A-12 to SR-71 Titanium Quintuplets Complete

Well guys I am calling these four done, just over 9 weeks from start to finish and I have to say this is one commission I wish I could keep. sad.gif
Each airframe has been based on a specific image/images as per my customer¡¦s requirements, we must have exchanged a few dozen emails since then ironing out specifics.
All four are based on the standard 1/72 SR-71 and YF-12A kits with the addition of various Eduard etch detail, Wolfpack Seats and the Kiwi Resin Conversion Sets for the A-12 and M-21.
Hope you all enjoyed the WIP reports.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234957317-a-12-to-sr-71-titanium-quintuplets-wip/

Helped keep me sane that is for sure.happy.gif

Would not even like to have a guess at the hours put in but it allot that's all I know. :banghead:

As usual all painted with Tamiya acrylics.

It was a big project so lots of pictures.
102_7737.jpg
102_7708.jpg
A-12
102_7731.jpg
102_7733.jpg
102_7735.jpg
102_7705.jpg
102_7704.jpg
YF-12A
102_7730.jpg
102_7729.jpg
102_7727.jpg
102_7702.jpg
102_7701.jpg
M-21
102_7721.jpg
102_7720.jpg
102_7724.jpg
102_7700.jpg
102_7697.jpg
SR-71, this has proved tough to photograph, the weathering is a little stronger in reality, allot of the softer detail does not show up to well.
102_7718.jpg
102_7715.jpg
102_7725.jpg
102_7689.jpg
102_7714.jpg
102_7689.jpg

Still another 2 to do these were recent additions to the project and not part of the original plan, A-12 Trainer the Titanium Goose with Kiwi Resin Conversion.
This is going to be tricky as the 2nd cockpit is completely different to the SR-71B and will need to be scratch built. The second bird is the SR-71B, going to have a few days off and then get stuck into these two.

Hope you all enjoy them, been a great project for me.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

Edited by danimalmagic
  • Like 26

That's amazing work and what extraordinary aeroplanes they were. I can't believe that anything yet to fly will have the same impact that the Blackbird family did. Thanks very much for sharing this.

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

Must be like giving away the kids! Actually...now I think of it...there's an idea :banghead:

Seriously - top modelling. Stunners, each one of them

• Like 1

They are wonderful! There is a quite difficult to do the weathering at such self color surface... And you did it! You did it very well!

Just onе evil (or harmful... Do not know how it will be correctly) question: why the wheels at the main gear are silver not black as fhe rubber?

Kind regards! Egor.

• Like 1

That's amazing work and what extraordinary aeroplanes they were. I can't believe that anything yet to fly will have the same impact that the Blackbird family did. Thanks very much for sharing this.

Cheers,

Roger

Could not agree more Roger, a great commission for me that i really enjoyed and i still have another 2 to build.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

They are all awesome, I'm particularly impressed with the weathering on the SR-71

• Like 1

Absolutely amazing!

The NMF with Tamiya acrylics is stunning.

Karl

Cheers Karl.

Tamiya Acrylics are fine for Titanium as it is not a polished finish in reality, i have used Titanium and machined it, my bike exhausts are Titanium as well, it is a mottled finish so Metalizer paints would be an expensive waste.

My process is simple enough and works every time, let me know if you want more info.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

Must be like giving away the kids! Actually...now I think of it...there's an idea :banghead:

Seriously - top modelling. Stunners, each one of them

Cheers Andy.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

They are wonderful! There is a quite difficult to do the weathering at such self color surface... And you did it! You did it very well!

Just onе evil (or harmful... Do not know how it will be correctly) question: why the wheels at the main gear are silver not black as fhe rubber?

Kind regards! Egor.

That is a good question with an easy answer, the tyres are made from a 20+ ply material impregnated with Aluminium oxide to disperse the heat generated in the tyre. The tyre is also filled with Nitrogen to help reduce the risk of the tyre exploding, the gear bays are also fitted with a protective shield against tyre explosion, you can see it in my pictures.

The Aluminium Oxide gives the tyre a silver finish, if you google SR-71 tyres you will see what i mean.

Hope that answers your question and thanks for looking.

Danny

• Like 2

They are all awesome, I'm particularly impressed with the weathering on the SR-71

Thanks, the weathering was a real challenge and i gave it a great deal of thought, some of the finer detail does not show up which is a pity but i am very pleased with the outcome.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

stunning work , amazing nmf's and great job on the weathering. 4 fantastic builds :goodjob:

Tamiya Acylics all the way and not the spray cans, if you want more info just pm me, my process is simple and works every time.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

That's a very impressive collection, beautiful work! :)

Thanks, a great project for me and i really enjoyed it.

Thanks for looking.

Danny