Hawker Sea Hurricane Old Warden 2013

Hi

My favourite airframe in the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden is the 1941 Hawker Sea Hurricane Ib.

"Hurricane Z7015 was built by Canadian Car & Foundry at its Fort William, Ontario, plant during 1940 as a Mk I, after flight testing Z7015 was shipped to the UK. On June 27 1941 it was converted to Sea Hurricane Ib standard. Z7015 had a patchy wartime flying career, which ended in 1943, when it was delivered to Loughborough College as an instructional airframe. It remained there until it was transferred to the Shuttleworth Collection in 1961. Z7015 was used statically in the 'Battle of Britain' film, before restoration to flying condition began."

Here are a few of my pictures that I used for reference during this quick, straight from the box build:

DSC_7467_zps26941a0d.jpg

DSC_1602_zpsa6d9cb66.jpg

DSC_1662_zps7edf5ffb.jpg

DSC_1046_zpsca86eea1.jpg

DSC_1110_zps3d410f65.jpg

DSC_7902.jpg

DSC_7892.jpg

I understand that this kit is a re-release, and I must say that I didn't find the construction to be particularly easy. She was painted with Humbrol enamels and finished with a coat of Klear to match the real aircraft. The only weathering was exhaust staining courtesy of Mig Pigments Black Smoke. There were six decal options in the box, but (surprisingly?) none of the options was for the Old Warden aircraft, so a lot of cutting of decals was required to create the codes and serial for this aircraft. Anyway, without further ado, here she is:

DSC_7951_zps80ee8155.jpg

DSC_7960_zps78b95c19.jpg

DSC_7965_zps542f37b9.jpg

DSC_7974_zpsb395a510.jpg

DSC_7977_zps57c44891.jpg

DSC_7979_zpse2a33fa4.jpg

DSC_7982_zps27d1834f.jpg

DSC_7991_zps4a44a37b.jpg

DSC_7992_zps0a3ff649.jpg

DSC_7999_zps23cf6fdc.jpg

DSC_8007_zps599e512f.jpg

• Like 13

So where's the model AD?! Very nice work, lovely to see one of the Sea Hurricanes and built to your usual high standards. Lovely photos too of the real thing.

• Like 1

So what were the main problems with construction? Looks like whatever they were you managed to build it well. I have one of these up next. If I ever finish my current project, that is.

Justin H

• Like 1

So where's the model AD?! Very nice work, lovely to see one of the Sea Hurricanes and built to your usual high standards. Lovely photos too of the real thing.

Thanks Parabat. I'm pleased you like her. (I have just noticed that one of the "weighted" wheels needs to be rotated slightly!)

Parabat stole my line! I was gonna ask the same question!

Great representation of the real thing!

Thanks mate. I'm pleased that you think it is a good representation.

very nice work looks fantastic, great paint and finish

Thanks for taking the time to comment batcode.

So what were the main problems with construction? Looks like whatever they were you managed to build it well. I have one of these up next. If I ever finish my current project, that is.

Justin H

Hi Justin. The main problems were caused by the voids for the engine access panels that made it difficult to align the fuselage halves. I didn't want to display the engine and found it difficult to fit the panels over the engine. Of course, these problems could be attributed to my skills! One thing that must be addressed is the overly-long tail wheel leg - I must have removed at least 3mm from mine. Good luck with yours and I look forward to seeing it soon.

That's very lovely indeed - great building, great finishing. Top job all round.

Thanks Al. I really appreciate your comments.

Lovely build and a great finish!

Thanks jer. I'm pleased you like my build.

• Like 1

Superb work AD, really nice representation and reminds me how much i need to add one to the stash. Glossy finish looks great too, really captures the essence of the photos of the real deal,

Cheers, Stu

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

That's a great build of a fiddly kit - I've built the Mk.I which is from the same moulds and found it surprisingly awkward, cracking decals though.

Top job!

- EDIT -

A repeat comment! Evidently I really do like this build!

Edited by al_the_drummer

Very well built and finished build, excellent. Just pains me it was lavished on the Italeri kit.

For anyone wanting a Mk I Hurricane in 1/48th, if you have not bought the Italeri kit, don't.

Get the Airfix. It has all the parts to do a Sea Hurricane in the box.

Also Airfix RRP £17, Italeri £30

It's not perfect, but the Italeri has so many flaws it's not funny.

see http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935596-sea-hurricane-148-italeri/#entry1390213

I'm sure I could find some more. Oh, there is a problem if you don't the engine exposed, the side panel does not fit,

The main problems were caused by the voids for the engine access panels that made it difficult to align the fuselage halves. I didn't want to display the engine and found it difficult to fit the panels over the engine. Of course, these problems could be attributed to my skills!

Not your skills, bad design. I find more faults with every search :(

Good to see it beaten into submission, with such good results just like folks to know it's not worth their hard earned.