SPITFIRE - Scribing rounded corners

Sean_M

I have just recently hauled out an old Airfix VB. I started redoing the panel lines and then gave up. Needing something different (a change) I recently hauled it out again, a year later. The work I did was not half bad. I think with a bit more progress, I may yet save her. I have a number of templates. Ranging from Verlinden to Lion. I also have the Pin vice, RB and Tamiya scribers,

I am having a problem with the rounded corners ie, Fuselage hatches and the "D" wing hatches.

I don't have 3 hands so templates on the fuselage slip.

Any advice would be most welcom

If you're using good quality thin templates, these can simply be held in place with tape, I use electric insulation tape but others work as well. Alternatively, you could use some double sided tape, but I generally don't like this solution as the thickness of the tape keeps the template slightly lifted from the plastic.

I have had a lot of success using drafting templates. They come in many styles- circles, ovals, squares, retangles, trapezoids, etc, and come on thin plastic sheets that are very flexible. I have cut them into strips to make them easier to hold on curved surfaces, or you can tape them down. You can also cut individual shapes off and tape them to the model. You just need light pressure with the scribing tool of your choice, and Voila! They can be found wherever drafting supplies are sold and many arts and crafts shops carry them. They are not expensive They are great for fuel filler caps and inspection panels, and I use them a lot for masking wheel hubs.

Hope this helps!

Mike