Merlin HM.1 - Airfix 1/48 conversion

Hi everyone,

Here's my conversion of the Airfix Merlin HC.3 to a Royal Navy HM.1. Along with plenty of scratchbuilding, it also benefits from the Eduard etched set, Archer rivet decals and Belcher Bits Stingray Torpedoes, by the time I'd finished, about the only parts not modified were the glazings. The WiP thread can be found here for anyone that's interested in seeing the changes:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234956388-airfixevergreen-merlin-hm1/

The aircraft I've modelled was part of 457 flight of 829 NAS Fleet Air Arm, based on HMS Lancaster. The airframe is overall Medium Sea Grey, much of the aircraft is faded, but with a few panels freshly painted. Markings are a combination of painting and various decal sheets from the spares box.

Andrew

Here are the photos:

merlin72_zps372673fb.jpg

merlin79_zpsc2e83ff3.jpg

merlin78_zps011da72a.jpg

merlin73_zpsebc1079f.jpg

merlin75_zps36218edc.jpg

merlin74_zpsc7d0f892.jpg

merlin76_zps265e7b52.jpg

merlin77_zpsf777d011.jpg

merlin69_zps83584eaf.jpg

merlin67_zps10dc210b.jpg

Finally, three family shots:

merlin68_zps1bc6b5b7.jpg

merlin70_zpsffc8dd61.jpg

merlin71_zps0c65f76e.jpg

• Like 51

Really superb work Andrew!

I'm just starting the same conversion on a 1/144 Anigrand casting bought from a certain bootneck! Your conversion has provided some good references. Thanks :goodjob:

• Like 1

Congratulations Andrew a splendid effort and build and thanks for sharing the build thread. I think you have the 'sit' of the main rotorblades just right.

Colin

• Like 2

Well, that certainly hit the spot.

Magic! :)

Graham

ps - the Sea King and, much as I hate to say it, the white elephant F-35 look good too.

pps - just noticed you sneaked in a tasty SHar too :)

• Like 1

Simply stunning, any chance you'll do another and make masters for an aftermarket conversion kit. We mere mortals live in hope.

Didn't realise how much bigger the Merlin is compared to the Sea King.

• Like 2