Probably exacerbated by the fact it was only worn for one sortie and pics in the public domain are as rare as rocking horse poo! Try searching for Operation Warden or by aircraft serial number, I find I get much better results. It's also worth searching for 'Harrier GR7 Incirlik'. There is a thread on here somewhere with some pics of other Op Warden jets, but I don't have time to find it and link it just now.

Mark.

I think I started that thread Mark when I was building mine! Unless there's another one....there's very little in the way of pictures, which can work both ways, use artistic license and no one can prove you wrong!!

• Like 1

Here's the thread, I think: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39923-op-warden-1994-incirlik-afb-turkey/

Hard to tell from the angles of the photos, but they look like their weathering might be covered by a simple (for me) panel line wash. The thread mentions a loadout of two AIM-9Ls, two CBU-87s, and a Vinten recce pod, but I think I also see a phimat on the outer station. Does the Airfix GR7/9 have a Vinten pod in it?

Here's the thread, I think: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/39923-op-warden-1994-incirlik-afb-turkey/

Hard to tell from the angles of the photos, but they look like their weathering might be covered by a simple (for me) panel line wash. The thread mentions a loadout of two AIM-9Ls, two CBU-87s, and a Vinten recce pod, but I think I also see a phimat on the outer station. Does the Airfix GR7/9 have a Vinten pod in it?

That's the winner!

Yes, the new tool GR7/9 does come with a Digital Joint Reconnaisannce Pod (or DJRP). Whilst externally similar to the early versions of the Vinten pod employed during Op Warden, the internal gubbins was a little different. But if you really want to push the boat out, go for one with an old GR3 recce pod! I've got a pic of one in an old AFM on RAF TacRecce and that's how my Op Warden Harrier will be loaded out.

Mark.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips and info Mark!

That looks like a PHIMAT on the left outboard station to me too Procopius.

A question I have is whether the GR7 carried the Sniper pod in Herrick or just TIALD? I think I'm going to use a TIALD since that's what's shown in the main reference pic I'm using, and I happened to pick one up in on a whim in my first ever Hannant's order.

Thanks for the link Procopius, and thanks for clearing this up Phil, that was my main concern - I'm specifically modeling GR7A ZG471 (it was never upgraded to GR9 standards) because I like its ultra-cool mismatched panels in a pic I found in an Air Forces Monthly Herrick Harriers supplement from a few years ago. The text of the supplement (and every web source I've seen) is very vague about whether GR7's ever carried Sniper. There was one mention of a detachment all using TIALD because it was a mixed force of GR7's and GR9's, which lead me to question the Airfix instructions in the first place.

Here's the only web pic I've found of ZG471 in the desired scheme - you have to scroll about 1/3 of the way down the page:

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/310140-harrier-cottesmore-1600-today-4.html

The pic in the Air Forces Monthly supplement is much better, but I have no idea how to show it here without violating copyright.

Those pics are cool!

One other thing to note on those 2 harriers, is that ZD380 is a GR9A, and has 'frog eye' scoops with a 65% LERX where as ZG471 is, as you said a 7A so has no scoops, but still has the 65% LERX. Just to illustrate it's not always 100% LERX jets that have the scoops! It's part of the upgrade, as they ran wires inside the wings blocking off the fire access ports I believe!

• Like 1

Someone on the 72nd aircraft forum was kind enough to mail out to me decals for the ARTF-painted sharkmouth GR.7 in Turkey in the 1990s -- I'm continually amazed, I should mention, at the kindness of the international modelling fraternity -- so it looks like I'll be build that particular bird. One thing, though...has anyone ever seen a photo of this aircraft anywhere? I couldn't find one during a spate of intensive googling.

There is a photo of this aircraft in World Air Power Journal Vol22/Autumn/Fall 1995 Page 6.

• Like 1

I don't know if my question has been covered before. Apologies if it has.

What were the two greys used by Desert Storm AV-8Bs? I cannot find any reference to the specific colours. I can only find comments about "the grey-on-grey scheme" as though it was so obvious that everyone knows. :)

I have also heard conflicting stories about the method of repainting. Some sources state that the aircraft were completely repainted for the operation. Others state that the green of the standard USMC scheme was overpainted with a light grey leaving the 36099 Dark Grey intact.

All comments and suggestions gratefully received.

I don't know if my question has been covered before. Apologies if it has.

What were the two greys used by Desert Storm AV-8Bs? I cannot find any reference to the specific colours. I can only find comments about "the grey-on-grey scheme" as though it was so obvious that everyone knows. :)

I have also heard conflicting stories about the method of repainting. Some sources state that the aircraft were completely repainted for the operation. Others state that the green of the standard USMC scheme was overpainted with a light grey leaving the 36099 Dark Grey intact.

All comments and suggestions gratefully received.

It depends on where the aircraft that you are building originally came from. From what I can glean from the "Crowood" book on the Harrier by Andy Evans, some of the Harriers belonging to VMA-513 were already in the HTPS (Harrier tactical paint scheme) and so they were in effect ready for action. The other units, VMA-331, VMA-311 and VMA-542, all paid visits to Cherry Points NADEP to receive their new camouflage which came from standard Gunship Grey, FS 36118 and Dk Gull Grey, FS 36231 paint stock, although at least two examples from VMA-542 (162945 being one) were noted at Cherry Point carrying overall Lt Ghost Grey, FS 36375.

