Sword Lightning T4 & T5

jaw

Happy bunny

Given the good Feed back these kits have received already here I just ordered a T4 and T5 from Ebay,

Then Spoke to my wife regarding Fathers day and she had no ideas what the boys would be getting me (ie it's always left to the parents isn't it! ;) ) So I asked if the boys could buy me one of each of these too, in the end she kindly bought me 2 x T5's and 2 x T4's (I owe her for the second set but next week I should have 6 in the stash

I have a feeling these are going to be, an in demand item, hence my partner ordering 2 of each for me. ie I've grabbed my fill early over waiting! I have a feeling this is one model not to sit on the fence over! ie at £15 pounds it's a good price I don't think stock will last long. I may be wrong, but I'd rather have the kits in the stash and eat humble pie, over not have them and having to pay a stupid price to get one (Airfix 1/72 TSR-2 springs to mind)

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the kits appear, if the Cable duct on the T4 is all of the problems I'll be well happy, as was said it should not be difficult to correct this issue.

Dave

Edited by zero

Well I couldn't wait to get started on this and have still to try and get the assembled cockpit to fit. For the last hour & half I've been fettling with it and still haven't got it fixed.

Initially it looks like the plastic cockpit tub is too wide when dry fitting the fuselage together. All you have on either fuselage side is a couple of ledges to rest the tub on. Don't take too much off the sides of the tub or it won't sit straight longitudinally.

To say that fitting the cockpit tub is a pain is an understatement. To locate the instrument console correctly would be a chance in a million. If the tub is situated too high then the console will raise the coaming too high, the nock-on effects are horrendous, but I will get there. Grrrrr

Apart from all that, I'm really glad that we have this kit available to us, but the first stages of assembly are a modellers challenge.

I just hope this doesn't put me off, let alone all you other modellers!

Martin

Just got mine, one of each, haven't started them yet but noticed the etch is the same for both which is a pity as it gives a T5 instrument panel and the T4 should be very different so I'll be off to the Modeldecals for one - I should have the relevant bit of set 70. How long can I resist starting them even with a dozen or so part built kits lurking around?

Ross

Now found the decals and b.....r me if it doesn't look like a T5 panel on them! Not going to worry though and as I'm doing an early one I want a black cockpit rather than grey so decal it is.

Edited by rossm

Mine arrived today, haven't had much chance to take a close look but the fuselage halves are very similar to the Neomega resin conversion. I'll have to compare them more closely when I get the chance.

Shame that they have moulded on the longer, T5, cable ducts but a few minutes with a sharp blade should sort that out.

Duncan B

Probably they used photos of them at airshows there....

I think they have used Dick Ward's book "Lightning Squarons of the RAF" as the source for the colour schemes. The box art suggests a dark grey upper and light grey lower for XV328, but the photo I have looks to be a paler and very dirty upper surface; any ideas?

Grr. The DHL guy turned up this morning when I was out. I'll now have to wait until late Monday before I can fondle the plastic and admire the Xtradecal artistry.

Never mind, this will be an incentive to finish off the Revell Haribo 737 as soon as possible. I'm doing it as a gag for work, where we have a tub of Gummibärchen or similar to keep us awake during afternoon meetings when the post-prandial slump kicks in (it's a popular excuse, at least).

Had good result at Hendon today,picked up a T4 for £12 as the box was damaged,I always liked the small fin birds better than the square topped ones too :-)

Both the Lightnings now showing as sold out at Hannants. I wonder how many they shifted?

They said they got 750 of them when I picked mine up just as they were unboxing them. Did not ask if it was 750 of each of them or 750 in total.

They also told me when I asked where they were as I could not find them on the shelves, that they were sold out on the same day they got delivered. Good job they were only joking :)

Had good result at Hendon today,picked up a T4 for £12 as the box was damaged,I always liked the small fin birds better than the square topped ones too :-)

Likewise. Bought one(T5) from Paul Francis at £12.00. Always has kits slightly cheaper and often has ones I want so bought from him again yesterday for my second one.

• Like 1

Well I've got my 2 as well :thumbsup: ......typical Sword kit, might have to do some modelling not assembling :analintruder:........biggest problem I'll have is deciding which marking scheme to do :shutup:.......I foolishly got both decal sheets too......duh...... :mental:

cheers

Dave :coolio:

Edited by DaveH

Got my 3 T5 kits today and overall they look pretty good although the LTF fin marking looks to be nearer 1/48 rather than 1/72?

The Xtradecal sheet arrived as well and I'm a bit disappointed with it. The pink/light blue roundels are far too small and appear to be 1/144 scale!

Also the LTF fin flash's have some odd lines behind the lion. I'll email Hannants about it, maybe they will issue an addendum sheet if enough of us have a winge. :shrug:

I've sussed out the LTF fin marking problem on the new Xtradecal sheet, the decal artist has put a 65Sqn badge instead of the Binbrook Lion between the two blue bars. I've emailed Hannants and they are looking into it, but without issuing a correction there's not a lot they can do. :shrug:

They also reduced the size of the roundels due to complaints they were to big. Surely if they are scaled correctly there is only one size they can be, the right one!

• Like 1

I'm disappointed that the Xtradecal sets have so many errors but at least they E mailed me to tell me of the issues they were aware of. An addendum would be appreciated.

Duncan B

• Like 1

My T.4 arrived in the mail today. Happy!

Here's the email from David Hannant.

Dear Paul,

I will get the person who did the artwork to check your points, no one else has mentioned them.

Interestingly while it was being prepared someone else complained that the pink/pale blue roundels on one of our earlier sheets were too big. These sheets were done by a different artist and the person doing the new sheets double checked and agreed the earlier ones were slightly oversize but that the ones he was putting on X72201 were correct.

Either way I can't promise a correction sheet, we have done it in the past and have got lots of corrections laying about which no one wants. The best I can promise is that any errors will be corrected for another print run, if there is one.

I will get back to you when I hear from the artist, but this may take a little time because he has recently had a domestic crisis.

Regards,

David Hannant.

• Like 1

That is good to read, Hannant's obviously know how to respond to their customers concerns. I can understand that they can't do anything about the current production run but are willing to investigate the issues and correct them if required, very positive feedback from them I'd say.

Duncan B

Here's the email from David Hannant.

I've used hannants many times, you can't fault there service, and what seems their dedication to get it right.

Couple of times I've had cause to complain, both decal faults, both times the error was corrected.

Faultless service, and now again thanks to Hannants, I have 4 more lightnings in the stash.

I also will be buying several of there lightning sheets, which I feel are really good value for the price asked, and with neary 20 kits, of several different types, I'm going to need a few.

Dave