Revell 1/28 Sopwith Camel

All,

Displaying pictures of my completed model of Revell's latest reissue of this ancient kit.

Built mostly OOB with some basic detailing to seat, cockpit and MG's. A lot of attention made to ensure the upper wing setup was correct to avoid the bow you get if built straight from the box. Various other small changes/additions made and altered kit supplied figure to look a bit more accurate.

As always, model entirely brush painted.

I hope you enjoy!

Regards

Dave

001_zps0d6a47f3.jpg

003_zpsbccf4850.jpg

005_zpsd8b0d68d.jpg

001_zps69de25b6.jpg

006_zps3fc8a254.jpg

004_zps219ab4ad.jpg

007_zpsb952954d.jpg

002_zps4ca2d7d6.jpg

008_zps038bbc4f.jpg

010_zpsf4ac14ea.jpg

009_zps34c8cc6f.jpg

011_zps7cfd4e5f.jpg

013_zps97ea9c5a.jpg

• Like 11

Hello Dave. That's a fine model there sir! I bought this kit a couple of weeks ago and realised its a fairly old kit! How did it go together? Any issues? Well done again, lovely piece of work. Martin.

Congratulations on a nice looking Camel.

I built this kit myself in the early 1960's as Capt. Roy Brown's craft. the other option was William Barker's.

I enjoyed building it back then and I made a promise to myself to get another one. After 50 years, I guess it is time.

Thanks for providing the inspiration.

It will be interesting if aftermarket decal makers provide some alternative schemes - maybe a Black Flight?

PS- I don't remember the kit having a windscreen, I presume you scratchbuilt yours?

Edited by Richard B.

Just goes to show that even though these kits are old and past their best, with a bit of effort you can do a damn fine job... even without an airbrush! :shocked:

Well done Dave,

You`ve done a great job on this old kit and the decal option that you`ve chosen is wonderful! I`m very tempted to pick one of these up myself,

Cheers

Tony

Just the job to sit opposite your 1/28 Triplane, Dave!

Love the wood effect on the prop, the undercart and the struts - very effective. Nice job all round...

Cheers,

Dean

Hello Dave. That's a fine model there sir! I bought this kit a couple of weeks ago and realised its a fairly old kit! How did it go together? Any issues? Well done again, lovely piece of work. Martin.

Martin -

thank you. The kit goes together very well and standard of fit very good considering the age of the molding. One issue to be aware of (I know because I built this in the recent past) is the top wing has a very distinct bow if built straight from the box. I pondered this for some time - but the answer was really simple - bend up the lower wing (before attaching to fuselage) to add more dihedral. Next, glue in the cabane struts to the underside of the top wing and seat and deep in the slots as you can get. I trimmed down some of the strut attachment to achieve this. No shortening down of the cabane (as another, more involved option) was required.

Cockpit detail is basic so I did some work here although I would add you do not see much of the cockpit once completed anyway.

Congratulations on a nice looking Camel.

I built this kit myself in the early 1960's as Capt. Roy Brown's craft. the other option was William Barker's.

I enjoyed building it back then and I made a promise to myself to get another one. After 50 years, I guess it is time.

Thanks for providing the inspiration.

It will be interesting if aftermarket decal makers provide some alternative schemes - maybe a Black Flight?

PS- I don't remember the kit having a windscreen, I presume you scratchbuilt yours?

Richard -

Thanks - yes, no windscreen included so just knocked up a basic one from clear plastic sheet and stretched sprue for the frame. I also knocked up the chutes (spent cartridge cases ejection port?) that extend from the side panels just to add a bit more interest. The only other alteration I made was to re-position the wind driven pump from the front starboard cabane strut to the rear one.

Regards

Dave

Sorry, forgot to add my thanks to everybody else who replied to my thread -

All comments really appreciated, folks.

Regards

Dave

I meant to say how impressed I was at how you have matched the blue of the decals,...which colour paint did you use or was it a mix? Again this is a very nice build indeed and the closer you look th better it gets!

Cheers

Tony

Thanks, gents

Tony - the blue is Revell ultra marine blue (code 51) which match decal colour nicely by chance.

Regards

Dave