Well, as luck would have it I've decided to make my Harrier next so would like to be included in this GB if I may. The actual kit is for a SHAR but I've decided to build it as a GR3 as this interests me more. Everything that I need is in the box so far as I can see, I've managed to download the GR3 instructions from somewhere, and Airfix will sell me the appropriate decals for £8 so it's all good.

Opening the box I confess to being a bit apprehensive at the sheer amount of plastic in there, much of which seems to be off the sprue and rattling around loose. The kit is well know for being very basic in some areas such as the cockpit and over detailed in others (think rivets). I'm going to do some "busying" in the pit with an emphasis on the spirit of the thing rather than strict accuracy and may well do a bit of filling of the rivet detail although I'm slightly embarrassed to admit I actually kind of like it. I made a start on the ejection seat last night, will post some pictures later.

• Like 2

Thanks, and yes it is 1/24. This is my progress so far:

The box is literally the size of a suitcase:

DSCN04761.jpg

The parts are big and, well, big..

baa92126-5875-4f2f-aec2-22cce3d5a488.jpg

Starting some scratching on the bare seat:

DSCN04791.jpg

• Like 2

Irony is a cruel mistress sometimes... ta for the offer, I'll bear it in mind. I'd offer swapsies in return but I'm thinking I might revisit the FRS.1 if I pick up a cheap GR3 in future so I was planning on keeping hold of the SHAR parts.

Edited by goggsy

Seat finished, will be moving on to the rest of the cockpit next. As I said before, built as an artists impression rather than a replica.

DSCN0486.jpg

DSCN0488.jpg

RSCN0490.jpg

RSCN0493.jpg

Bottom yellow seat pan is a but rougher than I'd have liked but it won't really be seen when the seat is in place.

Cheers
Liam

Edited by goggsy
  • Like 3

And speaking to a few mates who were Armourers on 4 sqn,SNEB pods were never carried on TSC's (Twin Store Carriers) on the timeframe depicted by the decals,they were carried on the outer pylons with either drops or BL755's inbourd,

• Like 1

Goggsy, that seat looks great. If you can do that to the 'blank canvas' that is the kit seat, then I am really looking forward to seeing wht you do with the cockpit and the side walls. Following with interest.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There's a lot to be said about checking your sources before doing lots of scratchbuilding and I have a bad habit of not doing so. On this particular occasion I took one look at the cavernous blank space that is the main undercarriage bay on this kit and decided to do something about it, not realising that the bay doors are shut when the undercarriage is locked down. So, for the purpose of this particular build we are going to assume that the doors are open for maintenance or something.

Plastic on:

RSCN0727.jpg

Wires, bits of metal tubing, and some bits and pieces from the spares box to busy it all up.

RSCN0729.jpg

And the front bay:

RSCN0733.jpg

Under a coat of grey primer it doesn't look too bad:

RSCN0737.jpg

RSCN0741.jpg

RSCN0739.jpg

As ever the layout is largely a figment of my imagination. Having taped it into place in the fuselage the interior looks pleasingly busy now.

• Like 1

I love what you have done with the wheel bays and will be nicking a few of your ideas for when I build mine.

• Like 1

Very realistic all round especially the wiring. I remember this kit as a Christmas present in the 70s. Built it in a couple of days. Very enjoyable - although full of gaps, blobs of glue and paint, and countless errors. Glad to see it being given a professional makeover.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dammit, I need to get a shift on with this. Most of the sub assemblies are completed and I've done all the scratching that I'm going to do so it's really a matter of sticking stuff together and dealing with the crappy fit. I don't know if I'll make the deadline but I'll give it a good shot.

DSCN0779.jpg

RSCN0781.jpg

RSCN0791.jpg

RSCN0790.jpgRSCN0789.jpg

• Like 1