Spitfire Mk XIV 1/48 Rhapsody in Blue: Rolls-Royces G-ALGT

I've long admired the glorious turquoise and white scheme that adorned Rolls Royces Mk XIV Spitfire in the mid to late 1060s just before G-ALGT played a supporting role in the epic film the Battle of Britain. A challenging build with a number of self-imposed setbacks, it is with no small measure of relief that GT joins the rest of movie stars in display cabinet!
DSC02776_zps845da18a.jpg

DSC02784_zps596492c1.jpg

Im not sure if this model is best described as a kitbash or a conversion; it consists of Hasegawa Mk IX wings, horizontal tail surfaces and a modified fuselage. The Hasegawa fuselage was modified by removing the Merlin and grafting on an Airfix Mk 22/24 Griffin nose and an Academy Mk XIV vertical tail and rudder. I chose to base the model on Hasegawa's Mk IX/VIII for a couple of reasons. The companion BoB movie star Mk IX is a Hasegawa and I wanted there to be a definite relationship between differing marks. Using the same kit as the base insured the small details and nuances would match. Any differences between the models would not be due to differences in the kits, and would represent the development of the real aircraft.

WIP here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234922144-spitfire-mk-xiv-g-algt-148-conversion-return-from-the-shelf-of-doom/

DSC02785_zpsf44d8cd9.jpg

DSC02790_zps8d7166f9.jpg

Other changes to make a Mk XIV from a Mk IX include, larger radiators, larger wheel with different tyre. A bit of trivia: these tyres were sourced from Buccaneer /Sea Vixen nose wheels when Spitfire specific replacements became scarce. (Note my use of tyre vs tire as a nod to subject ancestry in spite of my yanky origin)

G-ALGT also had the tailwheel locked down, the doors notched to fit around the extended strut, closed and deactivated. These are all documented in the work in progress posting here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234922144-spitfire-mk-xiv-g-algt-148-conversion-return-from-the-shelf-of-doom/

Just a hint of weathering as befitting an active aircraft.
DSC02786_zpsd123368f.jpg

G-ALGT alongside her cousin, Spitfire Mk IX, MH415 already in costume. This allows a comparison between the two marks.
DSC02793_zpse2f2ee51.jpg

DSC02797_zps6631daba.jpg

DSC02792_zps5b7479aa.jpg

I hope you can pardon my indulgence in a few pics in a more natural type of setting.
DSC02781_zps93a6aa85.jpg

DSC02796_zps6f0f0dc3.jpg

DSC02778_zps7d9f75e5.jpg

DSC02777_zpsba47cd0f.jpg

Thank you to all for your support and help with research and information during this build!

Eric aka The Yankymodeler

A short history of G-ALGT
Built in 1944 as a Spitfire F.XIV, construction number 6S/432263 was given the RAF serial RM689 and entered service with 39 MU on 3rd July 1944. Participating in Air Fighting Development Unit trials in the fall of 1944, RM689 apparently suffered some damage as she was repaired on site in September 1944. Turned over to the 83 Group Service Unit in February of 1945, RM689 was then assigned service with 350 Sqn and 443 Sqn, being transferred to the Ministry of Supply on 9th February 1949. Rolls-Royce then purchased the Spitfire and received the registration G-ALGT. Based at Hucknall, GT was used for many years for Griffin engine development work and a chase/communications aircraft.

In 1967 GT joined the cast filming the move the Battle of Britain, trading her colorful civilian dress for a drab wartime costume. Replacing the original short wingtip fairings with standard length tips helped her play the supporting role of an earlier mark in the summer of 1940. After filming was complete, she retained the standard tips and flew for many years marked as RM619.

Tragedy occurred June 27, 1992, at the Woodford airshow when pilot David Moore was killed when unable to recover from a loop began at too low an altitude. The wreckage was stored for a number of years and a restoration project was begun in 2002. Quite some progress had been made but the project was halted in 2010.

DSC02805_zps7edd224e.jpg

Edited by Yankymodeler
  • Like 21

That is real mans modelling. I love what you have done sourcing all the parts to bring together to make this. Beautiful job, beautiful paintwork and a beautiful Spitfire. I really like those colours on it.

Cheers

John

Indulgence most definitely pardoned - simply superb. Although there are those who would have me shot at dawn for saying this, I'd be very happy to see the occasional warbird flying in civilian colours.

Jon

Thanks very much for the kind comments and taking the time to post! GT did fight all the way but is one of my most satisfying builds, I've long wanted a model of GT in this scheme and finally got up the courage to attempt it. I'm happy to report it looks great with the rest of the BoB stars in the display case, perhaps I'll get some pics of the cast all together. After I get the epic Intruder/Prowler/Growler build done, I plan on continuing with a series of movie stars/ civilian warbirds models.

This peeps,is what BM is all about.

Much input from quite a few people(self included)to give Our Ekka the impetus

to "go for the car"and give us all the reward of seeing his model come to life.

Very,very,very well done mate,a fine tribute to Golf Tango,Dave Moore and all

the BM'ers that gave you the info,pictures and advice to do her.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Oooooh! Don't she look tasty with that big six blade prop? Fantastic finish, congratulations and thanks for sharing your pics.

Colin

Oooooh! Don't she look tasty with that big six blade prop? Fantastic finish, congratulations and thanks for sharing your pics.

Colin

I hope he hasn't put a six blade prop on it Col,he's ruined it if he has :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not to worry, I am usually able to count as high as the fingers on one hand! :shrug:

I am not fully satisfied with the prop though, as can be seen by my not finishing the markings on the blades. I think the AIrfix prop is a bit too skinny and has a strange twist. I may try and build up a more accurate one from some blades I have in the stash. It's a simple aluminum tube slip in replacement so GT will reside safely in the display case until the new prop is ready!

Miggers you're absolutely correct, and I wish to thank once again all who contributed information and support. We have a great community here!

I hope he hasn't put a six blade prop on it Col,he's ruined it if he has :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oooooops, I had a bottle of wine with lunch, and knew there weren't ten blades, so I took a stab. Aplogies. It's still a fine model.