Revell F-14D Super Tomcat VF-31

I would like to join in with this:

146612-11185_zps445511e0.jpg

It shall be built oob, with the kits decals, as they are pretty cool looking I think.

The sprues:

DSCF3191_zps58055c05.jpg

The decals:

DSCF3190_zpsbdfaca03.jpg

I shall be using this GB as a mojo restorer, hopefully it will be one of my better builds,

Regards,

Sean

• Like 2

A bit done today, wings joined, cockpit and nose started and a bit of painting done, prelims you could say:

DSCF3214_zps866b88dd.jpg?t=1399658746

Having had a proper look at the sprues, there seems to some lovely detail and engraving on this kit.

Hopefully everything fits nicely and I'll not lose any of it,

Sean

A bit more done:

Fuselage and afterburners joined together,

DSCF3219_zps20d625b9.jpg?t=1400096713

DSCF3222_zps4fce52c0.jpg?t=1400096683

and front of fuselage added as well,

DSCF3223_zps689d82aa.jpg?t=1400096655

So far all the joins needed a smidge of filler, nothing too drastic though.

I have also painted the undercarriage and wheel wells white, unfortunately

they don't show up too well on the grey styrene, so no photos.

Sean

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A quick update:

A first coat of paint applied to the main part of the plane, although it's hard to tell as it's basically grey paint over grey grey plastic.

DSCF3278_zps78627c48.jpg?t=1401984303

The paint as shown up a few seams to be tidied up, but this won't take to long.

I've half painted the missiles, but ran out of Halford's white. They'll just have to wait until tomorrow,

Cheers,

Sean

So, another wee bit done, all the paint is on, just a couple of touch ups and then on with the gloss.

I'm trying the new gloss cote from Humbrol, just to see the difference between it and Klear. Fingers crossed

it's just as good

DSCF3281_zps4673ecc7.jpg?t=1402516485

DSCF3282_zpsbbb19d3b.jpg?t=1402516529DSCF3283_zpsa368b575.jpg?t=1402516563, I'

Apologies, the photos aren't the best, I'll take better ones when the decals are on(I hope)

Cheers

Sean

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Robert, although I hope the days of sticky fingers are over :oops:

More progress achieved:

The glosscote from Humbrol worked rather well, left a nice sheen and allowed the decals to settle well with no

discernible silvering. The decals were done in 2 sittings and certainly bring a bit of life to all that grey.

tc1_zpsbdc67544.jpg?t=1403385406

tc2_zpsb7f1d96c.jpg?t=1403471768

The missiles are finished as well, and just need to be placed on the model. I wasn't happy with the decals provided by Revell,

(just a line of black decal, it didn't look right at all),

so I raided the spares and made my own. The Sidewinder and Sparrow markings are from the Airfix F-5, and the Phoenix

markings are from the kit for the head of the missile and the marking in between the fins were cut and placed individually

from the spares box. A lot of effort perhaps, but they certainly make a difference I think.

tc3_zpsa6924cec.jpg?t=1403471724

So, baring anything major happening, I've time off this week so all should be finished by the deadline,

Sean

Cheers fellas. Well, I'm pretty much calling this done. Pretty pleased how this has turned out, especially seeing as it's a straight oob build. The Revell

paint guide is a bit vague other than the main paint, so the SAM Datafile on the F-14 came in handy for some of the smaller paint jobs. There is also

a distinct lack of smaller decals, especially for the missiles, although looking at the references at hand, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of

stencils (No Step) on these planes. I'm really glad I took part in this as it's helped through a bit of a rough patch in life, so thanks for letting me take part

at such a late entry.

So, here we are:

Revell F-14D Tomcat

2b822381-6953-4deb-ab57-13af58910dd6_zps

Mostly Humbrol paints used, with a couple of Citadel paints for the undercarriage and exhausts. Humbrol Glosscote was used for the decals

and works very nice. Decals from the kit, except for the missiles, I made them from the spares box.

TC1_zpsb8a460b3.jpg?t=1403799931

Everything that is supposed to be on, is on, even after knocking off pitots and the nose probe, luckily they were found before the

carpet monster got them. I was contemplating giving this a wash and a bit of weathering, (still might), but I will say the finished

model looks much better in the flesh regarding panel lines as such. Possibly the light is causing a bleaching effect on the photos.

Thanks to Dave and Giorgio for hosting, and thanks to those who took an interest in this build,

Regards,

Sean

Edited by sean
  • Like 1

Very nice build Sean, I've always liked the 'Tomcatters' schemes and this one is very colourful.

Cheers N54, Hard to beat having Felix on your tail, it's the reason I bought the kit.

Turned out very nice! Excellent.

Cheers Dermot, I'm fairly pleased how it's turned out, they're all cracking build in this GB,

Well done Sean, it's a very nice model. Glad you enjoyed the STGB and that this helped you a bit... sometimes our hobby can really be helpful in going through bad times

Cheers G, it's helped quite a bit, there's a lot to be said for immersing yourself in ones hobby and letting life drift past

for a while, (a bit psychological there I think)

Well I've enjoyed taking part in this GB., so I'm off to take part in the D-Day GB

Regards

Sean