Semi gloss black paint issue !

Mike100

Hi all I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good semi gloss - satin black paint for brushing ? I've used Humbrol and Revell and both don't give a very good finish and I've heard Tamiya is not much better either so any recommendations would be helpful .

Cheers Mike

I've always used Humbrol on ships (liner) hulls and had a very good finish with a brush

It does need a lot of stirring to get a even tint.

Having said that, it is a little while since I did one so perhaps the formula has changed.

Maybe it is being affected by temperature and/or humidity???

Hi Mike

I would actually say try Tamiya.

Been using it for the last ten year and never had a hiccup and would prefer to use Tamiya paints over any others (My opinion only)

The Acrylic SGB is a bit iffy, and it needs a damn good thrash stirring, but the enamels are fine.

Steve

Mike,

The Humbrol Aqua paints are quite good, thin it with water and some flow retarder then use a flat brush.

The same would apply to Tamiya paints too .

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

Try Games Workshop acrylic paint. I use it for brush painting, and for air brushing. It thins with water, or acrylic medium.

It brushes very well, is very dense paint that covers very well, and flows beautifully. The containers have the best seal I've found, not like screw tops or the little cans of Humbrol.

I used it recently on a Ju 52 model and it dries maybe a little shinier than a semi-gloss, but not glossy.

I think you can even buy it in a spray can.

Games Workshop makes the Warhammer series of game pieces.

Edited by Richard B.

hi mike don't know what you are painting but if it's something like leather seats I've found in the past that artists oil paints give a really great leather effect, the only problem is the length of drying time, although that is also one of the benefits as you can work it for so long, and if as its drying you don't like the effect a little white spirt will wet it again and you can either remove it or work it some more to get it how you want.

Oh and I just remembered another trick my dad used to use many years ago was to mix talcum powder with the gloss paint to make it semi gloss for his model trains, don't know the ratio though this would have been the mid 60s and my memory can't be trusted that far back, I do remember it did give a good effect though.

Edited by kpnuts

over all the years i have used matt paint brushed on, i always used humbrol enamels. however if you want the best matt/satin finish then you will need an airbrush. it is by far the best finish you could wish for. easy too. believe me, after mastering the airbrush, you will only use brushes for detailing on cars.

• 3 weeks later...