1/72 Airfix FRS1

Thanks, im thinking of going with the in box decals doing it as XZ451 making it the 700A fleet air arm. Should look like this once done. Ill have to look at ladder kits etc at some point to finish it off, its being done for a friend who serviced these at Yeovington, so no pressure on me!

XZ451Yeovilton8-79a.jpg

• Like 1

The best looking of all the Harriers!

Good choice!

JR

Had a code brown moment today chopping some thin resin bits :oops: "thankfully" the blade pinged off and didnt hit anything or this would be a rather messy post.

20140505_220522_zpsyvwq5mag.jpg

Safe to say im a bit shaken so im having a break tonight and a stiff drink!

Had a code brown moment today chopping some thin resin bits :oops: "thankfully" the blade pinged off and didnt hit anything or this would be a rather messy post.

20140505_220522_zpsyvwq5mag.jpg

Safe to say im a bit shaken so im having a break tonight and a stiff drink!

Code Brown LOL but I am glad you weren't injured by the blade.

Quick one from last night. Paint numbers kindly Humbrols numbers are easy to match across but in terms of life like matches any pointers? They greys i have are more AFV oriented than mairtine RAF.

I should have some updates tonight ive some filling to do where theres some sinkage on the underside of the airframe and i need to remove the cast mountings from the resin interior, i dont have a razor saw but is there any issue with me using a very fine toothed (32tpi) junior hacksaw?

Quick one from last night. Paint numbers kindly Humbrols numbers are easy to match across but in terms of life like matches any pointers? They greys i have are more AFV oriented than mairtine RAF.

I believe it should be Extra Dark Sea Grey (Humbrol 123) on top and white on bottom: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17760-extra-dark-sea-gray-as-used-by-faa/

Thanks Porcopius thats what i thought, the white appears to be a satin coat while the upper is a semi gloss, I'll get the grey on order.

In other news, some sinkage

20140507_003952_zpssuo5njww.jpg

And a bit of an accident, calmly sawing with an ultra fine hacksaw and this happened

20140507_202045_zpsx4yhgvr9.jpg

Thankfully its a clean break and will be pretty much un noticeable. Im going to wash the moulds again incase theres any release in the new exposed areas and re glue it with some Cyanolite glue, im thinking if it glues PE to my fingers, itll glue resin together!

Right, finally able to sit down and do bits, dry fitted the wings together an noticed the lower section of the wing is slightly wider where is fits back to the fuselage.

20140510_160104_zpsxn6lqrjy.jpg

So a little slicing and it fits properly, ive taken a tiny bit too much off but that will fill easily

20140510_182143_zpsycmtctne.jpg

Lastly, its coming together, does look very nice

20140510_182107_zpsqbifqtkv.jpg

Edited by Step
  • Like 3

Your both lucky! ive ran filler over the sink marks but itll need another pass i think.

I did give the seat a lick of paint, a few more details left to pick out but its looking good

aff9b071-2365-45d9-82ff-04cae34a33a0_zps

Still faffing on the console

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, tried to make the right colour for the exhausts, that went well! :weep:

20140526_210050_zps3xvfnfoh.jpg

Struggling a bit for reference shots of these most show them either rusted or freshly painted up which is clearly not an in service look!

Looking good,

The nozzles are a shinny metallic colour, you could try GW chain mail (or whatever the new ones called). The front nozzles don't really discolour, as they're the 'cold' nozzles. The rear ones will darken to burnt metal colour, try dry brushing gun metal mixed with bronze.

Phil

• Like 1

I paint them Tamiya XF-16 and then paint Tamiya X-19 smoke over the rear nozzles, myself.

Tried on a spare sprue bit, seems to give a nice colouring

• Like 1