Airfix vs Revell 1/144 Saturn V kits, which is better and why?

I'm not a hugh space modeller, but had a look at the box of the Revell (presumably ex-Monogram) 1/144 Saturn V kit in my local model shop today. I was not aware of the kit and assume it dates from the 70's, can anyone advise how it compares to the Airfix one? The photo's on the side of the box looked pretty good. I remember the Airfix one from my brother building way back around 1980 (wow, feeling old now!)

Thanks.

Colin

As has been said, the major errors of the original Airfix Saturn V (and the Saturn IB) have been corrected in the new releases of both kits.

The main improvements have been to the lunar module fairing, the Service Module panel detail and the Boost Protective Covering (the cone that covered the Command Module during launch).

The original kit suffered from the wrong shaped Lunar Module fairing - which had a knock on effect on the size of the Service Module (which was too small width wise). Also the original Service Module panelling was based on the Block I Service Module panels. Block Is were not used for any of the manned missions (except for Apollo 1 - which, as we know, was never launched).

The new versions of the Airfix kits (V and IB) whilst not perfect, are MUCH better now than the original releases.

If you can find issue 1, (December 2010), of Airfix Model World, there is a build article by Mat Irvine on the Airfix Saturn V and how to improve the accuracy of it. The article coincided nicely with my build of this kit, which is one I'd wanted many years ago when my pocket money wouldn't stretch to kits this big or airbrushes.

I realised a small childhood dream when I built this, which must be the most awkward shape to photograph ever.

IMG_1412_zps0af21456.jpg

Some of the parts need work to tidy up the results of elderly moulds but it builds into an impressive model. I glued all the stages of mine together but they can be made to be separable and there are aftermarket bits that improve the accuracy of the engines and bulkheads if you want to go that far.

Spraying white paint over white primer on white plastic is a bit eye-watering but the black bits are easier to see. It uses quite a lot of masking tape though!

Cheers,

Paul

I couldn't decide which one to get and google just brought me pictured of the big 1:96 version. Ended up with the Airfix one and it's pretty impressive. Painting it is a **** though. Although you can chuck the Command module part away. While it was nice of Airfix to include the proper Launch Escape covers rather than just the main part glued onto the top (even revell did that with the big one and it ruined the look) you end up with a tiny capsule that's horribly out of proportion.

There's a few bit you can get from eBay which may help; especially with the engines. In practice they were covered in insulation blankets which the kit does not replicate at all.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-144-Saturn-V-Skylab-F-1-engine-set-Airfix-Revell-/221420673672?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item338db35a88

cheers,

Ken

• Like 1

The J2 engines on the second stage are completely inaccurate on the Revell 1/144 kit (which was originally produced by Monogram). The Airfix one is far superior.

• 4 weeks later...

I am thinking of building the Saturn V at 1/144 as my next project.

I'll probably get the Airfix model based on the critique of members from this post. Thanks!