Revell/Monogram 1:48 F-14A Tomcat VF-84 Jolly Rogers, Cdr Springer CAG CVW-8

Evening all.

Could I join this Group Build? Lots of goodies to use, and I have to say the choice between using the VF-84 "Jolly Rogers" scheme and the VF-41 "Black Aces" was a tortuous one. Anyway, here goes with the initial kit shot...

DSC013641_zpsc038dcc0.jpg

dc505ee3-57ab-4fe8-b765-fd157a04019d_zps

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 2

Icarus, welcome to the group build !

Looking forward to your build, I have a soft spot for the old Monogram kit, it was my first Monogram kit and my first 1/48 Tomcat..

Both markings are nice, I can understand it's a difficult choice. Personally both are important to me: when the Nimitz rejoined Sixth Fleet in the med. carrying those brand new Tomcats, there were many articles in the Italian press and one of them was on a magazine that a very young fella happened to read by accident... there started a love for that big twin engined jet fighter with those impressively coloured tail, a love that's still strong today !

• Like 1

Thank you Gorgio.

The Tomcat was a somewhat overweight aircraft that reportedly wasn't much use in a dogfight, but what a fantastic canvas for all those florid USN colour schemes.

Icarus

Just cleaned the sprues ready to start painting this. I am startled by how good the existing detail on the kit items is.

DSC013671_zps838b10f3.jpg

DSC013691_zps7056a6d1.jpg

In all honesty I'm struggling to justify using the Eduard pre-painted cockpit PE. First time I've ever said that about a build....

Icarus

I have been stuck at the in-laws for a while (it has to happen sometimes...) so a bit of a delay on this build. Anyway, initial painting of the cockpit and resin seats is done. Need to weather them all, and add a matt varnish to bring it all together:

DSC013791_zps11c8f828.jpg

Looking at this again, the reflections from the flash make the cockpit look an awful lot more weathered than it really is. Should look better with some matting down in the subsequent build..

DSC013801_zpsdd6bcaae.jpg

Icarus

Edited by Icarus

• 1 month later...

Morning all.

Haven't had much time to progress this recently - one house move, one 8-week year old, and a launch at work have derailed things somewhat. Anyway, this is an update..

Pre-gluing (those horizontal seams look like trouble..)

DSC014741_zps32d3919e.jpg

Use of brute force to try and get those seams minimised (by the way, note the emergency nappy-changing kit at the bottom of the picture!)....

DSC014771_zpsd8bc7280.jpg

And where we stand as of this morning...

DSC014781_zps7ba527ad.jpg

DSC014791_zpscd6fb4f9.jpg

As you can see, I'm STILL trying to sort out those seams! Bless Monogram/Revell. Just about to spray on the light gull grey over the repair work, some black on the dorsal and ventral fins (and as a base for the Alclad).

Hopefully more frequent updates from now on..

Icarus

Edited by Icarus

Ok. I think this is finished. I have some PE bits for the canopy, and a replacement white metal pitot, but I'm not sure they will much to the build. Will ponder, then post in the gallery as relevant

DSC014841_zps860a39a1.jpg

DSC014851_zps61506e97.jpg

DSC014871_zps05343b8e.jpg

Nice cockpit detail, despite the age of the kit. the seats are resin, from Quickboost

DSC014881_zpsa16d81e9.jpg

DSC014941_zps6aeba539.jpg

And the underside. Again, good detail in the wheel wells..

DSC014951_zps16b2bb14.jpg

Decals are from Aeromaster, with missile stencils from the spares box.

Thank you for looking.

Icarus

Edited by Icarus

Morning all. I gave in to temptation, and added the PE detail around the canopy, including frame and mirrors. I also added the G-Factor Models white metal pitot. I will incorporate some of the photos in the Gallery:

DSC015071_zps401b6d09.jpg

DSC015111_zpsce961a79.jpg

DSC015121_zpsd041565b.jpg

Icarus