Airfix Harrier GR3 in 1/48th Scale.Finished.

G'day Chums,

I'm going to have a go at this one.

y4mKcd2AemCERtSOjgvGPO9k3Zm2XBLBpAerpbpQ

She's going to be a Falklands job,wheels up on a stand with my two Shars that I built a few years ago.

y4mxf1BLODUzMYhVhWx1LxvEgvmqcCnmCTw0rgHm

I'm not going to spend a lot of time on the cockpit,there's no need to but there's a fair bit to be sorted out externally.

y4mPs69jUt7-bKcKyPtYmGujviyKuM9K_Oxzs6Kx

I started by glueing the rear bulkhead to the cockpit tub,putting the drop tanks together and the rocket pod casings too.

y4mXJoVzrV79QsUWlPcrP0dE4jNj1WBQxoY-8laE

Then the mounting bulkhead for the intake was fitted to the back of the intake itself so that I could offer it up to mark out where the missing fairing inside is supposed to go.The bomb halves are from an Airfix B(I)8 Canberra and will make the cylindrical body that runs up to the centre of the compressor face.

y4m53iTXLYmAM7V6_4inkwUe0Eb4rLEfD0bATLdN

The wings needed a little fettling,the fence slots in the lower halves were widened slightly to ease the fit and the trailing edges were thinned down to a sharper edge.

y4mePfWUluJWyPjosalKS6R5YF1TyIYM0O4li8db

Anyway,this is where we are tonight.More soon chums,thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 1

Hello again Chums,

Phil,I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.There's lots of it to go at though.

Col,I've been wanting to build this one for years.I wound up with three in the stash,two of which are older boxings acquired for the princely sum of £8 and this looks like a perfectly suitable time to build one.

A bit done today.I started by making the centrebody in the intake.The nose of the bomb was cut off and reamed out to fit over the centre boss on the compressor.

y4mn0cpi5TVua4k8wcue8SWsrLdFTWlunSC23E4C

y4mhxZEEgRrqIOL6KfCGpHMPPrHLitgcOW4e9oGt

A couple of side pieces were then cut from thickish plastic card and roughed out to fit into the intake.

y4mkEkki8VbJ37Q9DunXJPYS6blemaJZrO0dmN-i

A temporary put together gave me a promising fit.

y4mpBgFvBadRi0WlFCzRB6Pq594qc9KRboI-bggt

So I painted behind the fan matt black and the fan itself silver and fitted them in place.I then fixed all my newly made goodies in position using short lengths of square rod to butt them against.

y4mwzmLBVY-Be8bgh3bxuWZqoDFPs9ikmKB9Hs2h

While this was setting I thought I'd sort out some joints.The rocket pods have a bit of lumpy moulding near the edges of the halves,but it's all proud of the surface so a little light sanding sorted it all out.

y4mkMtIiqT5w1LLG2JOTNmX6P_zf8E5MiPUWz3pc

While I was at it I thinned the back end edge and removed by scraping the joint within.

y4mfIoe7RwZ_WpwiSJ7D52PhjbGm1e-MLStIhcr5

Having done that and sanded off the joints on the fuel tanks I turned my attention to the exhaust heat shields.These look nothing like the ones in photos so they had to go.

y4mvuH9YEvjqizS6QCvxQXoINvGDGSG-CI9XYkIF

I cut them off completely,leaving as few gouges in the surrounding plastic as I could and,after a spot of sanding and fettling,placed them into the backs of the resultant holes to make the backing for the next bit.I then cut a couple of rectangles and some narrow strips from thin plastic card and made them into the new shields.

y4mJxWElbqkHoUCP959RbzQt1250ZnSpSuXBL_wH

I then set about blanking off the fairings forward of the exhausts,using plastic card once again.

y4m86vY9Apjl7rclmP56IGy650IezVezXJP_82ml

Milliput time.

y4mMJ4YrnIKqapEPiETeuMVJKrzO_m_YgX7f4Nkj

The wing leading edges,fences and vortex generators all needed something doing with them.One wing so far has had the fences removed,the leading edge sanded to shape,the vortex generators thinned apart from the one that was replaced because this heavy handed specimen managed to chop it off,and the fences replaced and shaped.

y4m4-KztcGjW6VYFHqAfiQx2mUEwvlCnSTGxsjvH

Not the best photography I know but a light tidy up will clean it all off and hopefully look half decent.

y4mjChsoIzrXxm-9M8frZspPQ9mRpsTrQPBJRU81

More soon chums.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Chums,

Thanks for the encouragement chums,some bits of this are taking a bit of thinking about but it is fairly straightforward up to now.

