Airfix Harrier GR3

I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a "increase low-level visibility" campaign at some point following a number of air-prox incidents. May have imagined it.

The original one was for the Sqns 75 anniversary, and after that the others may have been part of the visibility thing as several Tornadoes were painted with white or red fins at that time.

Started to apply the decals last night including the tail lightning flash, plus the roundels which the underwing ones required a bit of splicing to get them around the pylons. I still need a touch of tidying up around the flash and I am not quite happy with the red that I painted to match the decal red. Will continue with the decalling over the coming week.

HarrierGR3022_zpsd29cfdf0.jpg

HarrierGR3023_zps2baa9dd4.jpg

HarrierGR3024_zps819bc636.jpg

• Like 2

I always thought it was a display jet, didn't realise It had siblings! CBLS sounds the most likely then. I don't know what more kits don't come with them, they're the most usual 'stores' to be carried!

Does anyone know where I can get the appropriate CBLS from.

You'll be wanting this decal sheet then,

4 Sqdn GR3

Great choice of scheme. Didn't our own Enzo Matrix have something to do with it?

I did indeed. I designed and painted the original fin on XV738/B in 1987.

Jabba is doing one of the later jets. Oddly enough, the Modeldecal sheet is more suitable for the later jets than it is for XV738. The original flash was slightly bent on the port side. The flashes on the later jets were regular because they were masked and sprayed by the painters and finishers.

• Like 2

This is not actually a display aircraft, but a normal line jet and I think that is 1 of 6 that were marked in this way. I remember whilst being based at Gutersloh (not on Harriers though) that several of these marked aircraft would be flying about.

During 1989 a Tornado (ZD891/BB of 14 Sqn) was involved in a mid-air collision with two Luftwaffe Alpha Jets. This was the third mid-air collision in 18 months that was attributed to the camouflage scheme being too good. Therefore, various measures were tried to improve visibility. Various RAFG aircraft participated in a trial which involved painting the tails in red or white for tactical aircraft, red or blue for air defence aircraft. There are numerous photos around showing RAFG Phantoms with red or blue tails. These weren't squadron markings, the aircraft were participating in the trial.

IV(AC) Sqn was on APC at Decimomannu at the time and so none of our aircraft participated in the trial. When we got back to Gütersloh, the wing commander was a bit miffed that none of his aircraft had colourful tails and so three aircraft were selected and had their tails painted in the squadron colours, in an identical scheme to the one that XV738 had worn. The difference this time was that the station paint shop did the painting and so the lightning bolt was nice and straight!

Your model depicts one of the later batch which can be distinguished by the fact that they carried a code letter on the fin.

• Like 3

Your model depicts one of the later batch which can be distinguished by the fact that they carried a code letter on the fin.

The aircraft that I am going to do is XZ970, which has the added bonus (from the pictures that I have seen of it) of having no tail code.

Heritage?

Thanks I will give them a try.

• Like 1

The aircraft that I am going to do is XZ970, which has the added bonus (from the pictures that I have seen of it) of having no tail code.

Aha! According to my records, that jet was painted specially for an RCDS static display in May 1989. However, after the display it did have a tail code applied but your choice is certainly accurate. Be aware that Harriers also carried their code letters on the outrigger covers. In the case of XZ970, the code was H.

Heritage?

The problem with the Heritage CBLS is that they are of the short tail type specifically designed for use on Jaguar centreline pylons. (the short tail allowed two to be carried in tandem) and not seen on other aircraft. The Type used on Harrier had the long tails.

Flightpath do the correct type but in their Hawk detail set which is a bit expensive for just two CBLS!

You could of course add the longer tail to the heritage items with a bit of scrap and lots of sanding!

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

Aha! According to my records, that jet was painted specially for an RCDS static display in May 1989. However, after the display it did have a tail code applied but your choice is certainly accurate. Be aware that Harriers also carried their code letters on the outrigger covers. In the case of XZ970, the code was H.

What colour was this code letter?

What colour was this code letter?

Yellow, as I recall. The fin codes were also yellow in the early 80s but changed to black around the late 80s.

