SaintsPhil's 1/72 Harriers

They're solvent based paints, similar to Mr Color paints. They come pre thinned and clean up with cellulose thinners, so you need to have a good mask and ventilation to use them really. My main driver for trying them is Hiroboy is just up the road from where I work, so I can pop in and collect my order, to save on the postage!

• Like 2

I normally free hand spray, but it's a bit fiddly in 1/72, even if the masking took forever....

The smaller the scale, the longer it takes... ^_^ That's 3 very nice looking builds you've got there.

Another overdue update, for the GR7 I've painted the IRR Nato Green, I used Tamiya Nato Green, which initially I thought might be a bit bright, but as I hoped it darkened down after gloss coat. I've since added the decals, from an MA sheet.

imagejpg1-13.jpg

imagejpg1-14.jpg

imagejpg1-15.jpg

Next up is the GR3, again decals on

imagejpg1-16.jpg

imagejpg1-17.jpg

Finally the GR1, I've had a go with filters on this for the first time, to replicate fading in the Belize sun! I used the new True Earth Jet set, which I bought on a whim after seeing them on here! They're quite easy to use, recommending a satin surface, which is handy as Mr Color paints are satin. The only issue I did have was that they occasionally bead on the surface, maybe when I spray too much. You can wipe it off with a wet rag or cotton bud if you're quick though! I might add a tiny drop of detergent to to water next time to break the surface tension up.....

I used the light fading and light ageing filters on this:

imagejpg1-19.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by SaintsPhil
  • Like 4

Thanks chaps!

So far I'm not 100% sold on the filters but I think that's down to me learning to use them big plus is that you can clean them off with water if you make a mistake, as you as you're quick.

The gloss coat is Alclad Aqua gloss, applied with a brush. Never got on airbrushing gloss.

The things you have to endure for queen and country!! The chap who painted the sharks mouth on her sister ship is a member on here somewhere....

• Like 1

The things you have to endure for queen and country!! The chap who painted the sharks mouth on her sister ship is a member on here somewhere....

A hero of mine already, though I know nothing else of him.

Like the finish on the GR7, especially as the masking between the two colours can be tricky.

The decking behind the ejection seat on the GR3, is it normally the camo colour? i only ask as I have not painted this area on mine and I was going to paint it black.

Thanks, it was a tricky bit if masking, I used left over wheel masks from the eduard sets to make the rounded corners, too tip!

As far as I know the deck is the same as the surrounding Camo, so DG in my case, equally it could be admiralty grey, but they're pretty similar...I don't think it's black.

Phil

• Like 1

That two-tone green one is just amazing, even more so because you don't see them often. Trying to figure out if I can get those paints into the USA.

Thanks, it was a tricky bit if masking, I used left over wheel masks from the eduard sets to make the rounded corners, too tip!

As far as I know the deck is the same as the surrounding Camo, so DG in my case, equally it could be admiralty grey, but they're pretty similar...I don't think it's black.

Phil

Thanks.

That two-tone green one is just amazing, even more so because you don't see them often. Trying to figure out if I can get those paints into the USA.

I hate to say I think you'll struggle! You might find a supplier for the premixed but not for the customs, they can't be sent airmail.

Another update,

Pylons on both GR3 and 7 and sealed with matt varnish

imagejpg1-20.jpg

imagejpg2.jpg

Only a little weathering on GR7, might add a bit more exhaust staining and leave it at that

imagejpg3.jpg

imagejpg4.jpg

Weathering next on the GR3, all I've done so far is to add red/brown sealer to the wing panels.

GR1 catching up!

imagejpg5.jpg

imagejpg6.jpg

And finally something else turned up in the post today.....

5eb7222c-8796-4d66-857b-64192dee6346.jpg

I fancied a final configuration GR9 that served in afghan so that's the plan for number 4!

Phil

• Like 3

Blimey, is that a HUD cover on the GR7? That's what I call attention to detail.

Are you going the intake bungs, pitot covers, AoA sensor cover route on the outside too, Phil?

Bonus points for spotting that! I added that as the HUD is just a shapeless blob otherwise, I'm not going to both wig the other covers, as I went to the effort of masking the intake internals! I might make an AoA cover through as the sensor was a short mould on my kit. It's that or replace it....

Thanks for all the comments chaps!