HobbyBoss RF-80A Shooting Star

OMG, :mental: I'm doing a plane :doh: and it's part of our Group Saturday Build Club so I'll only be working on it for 4 hours every other Saturday so, this should be interesting as there are technically only 4 more Build Saturdays between now and the end of this GB, that's 16 hours (because if they happen to clash with Club Night, also a Saturday, we don't have them!). A few of the Club members get together to build without interruption from family etc and it goes quite well.

Now, some will say the kit is wrong, it needs this or that but this will be strictly 'out the box'

2014_05030001.jpg

Early construction seems to be going well at least there is sustenance

2014_05030003.jpg

Well, this how far I've got in the first 4 hours - not bad considering it's the first aircraft built by me in over 30 years (with guidance and advice from SleeperService)

2014_05030012.jpg

This will now be consigned to the kit box :pilot: until Saturday 17th May when I shall continue with the cockpit construction and I start throwing some paint around.

That part is a peculiarity of Aircraft building - painting the inside before gluing it together :shrug:

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 2

Ah Ha, how so :confused: seems okay so far??? :hmmm:

I'm an Armour builder by choice so if this is truly a complete lemon I can do wreckage - with rust, dirt and tarpaulins - that's what we tankies do :wicked:

Edited by Shermaniac

If you follow the links for ARC and Network54 you'll find out... ;)

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234932989-148-lockheed-f-80-shooting-star-family-by-hobbyboss-f-80a-released-rf-80a-f-80c-announced/?hl=%2Bhobby+%2Bboss#entry1259175

A bit of a pig in accuracy by the sounds of things.

Sean

See what you mean, but you know what!

I'm gonna build it anyway, right or wrong.

Just want to do a good job on it.

Not gonna freak out about the accuracy unless it doesn't actually go together.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday 17th May and Build Club session 2

There has been progress here - though it may not look very much. Paint has today been flowing and in several colours.

2014_05170002.jpg

After masking off, a quick squirt to get a Zinc Chromate Green. I still have the bare metal parts to do yet.

2014_05170005.jpg

I used Vallejo Model Color 70.891 Intermediate Green (74), 70.936 Transparent Green (188) and a touch of Model Air 71.057 Black.

2014_05170008.jpg

The Cockpit was painted Black, with the visible fuselage sides in 70.833 German Cam Bright Green (a match for Interior Green).

The Seat was the Chromate Green mix but more is yet to be done with this.

2014_05170006.jpg

The Jet Tailpipe should be in Burnt Iron according to the instructions, so I used a mix of Vallejo Panzer Aces 304 Track Primer and Model Color 70.939 Smoke (181) with a touch of Airbrush thinner. The effect was rather good though I say so myself. After installation, you can 'only just' see it Ah Well! :shrug:

The continuing saga moves on with completing:

• the cockpit area including Instrument detail
  • the remaining colour on the pilot seat including seat belts
  • addition of the nose weight (not in the box?) when I can find one
  • closing up the fuselage

Due to Nick's allergy to Acrylic paint I shall be doing some interim painting so the paint gets to de-gas before the next session.

Looking pretty good so far as I'm happy with it :fight:

The next build Club listing will be Saturday 31st May 2014 so, I'm off :pilot:

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday 31st May and Build Club session 3

The start of the decals, and as it's an aircraft build it's the cockpit instrument panels. The kit provides a full panel with all the raised areas knobs & switches etc.

There are 'issues' with HobbyBoss decals you should be made aware of - They don't play well with Micro Sol! - So, WATCH OUT!!

You should soak the decals in water then apply to the panel using Micro Set. Once in place, apply Micro Sol to soften the decal sufficiently to allow you to form it over the raised parts - care should be taken here as the decal is VERY soft. I used the tip of a cotton bud to help apply some pressure.

This part took a lot of the time teasing and manipulating the decals into the right places but I think the effort was worth it.

2014_05310010.jpg

Cockpit update: painted black and chromate green, pilot tub partially built and nose-wheel bay also.

The nose weight has been installed - a bit of lead flashing - and fixed with 2-part epoxy.
The instructions tell you to add weight but don't say how much so, be careful you don't overdo it!

2014_05310008.jpg

The Pilot seat has now had the colourful bits applied, but I still have the seat pad to complete but up to now, I'm happy with it.

A bit of bimbling around 'tinternet has helped but there isn't really that much on the RF-80 however, there's plenty on the F-80, P-80 & T-33 (same family) but, it depends on the unit or Air Force around what colours the interiors and fitting were.

2014_05310011.jpg

Conclusion: Very happy with progress today and although on the face of it, it doesn't seem much, it is significant for me as I can now seriously move forward towards completion next time.