Having been delayed by work for the last few days I've managed to do a bit more today,mostly whittling and fettling before we even think about construction.Both wings are now about ready having done any errant milliputing and made the fuel dump vents and wingtip lights.

y4mz4ILgXaWwu0f5CvFhwMVZcyldpIZopAwH8MGW

The filling and shaping behind the rear nozzles has come up more or less as intended too.

y4m2Hyntsslm2uvlWuFHEVzz-Ga6zZi_YqxKXk_r

The front fan was masked off for paint,having cut the masking tape before assembly using the fan as a template.

y4mjlnxLil6sl3ylOS0eOpyEWZvnhkWOe5swg9Qu

The nozzles needed a little attention.A light scrape out behind the vanes was all that was needed for my purposes,this did take the best part of an hour to do all four though.A bit more of a tidy up to get rid of the dust will sort these out nicely.

y4m70WtJWDKcivczPc-vOgtKjGRWwZyag8IEWPWT

The outriggers needed a square up too,and a little bit of creative scraping to try to represent the yoke for the wheel.

y4mj52z_SL4KKRk4rAEnfIjZRE4pO5GoUlYI27Vz

Once the outriggers were sorted I put the blanks into the fuselage to mount the nozzles on and made the box for the APU exhaust.You can also see the hole to take the tongue for the wing has been opened up so that the wing lines up properly from the outside.And I've drilled out the Frogeyes too.

y4mP0Fv8LUG8aqjxPMYNMDP3ciLeaioE0G7Zlx5T

The cockpit area had a spray of Humbrol 5 Admiralty Grey fairly early on in proceedings and this was now ready to dry fit to see what fettling was needed there.The instrument panel is holding the fuselage apart and will need to be sorted out.I'm quite pleased with how the APU exhaust looks so far.

y4mfcYzhZhZMDNr7-qL26CzOGlC6WOgO1XDfkgZ1

Driver,Airframe will need some work.Fitting the facemask and dropping the visor will be on the agenda.

y4mDC8UCnjgRw2-OGQ0KA-m1GPkc8GIaDugqFIx2

And while offering up was taking my attention I thought I'd drop the seat in and see what it all was going to look like.I think the pilot figure looks a little too small to me and replacing him could be the way to go.I sense a dig through the Big Box Of Little Bods is in the offing.

y4mCpbvpW_jKIuBon1bOB2fD3hjrMgchPhiwneeu

More soon chums,thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again Chums,

A little more done over the last few days.The underwing pylons were going to need a thorough clean up.

y4m4FoNytKZ3ybk7ugQ8s9RogP25qGiltcj7jJ8X

The gun pods will need a lot of attention.

y4mPZ1bj_UqPPBxMhgh8eaegkaI8Tv6vuxpERx7o

The pylons were painted Dark Green.Then,as I was looking at some photos for something else I noticed that the front edges of the inner pair needed reshaping.Best to find out now rather than later though.

y4m3Dl1oiHayhCkJDo6-eua0u-sOmv4tLyv4KseB

The intake interiors were painted their respective colours.This will make life a lot easier when it comes to the main paint job.

y4mLvj_JX4OQhFHfFJdaNlvkSglSIN_v-jRiLcZt

The instrument panel is the one thing that stops the fuselage from being closed up properly.A spot of light fettling was in order.

y4mHdqUq4k58_xb7HhvtGUliEeqLY3LqkIG-3ESr

The piccie below is a composite image of ,left to right,the original shape of the panel,the reshaped panel and the reshaped panel on top of an as supplied one intended to show how much material has been removed and from where.Sorry the last image isn't as sharp as it could be.

y4m46Fhkf3-G7e_Tti0rDpCAeiv3eeBfnp0--ZI3

The edges of the panel were chamfered to aid the fit as well,reshaped panel left and as supplied right.

y4mg6iTukcjPuITalQNLFQpQ04YkzyjCo33yeOcx

The fuselage would now close up properly so,having finished all the internal work that I want to do,was duly taped up and liquid poly run into all the joints.I very seldom use a clamp as tape usually does the job with no fuss.To make both edges of the rear cockpit bulkhead touch the insides of the fuselage however required a strategically placed clamp to hold them together.

y4mGk8wjdMqGu69oqwGjjUsHwfgXvkCXdr_ystcW

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Chums,

A bit more progress over the last few days.The undercarriage doors and airbrake needed some cleaning up.

