Vickers Wellington Mk.IC 1/48

Fell in love with this old aircraft a long time ago and have been waiting to start the Trumpeter kit for a while now,so after a little bit of research and a trip to Brooklands to see a real 'Wimpey' here we go.

During my research I realised from photos of the real Wellington aircraft that there are a number of errors with the excellent Trumpeter kit,some of them to name a few are:

. The tires supplied in the kit have tread,the real Wellington had slick tires,plus the tires supplied are rubber and won't give the model the look of weight they would've been supporting in the real aircraft.

. The cockpit modelled in the kit has dual controls,most Squadron based Wellington's during the war only had controls for the pilot,and as this is not going to be built up as a training aircraft my build will be realistic and only show controls for one.

. The geodetic framework modelled on the kit's wings is well over modelled and needs to be addresssed,it almost gives a slack look to the canvas or Irish linen used to cover the wings,had this been like this on real aircraft it would've created far too much drag.

Ok,with these problems that need to be addressed I shall endeavour to build my take on a Vickers Wellington Mk.IC.

After my little bit of aircraft research I purchased a few goodies that I hope will complement this excellent kit.

The Brengun resin slick weighted wheel set really looks great,you can see the bulge at the bottom of the tires where the weight would've shown,this is exactly what I wanted to show,just have a look at a real war time Wellington and you'll see where I'm coming from.

I also purchased the three Pavla resin sets made for the kit,which again are much better in detail over the kit parts,Eduard seatbelt and cockpit dash photo etch sets and some very nice resin Browning machine gun barrells from Quickboost.The bombay will be closed so I did'nt invest in Eduard's super bombay photo etch set for that.

I have'nt decided on what Squadron I intend this 'Wimpey' to represent yet,I'm still pondering on markings,but anyway I still have a lot of time to go before I need to decide on that one.There's a lot of internal work to complete first.

So here we go.

TrumpeterWellingtonMkIC001.jpg

TrumpeterWellingtonMkIC002.jpg

• Like 2

I'm following this one. I have been wanting a Wellington for some time now. One of my favourite bombers I love that lattice construction it looks cool ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow I totally managed to miss this thread. Have just started following- recently got a Trumpy 1/48 MkIII kit with all the resin you could shake a stick at. Am really looking forward to getting stuck into it but have too many ongoing builds at the moment to even think about it. WIll be watching your build with extra interest.