Hawker P1127 Kestrel from Airfix 1/72

I've probably bitten off more than I can chew, but in a moment of madness I've decided to go for an all out effort on the ancient Airfix P1127 kit. Legend tells of rivets like barnacles, whimsical details and parts that lightly caress each other rather than fitting like gloves. I shall fear nought though, for my arms to slay this beast will be plasticard, plastic rod and strut together with the shield of aluminium drinks can. I shall craft rods of brass, re-scribe the lines of panels and plunge into vac-forming (well, maybe...). I shall indulge in some wanton cross-kitting and laugh in the face of adversity when it strikes (well, make a brew at least..). When the Fates conspire against me, I shall overcome their foul plots and continue along the rightous path to 1/72 perfection! (or blindness, whichever happens sooner).

Once I've had a furtle in the stash and dug everything out for this project, pics will follow.

Mark.

• Like 2

Interesting project and one I have looked into myself. You will find that the kit canopy seems to wide for the fuselage. Don't worry, it is the fuselage that is to narrow in this area and needs building up. Much easier than replacing the canopy.

Martin

Sounds more like a theatrical adventure than a mere modelling project. However I do like it, so plunge away, I'll be watching with interest...

Colin

Ooh, excellent choice sir, yi do realise I'll be pestering yi to get on with this one 'til it's done?

• 2 weeks later...

Any help I can give, give me a shout!

First thing to do is choose which airframe, as they were all different!!

Thanks Dave, I'd love to take you up on this offer, but your inbox is full and I can't PM you. So if you've any good images of Kestrel XS688 as depicted on the Vingtor sheet, I'll happily snap them up. Also, some detailed pics of the outriggers and their fairings would be most gratefully recieved also!

Mark.

So, having had a rummage in the stash and consulted the references, I have reached the conclusion this is going to be a long haul! My plan is to cross kit a Frog Harrier GR1 with the Airfix P1127 for the basics, then scratchbuild a good chunk of the internals. I'm on nightshift this weekend, so won't be making a start until early next week, but in the meantime I'm finishing off an old Harrier project to get the creative juices flowing!

My plan is to use the fuselage, tail and nose fairings as well as the nozzles from the Airfix P1127. I'll then use the wings and tailplanes from the Frog Harrier, as well as the canopy and the mainwheels. The wings and tailplanes will be re-shaped to properly represent the Kestrel wing and everything will be rescribed and the rivets will be sanded off. I'll also have to remove the 'pen-nib' exhaust fairings and will probably have to repair the fuselage where these are, but luckily a good chunk of that work will be covered up by the new heat shields. I'll have to scratchbuild the front and rear undercarriage bays, the intakes and trunking as well as the cockpit, the outrigger wheels and the tail mounted pitot. All in all, a very simple project when you write it down like that!

Mark.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...