RAF Blast Shelter

Warris

Curious minds are wondering why.

Depending on the scale you're working in, could you make the walls from thick card or foam board covered in brick paper (http://scalescenes.com/scratchbuilders-yard) - they may also have some suitable material for the floors. The earth banking could probably be made from carved polystyrene blocks covered with Polyfiller and static grass.

I've got to make 12 of these and am after advice on mass producing them or even possible.

If so would be the best way?

Al

Enlist eleven other Britmodellers ?

Edited by Richard E

Cheers Richard

That'll be 11 other people to go stir crazy over these things :)

I'm building the no1 communal site at Woodhall Spa in 1/72

This is now Thorpe Camp museum that I help at and it'll be one of the displays showing what the site looked like during the war

You could use the 'Linka' plaster cast system. Uses silicone moulds to create brick panels that can then be joined together. Can't remember if it's 1/72 or 1/76 scale.

I saw something in a railway mag where the modeller coated plasticard in grout and then individually scribed each brick into it. Looked great but too much faff maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you already have the answer, but I thought I'd chip in. I also build model railways and there is great debate about using moulded brick in 1/76 or 1/72. I personally believe that the mortar courses are way, way too crude to be realistic, although ashlar and dressed stone can look OK.

If you want to go down the scribing route, which will allow for much finer mortar courses, then I recommend the description here. I've only just started experimenting with it and while it's incredibly time consuming the results are superb.

However I really don't think you can beat Scalescenes. No connection, just a very satisfied customer! What some modellers do to add texture with these papers is emboss the odd brick when it is glued to the card abcking.

Best of luck with the project!

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Warris

I wonder how you got on, its been some 8 months since you last replied and over 2 years since your initial inquiry.

Did you produce any from a Master mold ?? I shall be embarking on the construction of 8 of these SURFACE blast shelters so would welcome some feedback.

Ian