y4mnuilj1v1qNxLBGMupaVIVVY91-7TI8jxn1S6J

The wings were fitted.The time taken earlier on in the build fettling for a good fit paid dividends in the way of an easy fit.The only thing to do now is a spot of gap filling.

y4mW0FFw2Gp2Zeq1qVjSyKazpJ27KJrOI8ekRReE

The undercarriage doors were fitted.This took a little doing,mostly taking a sliver off the long edges to make them sit as they should.The airbrake was also fitted.

y4m8aaErW_AGjbpOcoL6iI7DMYvidYw5bu2PxGkw

The airbrake was left sitting slightly proud so that I have something to fit the necessary 5mm extension to.

y4mgbbg-SGlQ1ihhyzkKloORSn5Oq9TMEUhxQH-K

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 2

Hello again Chums,

Kirk,it would be good if Airfix would do that but after correcting the fin snag.Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Done a little more today.The tailcone tip was glued on yesterday.It's a bit on the big side and so had to be sanded down.

y4m9_pLE8p3ReNrVihMp1Bv4h92NY006tMAKGS_q

Out came the milliput.Again.I'd mixed a bit too much so to use it up I decided to make the airbrake extension instead of using plastic card.It came up quite well I thought.

y4mYj99tHBZvgf8dSvhcrsFOG-ZLM1NEV8LcnY7k

The upper wing joints were filled too.Once this is set a spot of sanding off will be needed to set everything right.

y4mmwoHO2HhtPWSVfRYhSV3S9g0LsqV3OzWgdjab

I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now.What's the betting that it's some sod with a torch bringing me more to do?

More soon chums,thanks for looking.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Chums,

Thank you for the kind comments,I am enjoying the encouragement.

A little bit more done today.The rocket pods needed a bit of sanding down at the back edge of the front section.Once cleaned up the two parts were glued together and trued up by the simple expedient of rolling the whole lump back and forth on a flat surface a few times.A spot of milliput will be needed to finish it all off but not in any serious quantity.

y4mLLSs3VvfAKo-hqZOpv50zM5VtXJXXZu1KL37X

A few days ago I took delivery of,among other things,an Airwaves photo etch set for the harrier.My thanks to Matthew Bacon for that boxful.

y4m1ZSKjMcG3d3it7-6rJn_2ISf3sSGSI50X9z7S

I decided to make the tailplane inner end plates from thin plastic card using the brass items as a template.This meant that I can save the brass ones for the GR1 build that I have in mind if I have the time.

y4m0PNn6CE-Ab_9KDrSDdNb8eeB5T_OLe16xdvL6

This was a matter of cutting round the brass bit and then making a slot to take the locating tab on the tailplane itself.The slot was made by drilling a 1mm hole at each end of where the tab was going and then joining the dots.

y4m68Z2Cy3gTDCYVq-P1cHXAD2NoySYt0f_t3z-x

The kit supplied canopy sprue.

y4mJnR_L-N4PfMdk-ps_VYXOxnUAwPTogeaquUfC

The two main canopy parts were masked inside and out in readiness for the matt black paint that will go on the inside of the framing.

y4mkm5Gzobh0DnopSfuaCVW-P5LRncwcVsxtIV1O

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello again Chums,

At Last! Spare Time! Work has been a bit busy lately,I'm not complaining but It doesn't leave a lot of time for plastic bashing.A bit more done today.The kit supplied driver seemed a tad weedy to me so I took one from an Airfix Hawk which was a bit bulkier.

y4mzzrWQDwMMYHA_I-IY6l3Q-o6dLfVbN6-2GaBM

Before I set about sorting out the pilot I fitted the HUD.The kit item isn't spectacular but it will do for my purposes.Besides,there are only a few days left of this GB and I would like to finish on time.

y4mHIeq9MpEy1vWBMiXpVd2D4gFRx5KcE8cybaoD

Anyway,a milliput facemask and visor cover and a copper wire oxygen tube later I hairy sticked a bit of paint at the soon to be Jerry Pook.This doesn't look too good just yet,the paint is still wet and there is a bit of plastic dust that needs to be cleaned off.

y4mbWICEC2KDgdjlarDRW6yaJHB9MdB9o0IMBd-v

And here he is in the office with a couple of strips of masking tape suitably painted attaching him to the seat.A bit of filling will be needed around the bottom edge of the canopy front portion.

y4mmoFwBrV2aIIslnQq-sN6c1mEt4fsDTR1d4H3S

On the real thing there is either an antenna or a dump vent forward of the starboard front exhaust nozzle.I cut a slot to take my scratchbuilt offering.

