v2 British Airways A380 1/144 Revell & 26 Decal Build - W.I.P.

Hi (updated 14-5-14) - please see last entry if interested

Fresh off the stock shelf is a Revell 1/144 A380 undergoing a British Airways colour scheme using 26 Decals and Ray's detailing set. I checked the forum yesterday and enjoyed looking at the archives of other similar builds in this colour scheme which has given me a few finishing touches ideas for next week when I hope to have her completed.

Having spent a long time previously carving up my RAF L1011's wings to portray deployed flaps and slats, I have decided to take the short cut and produce an "in flight" model of the A380 leaving the wings and undercarriage alone.

I always like to have a good stock of all my modelling tools, paints, tapes, primers etc however this kit has been particularly greedy having used all my decent masking tape and primer up - and why I bothered the pre-shading I just don't know now as it was a total waste of time. I went to great effort to angle my airbrush when adding the white and blue but the desired effect failed for some reason - it always worked before on previous kits so I will have to settle for an oil wash over the panel lines once varnished and decaled.

Its not a terribly exciting subject but I have had true red, white and blue BA blood for the last 47 years and thought I would give it a go just for fun. This will have to be a ceiling hanger when completed (much to my wife's annoyance but she doesn't know about this addition to come yet!)

For what its worth - please enjoy

DSCF4610_zpsf93d2864.jpg

DSCF4611_zps4af26b7d.jpg

DSCF4612_zps413aa394.jpg

DSCF4616_zpsde7401b4.jpg

DSCF4620_zpsd2aad191.jpg

DSCF4623_zpsef5af148.jpg

DSCF4625_zps534896d1.jpg

DSCF4627_zps1af0fda1.jpg

DSCF4628_zps0bdccb08.jpg

DSCF4629_zps60e8a59e.jpg

DSCF4630_zps4f410e23.jpg

DSCF4631_zps3b30539e.jpg

DSCF4632_zps5db89a1e.jpg

DSCF4633_zpsfee1ced4.jpg

DSCF4634_zps227b15b4.jpg

DSCF4635_zps156050cc.jpg

DSCF4636_zps28770d58.jpg

DSCF4637_zps66c9b66c.jpg

and now for some better pictures of what is to come...

DSCF4640_zpsf1e01a73.jpg

DSCF4641_zps0ad9d2af.jpg

DSCF4642_zps9ee0ff7c.jpg

DSCF4643_zps98cd1424.jpg

DSCF4644_zps603edfa6.jpg

DSCF4645_zpsdcc691dd.jpg

DSCF4646_zps4729bc08.jpg

14-5-14

The model is nearing completion now - I hope to have the final assembly done tonight with a small display base. I have used the fantastic 26 decals for this but managed to mess up the tail fin logo decal - possibly due to the decal set getting contaminated but Ray at 26 kindly sent me a new set at the speed of light to help me redeem the problem. I tried to remake the tail logo myself using paint and an airbrush dusting which looked good at a distance but close up - nope...

DSCF4656_zps6f1c1b5d.jpg

DSCF4655_zps38609a37.jpg

DSCF4657_zpsd6fce5ca.jpg

DSCF4658_zps7da00ebc.jpg

so here below is my attempt to correct the decal problem - it was OK to look at from a distance but didn't look too good on the bench

DSCF4659_zps93ae1fb7.jpg

so thanks to Ray at 26Decals, here is the completed pre-assembly stage. I noted a kind mention on the forum form a fellow member about the lower side of the wing not having the corroguard de-markation however my supply of paint was dwindling so I only chose to correct the flap runners

DSCF4661_zps1c80f010.jpg

oil panel line wash applied too

DSCF4662_zpsac686ad0.jpg

DSCF4663_zpsc14a1635.jpg

DSCF4664_zpscb1739d8.jpg

thank you for looking in and for your interest again

John

Edited by Gimme Shelter
  • Like 2

Very nice indeed. :goodjob:

Been on both that BA have and the aircraft is brilliant.

Looking great so far :)

Just one thing to consider if it's not too late - A380s do not have corruguard under the wings, it's only on the upper surfaces.

Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Tom

Just one thing to consider if it's not too late - A380s do not have corruguard under the wings, it's only on the upper surfaces.

Tom

oops ! Thanks for letting me know - as I still have some aluminium / silver work to add to the leading and trailing edges of the wings, I will make the necessary changes you have pointed out

Very nice indeed. :goodjob:

Been on both that BA have and the aircraft is brilliant.

luck, lucky you - I wish I had. I was on the car park coach going back to the long stay car park at LHR on Tuesday afternoon this week and one of BA's A380's touched down right beside us while we were on the perimeter road - what a giant! (but I still love and prefer our 747-4 fleet and dread the day they all go)

Tom

And just to add, corrogard would not in any case be applied to the flap track fairings. Edited by buzz

Looking good. What is your plan for the windows, the hundreds of windows?

Was lucky enough to score a ride on the Emirates 380 a couple years back, during a promo tour. Granted there was no freight or luggage, and probably very little fuel, but it was one of the shortest take off runs I can recall.

They took us out over the Pacific for three hours, and force fed us champagne ( the 'good stuff' in their words ) and caviar until we begged for mercy, and were returned to LAX.

Only drawback, was, as it was the first time an A380 was to land at LAX, they had all the fire equipment out to give it the water salute, but ten minutes before touchdown, an AA flight from Hawaii declared some sort of difficulty, and they were all forced to rush off. Quite disappointed I was.

Cheers,

Mike

Looking good. What is your plan for the windows, the hundreds of windows?

Was lucky enough to score a ride on the Emirates 380 a couple years back, during a promo tour. Granted there was no freight or luggage, and probably very little fuel, but it was one of the shortest take off runs I can recall.

They took us out over the Pacific for three hours, and force fed us champagne ( the 'good stuff' in their words ) and caviar until we begged for mercy, and were returned to LAX.

Only drawback, was, as it was the first time an A380 was to land at LAX, they had all the fire equipment out to give it the water salute, but ten minutes before touchdown, an AA flight from Hawaii declared some sort of difficulty, and they were all forced to rush off. Quite disappointed I was.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike

Ah - another lucky A380 passenger I see - the windows (I hope) will be masked out by the decal windows from the 26 set - I am in big trouble if they don't match up :(

• 1 year later...

luck, lucky you - I wish I had. I was on the car park coach going back to the long stay car park at LHR on Tuesday afternoon this week and one of BA's A380's touched down right beside us while we were on the perimeter road - what a giant! (but I still love and prefer our 747-4 fleet and dread the day they all go)

Me too, I'm an ex B747-400/ -8 active pilot, now fly other types, but still get to instruct/examine on the. -400 sim which is also fun too.

To me the 747 is still the best looking aircraft in the skies, I know I'm biased but nothing compares. A380 is not as good a performer as everyone hoped or thought, hence why Boeing were right never to make the type they intended back in the Early 90s.

Unfortunately the 777-300 and the soon to be 777x will be king! A real shame but it's all about the big twins now!

It will be a sad day when BA finish flying their 50+ fleet of -400s

Fantastic looking big 'bus John, the BA scheme is probably my favourite scheme on the A380.

Tom

oops ! Thanks for letting me know - as I still have some aluminium / silver work to add to the leading and trailing edges of the wings, I will make the necessary changes you have pointed out

Actually, A380s don't use corroguard at all :) The upper wingbox is now painted in a finish called Aeroflex; on the A380 the colour is RAL 7004 grey. The rest of the wing and both surfaces of the Horizontal Tail Plane is BAC707 grey. I did let Ray know but if you had an early instruction sheet this quoted the corroguard. Hopefully he's amended later versions.

HTH,

Jonathan

• 6 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this post, but I can't get over what a beautiful model you have finished!

I've asked in my own thread, but did you apply the default decals to your model? Also, have you used the first flight or Lufthansa version? I've noticed a few little differences with the 26decals which I suspect may be because I'm using an older model.

Sorry to resurrect this post, but I can't get over what a beautiful model you have finished!

I've asked in my own thread, but did you apply the default decals to your model? Also, have you used the first flight or Lufthansa version? I've noticed a few little differences with the 26decals which I suspect may be because I'm using an older model.