The bonus of the 1/72 kit is it's all there, simple to build and cheap, so you can practice and build up to the 1/48 kit!

To answer your earlier question the afghan jets were indeed in dark sea grey and dark camo grey

Nothing quite prepares you for the horrors of the Tamiya 1/48th kit though :hanging:

• Like 2

Well, just purchased the GR7/9 Airfix kit as suggested, will do the 2006 Herrick GR7. Am looking at an FA2/GR7 Airfix combi - good price and maybe I can do an Op Telic Harrier too...I know it has raised panel lines, but not too worried at this stage....have to think about it!

Having enjoyed the LTAT GB so much, would like to pitch in here too now :) Have the new 1/72 Airfix GR9 in the stash that I've been planning as ZG858 Poison 1 from the retirement flight, to go alongside T12 ZH665 Poison 2 that was my first model out of retirement last year.

Couple of questions before I begin though; firstly, does anyone know where I can get some of the pylon fairings in 1/72 (like these that were produced a while ago in 1/48 http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/74889-148th-harrier-pylon-fairings/). Secondly, does anyone know a good match for the red on the tailfin in acrylics? Closest I've found is Tamiya XF8, but not too sure about it.

Many thanks

general question - tools wise I just have some snips, sanding sticks, pliers etc - I need to drill some holes out - what do people recommend drill wise?

I use a cheap little pin vise, myself. On Amazon or ebay you can get them for a very small amount of money and a number of bits, preferably those in the 61-80 size range.

Thanks for the advice, I will order one, the Tamiya one looks ok - what do you mean by 61-80 range? The bits on the Tamiya are 0.2 to 0.5MM. looking at some of the holes, one I am looking at is 0.8mm?

Well my Airfix 1/72 GR7/9 has arrived, so, against better judgement and advice, I will do Lucy from Op Herrick in 1/72 (looks so Dinky!!) and Jedi 3 with the REvell 1/48 kit as it has a 65% LERX as per the kit and is MSG so shouldn't be too bad....never gonna be to you guys standards and will be OOB and in flight for the boys ceiling - just aiming for a good basic OOB model!

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, I will order one, the Tamiya one looks ok - what do you mean by 61-80 range? The bits on the Tamiya are 0.2 to 0.5MM. looking at some of the holes, one I am looking at is 0.8mm?

Ah, I had no idea, but apparently here we use bit gauge instead of bit diameter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_bit_sizes#Drill_Bit_Conversion_Table Live and learn.

No GPS on a GR5.

I'm reasonably sure the strengthening plates were the result of discoveing cracks after some time in service - so not GR5.

Kirk

Are you sure about the strengthening plates?

When I did my GR to AV8 build there was some discussion about them and it was found early on the retrofitted to all in service jets. The US ones have them internally to the airframe I believe, I can't find my thread at the moment to double check...

Are you sure about the strengthening plates?

Nope! :winkgrin:

I've been staring at far too many pictures of Harriers recently to be sure that any 2 aircraft are alike - although I'm concentrating on the cockpit area (which I'm prepared to be more confident about) for a CAD model on which I'm working. I can say that Hasegawa 1:48 Harriers are missing the interior ventilation ducts & one of the more prominent frames, and have an extra ECS vent on the starboard cockpit flank that is only on the radar aicraft... :hypnotised::frantic::banghead: .

I was aware that the aft fuselage issue was identified early in the Harrier II's life but the relatively few pics I have seen of GR5s seem to be fresh out of Dunsfold and so in their unadorned state; I'll happily defer to you on this one.

Cheers,

Kirk

Hi guys, I am an in need of some help. I want to make my GR3 as a FAlkland war machine with two LGB's under the wings. But I have no idea witch one to use. Cold someone please help me.

Cheers,

I have got two sets from hasegawa with GBU's are those usable?! I have got no Tonka in 1/72. I normaly build in 1/48.

O, what wheight did they have. 1000 pounds?!

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

How do Harrier tail codes work? I put '61A' (using Kits-World 8" RAF serial numbers set - meant for WWII Bomber Command, but the font looked right) on mine simply because the reference pic I have for ZG471 has it with a '61A' tail code, not because I know anything else about it!

Arniec,

I don't think the Paveway II's from the Hasegawa weapons sets are what you need since they depict the LGB kits attached to US Mk80 series bombs rather than RAF GP bombs. I used RAF Paveways II's I found in the 1/72 Airfix Buccaneer kit for my GR7.

I have got two sets from hasegawa with GBU's are those usable?! I have got no Tonka in 1/72. I normaly build in 1/48.

O, what wheight did they have. 1000 pounds?!

Cheers,

Cookenbacher's right. You'd want some RAF Paveways; the ones in the Revell Tornado are quite nice.

How do Harrier tail codes work? I put '61A' (using Kits-World 8" RAF serial numbers set - meant for WWII Bomber Command, but the font looked right) on mine simply because the reference pic I have for ZG471 has it with a '61A' tail code, not because I know anything else about it!

Arniec,

I don't think the Paveway II's from the Hasegawa weapons sets are what you need since they depict the LGB kits attached to US Mk80 series bombs rather than RAF GP bombs. I used RAF Paveways II's I found in the 1/72 Airfix Buccaneer kit for my GR7.

I think Bill summarised it on Tim's thread so I'll see if I've got it straight; The first 2 digits were sequential across the fleet and an "A" appears if the aircraft is fitted with the more powerful Mk 107 engine. So the last single seater ZG862 is either 94 or 94A depending on dates. As I mentioned elsewhere, the "A" doesn't always reflect the fitment on the day.

KIrk

Thanks Kirk. So it functions more like a serial number than a squadron ID in that it is permanently attached to an individual aircraft regardless of squadron affiliation?

Edited by Cookenbacher

• 2 weeks later...

The Harrier SIG colour reference sheet has the undercarriage and airbrake bays listed as a (very dirty) Satin White for RAF/RN aircraft. There are no specific Harrier types given so I assume that this is universal.???