Here are some photos of 4 Sqn jets. http://sg-etuo.de/Squadrons/No4SquadronGR3?p=6

This one shows your jet in the markings you are building, without the fin code. It is interesting in that it is in "Stinger" fit with a Phimat pod on the port outer and a Sidewinder on the (unseen) starboard outer.

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1346188/

The problem with the Heritage CBLS is that they are of the short tail type specifically designed for use on Jaguar centreline pylons. (the short tail allowed two to be carried in tandem) and not seen on other aircraft. The Type used on Harrier had the long tails.

Flightpath do the correct type but in their Hawk detail set which is a bit expensive for just two CBLS!

You could of course add the longer tail to the heritage items with a bit of scrap and lots of sanding!

Selwyn

I did find them on the Heritage web site, and I was going to buy them until I saw your info. I do actually have the PP Aeroparts update set for the Hawk, but the CBLS have already been taken by another model. I did however find an Aviation Workshop CBLS set, but that again only has one in the packet the other one used elsewhere.

Yellow, as I recall. The fin codes were also yellow in the early 80s but changed to black around the late 80s.

Here are some photos of 4 Sqn jets. http://sg-etuo.de/Squadrons/No4SquadronGR3?p=6

This one shows your jet in the markings you are building, without the fin code. It is interesting in that it is in "Stinger" fit with a Phimat pod on the port outer and a Sidewinder on the (unseen) starboard outer.

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1346188/

Thanks for the info a possible interesting weapons fit. I have just had a look through my Airfix/Heller weapon sets, and yes the Phimat pods have gone.

I think that the search for what to fit on these outer pylons goes on, it just depends on what stuff I find first.

Another quick question. Was the Ser No under both wings at this time? I do remember that on Nimrods the Ser No under one wing was removed in the mid 80s.

Edited by Jabba

I have now got most of the decalling done, but I still have to apply the fuselage Ser Nos as I have to use separate decals and I need a clear head to do this. It will probably get done tonight. I am still not quite sure of the red colour on the tail as it still does not quite match up with the decal colour. I may have to experiment. Anyway some piccies.

HarrierGR3025_zpsf0577551.jpg

HarrierGR3026_zps1c066271.jpg

HarrierGR3027_zpsd92fccf5.jpg

• Like 4

That is looking great - the tail design is so cool.

Thanks, I have now re-painted the red on the tail, going as close as I can the the yelllow on the decal. It does (even if I say so myself) look a lot better now.

• Like 1

Getting there slowly. I have now finished the decalling, and I have fitted the U/C, which needed a little rub down of the wheels to get all four touching the ground. I have also painted and decalled the fuel tanks and camera pod. A quick question to those in the know, how many camera ports were there on the camera pod as Airfix only give you one decal although there do seem to be panel lines (if that is the correct term) for a few more? I have also rescued a Phimat pod from an update set and painted one of the Sidewinder launch rails from the kit. My intention is to cut this from the pylon and glue it to the one fitted to the model. Yes I know it seems a bit bottom about face but I did not want to remove the one of the model as it was after this had been fitted that I decided to use the Sidewinder rail. Now to seal the decals and apply some weathering and the matt varnish.

HarrierGR3028_zpse2efb097.jpg

HarrierGR3029_zps9b49f1c9.jpg

HarrierGR3030_zps33b8e4bf.jpg

HarrierGR3031_zps09ba2c44.jpg

• Like 3

Almost there, just the ejection seat and canopy to fit then a final look around to make sure that all that is meant to be there actually is. I did have a problem with one of the aerials behind the canopy as it went missing across my working desk never to be found again. I found a replacement from an Italeri kit that is in the loft. Although it is not quite the same, as I am going to place the canopy in the open position, it will not be seen that well so it does not really matter. Anyhow some piccies.

HarrierGR3032_zpsaca99eec.jpg

HarrierGR3033_zps37c7c1fa.jpg

HarrierGR3034_zpsc8eda835.jpg

I was also looking at one of the pictures that Enzo posted and realised that I must have been at that show at Yeovilton as I have been to only two when I was based at RAF St Athan, between Jul 87 and Nov 89. So I had a look through my photos in the loft and found this.

HarrierGR30035_zps03a92df5.jpg

• Like 4