Esci 1:48 LTV F8E Crusader

Well I finished my second effort.

9c0b4a853053dff7733e9b4960b441a9.jpg

This kit gets a very bad press, warped fuselages, wings like bananas etc. I guess I was lucky.

I only paid £5.00 for it at last years Yeovilton show and it's been a simple and fun build.

Admittedly some of the parts fit wasn't great. The wing wouldn't align with the fuselage for and aft and required some cutting, sanding and filling. The undercarriage doors were a bit of a nightmare and I resorted to drilling the fuselage to take the "hinges" and the rear cockpit canopy just didn't fit (maybe the fuselage halves were a bit warped.....) and took filler and fettling, still not right and the paint job suffered, best not to look to closely.

ee8cce3f3fccde6016655b5bf948c260.jpg

As previously sprayed with Tamiya and Vallejo and brush painted details with Humbrol enamel.

After my experience with old decals on my last build I used Aeromaster "Colourful Crusaders" #9, they went on a treat and look great I think.

c17bb0de5111d3934174c7844a98edcd.jpg

So great fun, good practise and not to shabby if not subject to close scrutiny.

Next up a departure from USN and a better quality kit altogether, my first "Frightening" Airfix 1:48 F2/F6.

ba8934d415ffd44d291eb5965abda861.jpg

Thanks for looking, be gentle!

TonyS

cb58d3952a6021aaac537b852a789fbe.jpg

• Like 2

Re decals

The aircraft depicted is from VMF-122 (later VMF(AW)-122) , "The Crusaders". They were the first Marine Corps squadron to be equipped with the LTV F8 Crusader in December 1957 at MCAS Beaufort and the squadron name was altered accordingly from "The Candystripers".

They operated the F8 till they were re-equipped with the F-4B Phantom in 1964.

In 2011 the Military Religious Freedom Foundation took exception to the cross of St George and shield and sword motifs and threatened legal action on religious grounds.......rather disappointingly (IMHO) the US military folded and the squadron reverted to an earlier name, the werewolves.

My unweathered bird is pictured shortly after this time....

6a0d698c43ed75a01a8d8289162671cb.jpg

The decals were produced for the Hsegawa Crusader and the rudder swords were way too big Nd had to be cut down accordingly, amazing how the same aircraft in the same scale can vary (I assume they were an accurate fit on the Hasegawa?).

Another blooper I made.

I got the angle on the ventral strakes wrong and along with a nose leg oleo angle error the strakes scraped along the deck.....oops!

Had to cut off and re angle the strakes, also gave the nose leg oleo less nitrogen pressure at the same time :-)

NB Vertical stabiliser was modded to remove rearward antenna bulge in original Esci kit form.

Best

TonyS

Edited by dhdove

I remember doing one of these back in the 80's, it was a tough kit even then but yours has come out well. Nice to see it again,

Cheers

John