Airfix Harrier GR3

I am entering this GB with the new Airfix Harrier GR3, which I am hopefully going to make an aircraft from 4 Sqn with the Red/Black/Yellow fin arrangement from about 1989 as that was when I arrived at RAF Gutersloh. No I did not work on the Sqn (working on Pumas at PCSF), but I do like the scheme if I can find a set of decals. Most that I have seen cater for the GR7 version, so if anyone knows where I can get a set please let me know. Anyway some pictures.

The kit.

HarrierGR3001_zpsa065545a.jpg

HarrierGR3002_zpsf6f798e5.jpg

The instructions and kit decals.

HarrierGR3003_zps118ccbf8.jpg

Plus the aftermarket tail.

HarrierGR3004_zpsaea7d332.jpg

• Like 3

A couple of pictures showing my progress so far. I am quite pleased with how well the kit fits, almost slotting together. I may also change the colour scheme, as I was looking on Hannants web site for the decals that Mark suggested when I saw that they also have the "Matchcote" schemes available, but I am not quite sure at the moment. Also is it worth getting AM replacements for the engine exhausts or is better sticking with the kit ones, as they are not really seen on the finished model?

HarrierGR3005_zpscd1095b8.jpg

HarrierGR3006_zps3082b4d6.jpg

• Like 1

Fuselage now together, plus the intakes and a few other bits and bobs have been added. The only thing that concerns me at the moment is the gap between the fuselage and the tailplanes, and the looseness of the tailplane as it just flops about. Anyway some pictures.

HarrierGR3007_zps1b2695dd.jpg

HarrierGR3008_zpsdc0166d5.jpg

See what you mean on the tails, I think I didn't have that issue as I glued mine! Seems like you had similar fit issues to me too....

I will fix the tailplane in place as that seems to be the only way to go. The real main fit problem the I had was the intakes as I had to clamp them really tightly to get them into the correct postion. All the other part fitment issues were probably my own making.

Just a small update to show what has been recently added. Almost getting close to painting.

Does anyone have an option on the Pavla exhausts would it be wise to get a set of them or stick with the kit ones?

HarrierGR3009_zps8b2c0326.jpg

HarrierGR3010_zps76ec46ad.jpg

• Like 1

Coming along nicely Jabba, the AM tail looks great. I can see the Airfix family resemblance to the GR7 kit with the way everything attaches.

I bought a set of Pavla exhausts for my GR7 just so I wouldn't have to deal with the seams in the kit ones - pure laziness.

Jabba,

The kit exhausts in the GR1/GR3 kit are just fine. Since Airfix changed where they put the join compared with the GR7/9 ones, there are no difficult seams to clean up. Spend the money instead on a Master metal pitot, much better than the kit plastic one!

Mark.

Edited by Harry Lime
  • Like 1

Jabba,

The kit exhausts in the GR1/GR3 kit are just fine. Since Airfix changed where they put the join compared with the GR7/9 ones, there are no difficult seams to clean up. Spend the money instead on a Master metal pitot, much better than the kit plastic one!

Mark.

Thanks for that I shall stick with the kit ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done a bit more to this model including adding all the weapon pylons, the gun pods and the front part of the canopy. I think that adding the outer wing pylons may have been a tad hasty as I forgot about the roundel decal that goes underneath them, I may have to put a small cut in the decal to allow it to fit properly. Also the fit of the gun pods to the fuselage was not the best and I filled these with Krystal Klear, as I did not have much room to use my normal filler and sand down.

Anyway some pictures.

HarrierGR3011_zps70041585.jpg

HarrierGR3012_zps72090802.jpg

HarrierGR3013_zps85caaa4f.jpg

Hopefully in the the next few days I shall start to paint this.

• Like 2

Mark is absolutely right. The Master brass pitot tube is a great improvment to the kit, and also not very expensive.

Dark Green now painted on. The reason the gunpods are not painted is because silly me forgot to sand them down before fitting and I still have to. I will hopefully paint the tail this week.

HarrierGR3017_zpsbd0f17fd.jpg

HarrierGR3018_zps21411d14.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Painting now all done and Klear applied, so now I shall start to apply the decals. I will be putting the recce pod on the centre pylon and fuel tanks on the inner wing pylons, but does anyone know what would be fitted to the outer wing pylons. The kit does provide rocket pods, but is there anything else that could be fitted?

HarrierGR3019_zpsbef8216f.jpg

HarrierGR3020_zpsd8491350.jpg

HarrierGR3021_zpsbf378700.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, did you hand paint the tail? Looks great!

I painted the whole tail yellow, then photocopied the decal that is the lightning flash and painted the black and red around this. The tail is not quite finished as I do have to add the decal for the lightning flash and then do any recovery paint work that may be needed.

• Like 1

Looking good!

For a display jet I would think outer pylons empty, or you could add practice bomb carriers or even dummy bombs, blue painted concrete ones.

This is not actually a display aircraft, but a normal line jet and I think that is 1 of 6 that were marked in this way. I remember whilst being based at Gutersloh (not on Harriers though) that several of these marked aircraft would be flying about. I do like the idea of CBLS though.

• Like 1