SQUADRON R.T.B. :pilot::pilot::pilot:

Edited by Shermaniac
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Update 7th June 2014:

Mission Report: Cockpit assembled and installed the H.U.D is clean. Fuselage glued and tail section added

2014_06060006.jpg

Wings are next :work:

Back to base :pilot: :pilot: :pilot:

• Like 1

Oooops! You're right, but all fixed now.

I managed to remove the part fairly easily which was lucky.

I don't think the canopy would have fit without the correction.

Thanks Col, much appreciated

Oh! I've spotted something else :doh: I haven't put the PE pilot restraints on the seat (the belts) so that's another little job to do.

A little remedial work to do for this weekend with the seatbelts, tail plane and wheel bay door masking etc so I can get the Grey on the fuselage. I'll maybe even get the Greeny Drab (before you correct me, :fight: it's still a Green!) on the upper surfaces so that I can actually start to apply the decals during Build Club 4 (28th June 2014). Looks like this Saturday will be another busy one :hypnotised:

Cov & Warks Show on Sunday too!

Nice neat work. Can you explain your use of red paint (ink?) on the mating surfaces?

regards,

Jason

Ah Yes!

This is an old wood & metal workers trick.

• Mark the 2 joining surfaces with ink/paint (I had a Red marker pen. Black or Blue would do just as well)
  • GENTLY! sand - on a flat surface/OLD flat file - until the marker disappears - very gentle, full length, strokes.
    • repeat the marker pen each time until the ink disappears with 1 swipe of the sander/file
    • check the 2 halves fit repeatedly after each attempt and don't overdo it - you can never do too little
  • the ink remaining is overspill but will serve as a guide when soft sanding the fuselage join

I had known of this technique for many years but hadn't linked it to the hobby until prompted by SleeperService

• Like 2

FWIW, I was having a snoop on the googlesphere looking for a Sword one of these in 1/72, alas, think rocking horse poo etc. :( In the process I read a bit about this one too & as well as the physical inaccuracies which I for one wouldn't spot unless it was popinted out, not being uber familiar with these ('spect this is true for 90% of us too. :unsure: ) it would appear that the colour call is also inaccurate re the underside colour which is variously given as natural metal or light grey rather than neutral grey or whatever the kit gives it as. There is a picture in Wikimedia of this plane, hard to know for sure but lighter than NG to my eye.

Steve

Thanks stevehnz - the finish does looks a bit metallicy doesn't it - like it :goodjob: the big deal for me is actually getting it finished. I never found this picture during my searches, probably wasn't asking the right question!

The kit boxart is a complete shocker and some of the colour choices questionable at best. However, I shall be using an Army Olive (Vallejo Brown Violet) for the upper areas and I think I may 'lighten my Neutral Grey a bit and perhaps add some metal medium for effect for the undersides.

Undersides are natural metal.

RF-80A_45th_TRS_in_Korea.jpg

Note stencils...

Can't really see the ground crew wasting time re-applying them if the bottom had been painted grey... :rolleyes:

Now of course it's your model and you can paint it whatever colour you fancy yada yada yada... :whistle:

Don't you just hate it when they do that !

A light grey undercoat I think, to unify everything then a bare metal finish

I'll see how well my Vallejo performs Model Air Aluminium should do it.

I saw a P-80 at the Midland Air Museum on Sunday and that was all metal too.

Undersides are natural metal.

RF-80A_45th_TRS_in_Korea.jpg

Note stencils...

Can't really see the ground crew wasting time re-applying them if the bottom had been painted grey... :rolleyes:

Now of course it's your model and you can paint it whatever colour you fancy yada yada yada... :whistle:

Note that it doesn't have an ejection seat since it was a modification of a P-80A. Also see http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2012/02/lockheed-p-80-shooting-star.html

Appreciating all the help Guys - and wanting to get it finished to a good standard

No stencils on the decal sheet - quite basic actually and I've used the seat that comes in the box, don't think it's an ejector but I'm a Tankie, give me a Sherman gun mantle and I'm happy.

Had a look at the link from 'Tailspin Turtle' and I think the kit has the Model B seat & Canopy but that is a complete guess.

Anyway, all the nasty bits are masked off (except the nose-wheel bay - that's tonight) ready for the undercoat, which will probably be applied tomorrow night - fingers X

Well, as promised, I've applied an undercoat of Vallejo Sky Grey followed a couple of hours later by Model Air Aluminium.

Being left to de-gas and dry before masking for Olive Drab.

Looks ok so far :)

Well, here we go - paint applied and...... whilst the overall paint finish is acceptable and it seems OK

There are however, a few niggly bits :owww:

2014_06280004.jpg

There are a few .... BUT! :doh:

2014_06280006a.jpg

AND....... :shrug:

2014_06280007a.jpg

This aircraft building lark is a bit more 'involved' than we first think.

More work, more delay.

Oh Yes! just in case you ask? the undercarriage bay doors are just dry fitted with some blue-tack whilst painting occurs.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...