y4mNz8XCHdXvgrlBi-Luncg4IcXatrkQ9BBfZUsh

Not the best photo I will admit but I will post a better one along the line.

y4mwECTwiKOBLuNQ6oix3lPTtNSqAUobfeY5aePz

Canopy on and intakes bunged up with bog roll,we're nearly ready for a coat of paint.The nose probe has been fitted but there is a gap underneath it that needs filling.The outrigger legs will be fitted too.

y4mIVWBQ3JksTQsMhDXGq68PmhXdx2yiPNkwdF8D

First coat of paint on,Humbrol 164 Dark Sea Grey.The nose probe is a little on the small side and will be replaced.

y4mt2Or70SGJPM1scEUDLO3BflAQRLH800FMeGGq

Finally for today the rocket pods have had their first coat of silver paint.

y4mFhyzYD_le3cHeqdw6u8oqZ4uwvLOOnU71DIUM

All things being equal,more soon chums.Thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 2

G'day Chums,

Thanks for the kind words Dermot.

A little more done today.Masking on ready for the green coat.This was suprisingly tricky.The shape of the airframe doesn't help but the diagram is all over the place with very few colour boundaries on the fuselage lining up from the plan views to the side views.Got there eventually though,nearly 4 hours later.

y4mL-Fxi9T-p-nxTR2y1a11xrz_Ny01MirrVxpdz

Green paint on.Humbrol 163 Satin RAF Dark Green was my colour of choice.

y4mt41qh3qInXkz4JJsy08UrLSpYD0Y8DQ4wLNRi

The rocket pods needed a little more attention.A spot of masking and then some ground up pencil lead on the front and rear ends to denote the different sections of the pods was in order.A coat of matt varnish will seal all this in and stop my great big fingerprints getting all over them.

y4mJq5fXmdXfT0_GA0pzO_x4CDrIOefK22Ql3wOi

The exhaust nozzles and heat shields had a coat of Metalcote Polished Steel.Again,a coat of matt varnish will give the required finish and prevent fingerprints.

y4m9W5gYYuXzLVxa_0ZcNEXfGmztI7gy8mlyBns8

More tomorrow chums,30 hours to go and I'm waiting for paint to dry :frantic: .

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 4

Hello again Chums,

10 hours to go and I'm going for it.

Masking off.

y4mINQW59joEMgFy0ek2klt5j-fggLr7lumtn1-s

Decals on.

y4mXKMT07a5mvG4iEFpSCOq4F4Otb5Dbuy_YoK59

Just got the touching in and the twiddly stuff to do then matt varnish and final assembly.More soon chums,thanks for looking in.

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 1

G'day Chums,

A bit more to show.I Band transponder fairing scratched from milliput with a plastic card antenna.

y4mxwPkS-YpG-NosCJQ_5S1E24uVmvQJuxJv0eLT

Replacement pitot probe.

y4mCjDKiNJ1QQ8FWyI8fO3nTsha6GfXl5Dwi4dAv

Anyway,after a less than leisurely flurry of touching in paint,matt varnishing,final assembly and all the weathering that I'm going to do I'm calling this one done.The oil staining hasn't dried yet but will matt down in a few hours time.

y4mtsG_XCKh926-SBhkS1330onSo5Y_SxAhk5nCB

y4mD4qbEfxauB9Tp8OazDOj1wPnym4wh8gyy9Ju0

y4m34aF84X-yP3s6Mnn7WWoJGlIXVsAUrTBu9JlQ

y4mV-1DCCI1o7m4rjhY0OuI181D0x2pqEfukPI_l

y4mva9bYE5Wn4aLDTsm3tsf7wJUFtACE5OtMmzcf

y4mbUUMb_OmutDcMjPsPo7937bsfyWn8XTyee02l

y4mC3RRpOgp_CG68BE92AVdLrcMmRPCD1DgQnvlO

y4mImHaslSdGUpcZjpTLYbB6hQPdP788VgO6vRtI

y4mlXRDRKHQAx_oT7MhVyaquuPLPqHLMvJNqj0oy

And one of the whole gang.

y4m-cdiGG5poTIkNUUT-ED6NPLuCCfvDyxSNLFig

This will eventually become part of a diorama that will include HMS Fearless and HMS Antrim.

Thanks to Phil for the hosting and to Mish for her hard work.Thanks also to all for looking in and for the encouraging comments.

Right,I've a Spitfire and a Mustang to go at,see you in the next GB.Cheers Chums.

Edited by Alex Gordon
Replace Photobucket URLs.
  • Like 3