Ton class minesweeper kits?

Will Vale

Hi folks,

I watched The Life Aquatic again last night and as a result I'd really like to build the RV Belafonte, ideally in 1/350 since I like the scale.

The ship used in filming is apparently a modified Ton-class minesweeper, with various additions to get something close but not identical to Cousteau's Calypso. The Calypso was a modified BYMS minesweeper, so it's similar but different. I prefer the lines of the Belafonte.

I gather WEM did a resin kit in 1/350, but it's no longer available. Are there any other candidates? Also is there anything like the (modern) NRV Alliance which was used as Hennessey's ship?

I suppose one option would be to get Revell's Calypso re-issue, add a new bridge and extend the funnel to get something similar, but I'd probably rather build a little one than a big one.

Thanks in advance!

Will

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion. I can imagine that being do-able, but the kit has all the useful stuff like etched railings, etc. etc. which would mean the project would be less work. I'll think about it for a bit.

Cheers,

Will

• 11 months later...
  • 4 years later...

When will hms upton model be available to buy i served on pollington and wooton during my career and would like a model of the minesweeper as a keepsake and to fondly remember these long forgotten but esential part of the royal navy 

Any info greatly recieved

Thanks derrick

• Like 1

The post you refer to was written in 2015 and the kit has been out since then, although it is temporarily out of stock at the moment whilst it is being upgraded..  I travelled to Borneo from Singapore on Wilkieston during that conflict and so I have one of the kits.  It is a nice little kit

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...