1/72 AZ Models Spitfire Mk XVI Belgian Air Force

Hello

I have just finished this one even if I built her over one and a half year period. This is because I am always building many kits at the same time !

It was easy to build but I discarded the decals from the box when I found a couple of pictures of this very aircraft of 349 squadron Belgian Air Force circa 1946. So the decals came from some different sheets (Modeldecal, Syhart and Daco) to get the closest markings even with two types of ratio for the roundels. On the other hand the fin flag does not appear on the pictures so it is conjecture.

I hope you will like her, but I am open to any comment.

Patrick

m_350077590_0.jpg

m_350077592_0.jpg

m_350077595_0.jpg

m_350077597_0.jpg

m_350077599_0.jpg

m_350077601_0.jpg

• Like 11

Beautiful finish - how did you achieve it?

Well, the paint is Alclad Duralumin overall and after putting the decals I let flow a wash of Tamiya black panel line accent color. The trouble went when the decals around the letters became dark grey. I had to make them disappear but it is not perfect now. Happily the pictures are over exposed ! I should have cut closer from the letters. Next time, because I have not enough Modeldecal letters on hand. Actually two "G" are original the other two are modified "O".

Patrick

• Like 1

Lovely finish ('NM' or 'silver paint'?) and a build that betrays the Spitfire aficionado: cockpit hatch not hanging straight down and elevators drooping!

One question mark, though: the main gear looks uncharacteristically splayed out, more like a Bf 109 than a Spit. Also, the main gear covers seem to be shifted (port to stbd and vice versa) – the fwd underside should be tilted up while the rear part is more or less parallel to the ground. Could you have inadvertantly switched the u/c assemblies, by any chance?

Spitfire gear legs are almost perpendicular to the ground seen from head on, with the mainwheels slightly canted inward. Check any head-on drawing and you'll see what I mean.

As for the rest – a beautiful build indeed!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Lovely finish ('NM' or 'silver paint'?) and a build that betrays the Spitfire aficionado: cockpit hatch not hanging straight down and elevators drooping!

One question mark, though: the main gear looks uncharacteristically splayed out, more like a Bf 109 than a Spit. Also, the main gear covers seem to be shifted (port to stbd and vice versa) – the fwd underside should be tilted up while the rear part is more or less parallel to the ground. Could you have inadvertantly switched the u/c assemblies, by any chance?

Spitfire gear legs are almost perpendicular to the ground seen from head on, with the mainwheels slightly canted inward. Check any head-on drawing and you'll see what I mean.

Joachim

You are totally right I think the legs sank a little during the drying process. Well I have fixed the trouble of the angle. For the shape of the door I cannot do anything else instead of changing it from another kit.

Patrick

m_350194192_0.jpg

m_350194194_0.jpg

m_350194199_0.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice build :) The shape of the doors as it is on the last images should be right, i think on the first serie of photos the "weird" shape was given by the slightly wrong angle of the gear legs. But after you fixed that, it looks good to me :):goodjob:

Lovely model - looks especially nice in the less usual markings and with the gear angle corrected...top job.