VMA-231 were not so fortunate in being based in Japan and had to make alternative arrangements. What they did was take Lt Ghost Grey from the locally based F/A-18 Hornet Sqns and sprayed as the base colour. They then took another can of this paint and put in a coffee cup full of black into it which made a contrasting shade of grey (nearest comparison being Dk Ghost Grey FS 36320) and followed the contours of their original colour scheme. They also painted the interior of the intakes gloss white so to kill any shadow and make the aircraft harder to see from head-on.

I hope that this is of some help.

• Like 2

Hi All,

Want to join the GB, however it will be very basic OOB stuff, as I am only just back modelling after 25 years!

I Have the Revell 1/48 GR7/9 set, also have a set of the disbandment decals - however I have history with the Harrier, I served in 3 PARA for 25 years and used Harrier air support during Op Telic 1 in 2003 and also as a JTAC in Helmand during Op Herrick 4 in 2006 and Op Herrick 8 in 2008 - so it has got me and my colleagues out of the proverbial a few times, along with Apache.

I would like to do a Herrick jet, but would need weapons, such as the Paveway IV 500lb and CVR7 Rockets as per the link below:

http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=67373

interestingly my Platoon Comd was a Capt Andy Blackmore, brother of James Blackmore RN, who flew the Harrier.

So - where could I get the correct weapons (Sniper, TERMA, DJRP, CVR7 x2, Paveway IV x 2 - 2 x BOL's are in the kit), and also is there Herrick Decals - I have looked, but no joy, but have seen mention of them.

If its too much and too complicated, may just go for JEDI 3, flown by James on the disbandment flight!

Help!!

GR9_zps70a9b0a2.jpg?t=1401455157

GR9_zpsa98ff5c6.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 2

I Have the Revell 1/48 GR7/9 set, also have a set of the disbandment decals - however I have history with the Harrier, I served in 3 PARA for 25 years and used Harrier air support during Op Telic 1 in 2003 and also as a JTAC in Helmand during Op Herrick 4 in 2006 and Op Herrick 8 in 2008 - so it has got me and my colleagues out of the proverbial a few times, along with Apache.

I hate to be reductive about what was probably a stressful and sometimes frightening set of experiences, but that's an incredibly cool association with the jet to bring to the GB.

For Herrick Harriers (Herrickiers?), Olimp makes a 1:48 set of resin weapons with a small decal sheet for either ZD408 or ZD347; it's on Hannant's here: http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ORA4822

No CRVs, but it does appear to have the Paveways.

• Like 2

Thanks Procopius - yes it was stressful at times, the whole tour became infamous as we were the first UK troops in Helmand and were pretty much fighting daily - but I have to say it was what I joined for and the most rewarding period of my career - tinged with sadness for those we lost and those who were injured both physically and mentally - hence the wish to do the Herrick Harrier.

Will take a look.

Ta again!

Firstly welcome to the GB! What a great reason to build a harrier.

For decals you don't need specific ones, as the jets didn't carry squadron markings, you could just chop up the SN and move it about to make the one you need, or I'm sure we can help you out if you don't have the correct numbers.

As for weapons rocket pods are available in this set

http://www.belcherbits.com/lines/148conv/bb18.htm#

Paveway IV from here:

http://www.larsenal.com/catalogue/index.php?id_page=6&id_article=1432&ars8115155229=ars8115155229

Or you can mod some GBU12s which are available in plastic form in various places

DJRP is available cast in resin from a Britmodeller member (whose name currently escapes me!)

Sniper from various places in resin or plastic, but you'll have to make your own pylon, unless you go with the Olimp set as that has it, plus the Therma. The set is expensive and the casting isn't the best I've read (not sen it in the flesh).

If you were there in the early days you could go with a GR7 and load it up with Paveway III plus dumb 1000lbers like some of these

http://www.aviation-news.co.uk/archive/herricksharriers.html

Just need a TIALD pod then

http://amraamline.50megs.com/line.htm

Hope that lot helps, ask away with any more questions!

Thanks very much SaintsPhil - will have to have a look and weigh it all up - adding all the parts together or getting the Olimp set (also has decals) - I am not going to be that worried about 'uber detail' - I haven't the skills or knowledge yet, and all my models will be in-flight and in either of my boys room or the games room ceilings, so want I want is a model that looks like a harrier in the right colours and decals with the correct weapons. Once I get the hang of resin, airbrushes (just got an Iwata Neo CN - never airbrushed before!) etc, I may start trying to get more detailed.

I take it that the schemes were Dark Sea Grey on top and Dark Cam Grey elsewhere???

I have a healthy stash of RAF Lakenheath themed aircraft (I come from Lakenheath village) and kits from my military career (Tornados, Bucc, Jaguar, Canberra, Typhoon, Phantom, Hunter etc) to keep me going!

couple of pics from 2008 at KAF

KAFHarriers2_zpsced137c5.jpg

KAFHarriers_zpsc46c6b92.jpg

Edited by Tim Moff
  • Like 4

Thanks - got plenty more, not many Harrier related, so probably not the place! Just gives guys the idea of the kit we used - the Sniper Pod was brill, even if we didn't call the harrier in to strike we could use it to observe compounds etc...

Quality pictures!

On the model front have you considered down scaling to the Airfix GR7/9 kit in 1/72 instead as a first go? Most of what you need is in the box, you can build Lucy from the box. The 1/48 Revell kit is nice, but it's a complicated build!

• Like 1

Thanks - maybe an idea, have stuck to 1/48 so far, maybe do a 1/72 Herrick build and stick to a basic retirement for the 1/48?

The bonus of the 1/72 kit is it's all there, simple to build and cheap, so you can practice and build up to the 1/48 kit!

To answer your earlier question the afghan jets were indeed in dark sea grey and dark camo grey

Edited by SaintsPhil