselage interior in a dark green colour. I have given the bombs and all of the large exterior parts of the plane (fuselage and wing halves) a NATO olive green paint coat.

I will be able to assemble the bomb bay tomorrow morning so will get some photos posted then.

Update tomorrow with photos. Hopefully I will get some more components painted and assembled.

Keep watching for the updates.

Rick

:rofl::rofl:

• Like 1

Bomb bay assembled, bomb racks and bombs installed.

Not doing anymore today.

Just waiting for glue to set before I move the parts for photography.

I have painted a number of other parts which will be installed during the week.

Rick

• Like 1

Assembly stages 1-8 of this build are complete.

Stage 9 is underway. This stage involves adding the 2 external racks for the bomb bay.

I haven't taken photos of this yet as my camera is dead and I feel there isn't enough to show yet.

I will update with photos soon but I am very much enjoying this build, especially with the fit quality of the kit.

Rick

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

Here is the update to the Memphis Belle with the promised photos.

I have completed Stages 1-9 of the assembly and painted the wing and fuselage halves. I've also painted the cockpit floor and pilot seats (not photographed).

Bomb Bay Assembly:

BombBay_zps4a7e393d.jpg

Wing Halves

Winghalves2_zps8ab7829d.jpg

Winghalves1_zps49e95798.jpg

Fuselage Halves :

Fuselage1_zps9d646c06.jpg

Fuselage2_zps4e69a9c2.jpg

Cockpit Floor :

Cockpitfloor_zps5b2a71f3.jpg

I will update again when I have completed more of the stages of the assembly.

Thanks as always for looking.

Rick

• Like 1

I haven't done anymore assembly on this kit, but I have done loads of component painting tonight.

I am trying to get as many of the components painted for the next few assembly stages as possible.

My plan is to prep as many stages fully assembled as possible before I start putting them into the fuselage itself.

Photos as soon as the next few stages are ready for inserting into the fuselage.

Rick

• Like 1

Assembly update:

I have completed the following stages tonight of the assembly work for this kit:

Stage 10 - bomb bay roof

Stages 13 - 17 - cockpit assembly

Stages 19 - 21 - bombardier and navigators cockpit (including chairs)

So far everything has fit together perfectly with no problems. The most fiddly part of this build so far has been the chairs for the bombardier and navigator, they are absolutely tiny.

I am going to do as much of the assembly work before I put anything into the fuselage itself. This will save me a lot of time in the latter stages of this build.

Photos will follow tomorrow as soon as everything is dry and light is better in my workshop for taking pictures.

Rick

• Like 1

Nice to see a B17 being built! Good work and excellent thread!

Thanks Gruffy,

Have another look in a couple of hours and there will be some new photos showing the new stages that I have completed (listed in a post last night).

I'm hoping to get this kit a long way towards completion this weekend.... as long as the missus doesn't make plans....

Cheers,

Rick