Eduard 1/48 Hellcat Mk II (Fleet Air Arm)

This is the last of my most recent builds. Hellcat Mk II made from the Eduard ProfiPack F6F-5 kit (with US markings).

My model is pretty much built straight from the box with minor exceptions; I don't know if I captured everything right for a FAA aeroplane but all I changed was the aerials and masts on the fuselage and I added better resin machine gun muzzles. The kit does come with its own resin updates for the wheels and some PE for the cockpit.

The kit went together very well and I liked the quality of the surface detail and transparencies.

I used Xtracolour for the Glossy Sea Blue applied over light and dark grey primer/pre-shading. Nose panels where painted with Zinc Chromate prior to the Glossy Sea Blue.

Markings are from the Xtradecal X48104 'Yanks with Roundels Part 3' sheet. The aircraft depicted is JZ931 'C3-M' of 800 squadron, SEAC, at Trincomalee in October 1945.

I found a picture of this aeroplane on the internet having crash-landed; see here ...but only after I'd finished the model!

HellcatII-108.jpg

HellcatII-104.jpg

HellcatII-109.jpg

HellcatII-110.jpg

HellcatII-111.jpg

HellcatII-112.jpg

HellcatII-105.jpg

HellcatII-106.jpg

HellcatII-107.jpg

Edited by CplPunishment
  • Like 9

Cracking build and finish,the paintwork is outstanding,got the elusive scale gloss finish often talked about.

Steve, thanks for this particular comment. I did try for exactly that on this model. You can't see from these lighting angles, but I applied the carburundum non-slip walkways in very matt dark grey which only helps emphasise the sheen on the rest of the airframe. I used nothing more than Klear (Future) diluted heavily with Tamiya thinners (X-20A). It might also have been helped by polishing down the paint layers as I went and the natural gloss from the Xtracolour paint.

Edited by CplPunishment