Merlin HM.1 - Airfix 1/48 conversion

Well that's something else!

I have to say, when I saw this item I thought to myself "nice build"; then I saw "conversion" so knowing a little about the differences I read the WIP thread (in some detail) and now my gob is well and truly smacked - brilliant work and superb attention to detail. As has been mentioned earlier, looks OOB and if you display it you must ensure that some WIP details and photos are present - that conversion is so well integrated!

BTW - how many sheets of Archers did you use in the end - looks like loads!

ATB
Rick

Edited by Spad
  • Like 1

Wow, that is amazing,.......what a fabulous bit of modelling! Your other models are extremely nice too,.........you are a very talented individual!

Great modelling,..cheers for sharing,

Tony

• Like 1

You've obviously put a lot of hard work into this model, and you have a Merlin to be proud of :goodjob:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments everyone, I've been surprised how well this one went together, in the end it didn't take a lot more than plasticard and filler for the main changes, the Eduard set added a few nice details, but nothing really necessary to the build.

@Spad - it did take 3 sheets of the rivets, but with plenty left over, I'll definately use them again, the effect was perfect under a layer of primer.

Part of me would like to do another one, but size and the fact that there is only one colour scheme will probably get in the way of that (and the back-log of other projects) but I will be building one of the Junglie versions as soon as they get handed over so I can make the changes.

A

• Like 1

I will be building one of the Junglie versions as soon as they get handed over so I can make the changes.

I'll keep my eyes open for that one, i haven't picked up a Merlin yet, but will be sorely tempted once the Navy get theirs.

Happy modelling

Ant

• 1 year later...

Having just found the WIP I just have to say what an amazing job you have done,.......anybody who has not seen the work that you have put into this must look through it,......fantastic modelling and you made what is impossible to most of us look very easy indeed,.......proper modelling!

Great stuff,

Cheers

Tony

PS- Oh,....just noticed that I`d already commented on this one but May was a relatively long time ago when it comes to my memory,.....but how could I forget seeing this? It deserves a second `well done' anyway,.......I`m looking forward to your Junglie!

Edited by tonyot

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Fantastic job, I've worked on them for the past 15 years and that really does the cab proud. Not enough oil leaks tho(!) Waiting now for someone to put a folding head and tail on a Mk3 Model and make their very own Mk4!!

Very well done.

Pete

• 4 years later...

My son's with 814 NAS and I'm now looking at doing a 1/48 history of the squadron. It's great to see that a RN cab can be build from the Airfix kit! I'll start on Tamiya's OOB Swordfish first and work my way forward!

But seriously, that has to be one of the best scale model helicopters I have ever seen, absolutely stunning!