1/144 Douglas DC-8-43 Alitalia

December 1973, and I made my very first flight in a four-engined jet from Johannesburg to Rome - Alitalia's DC-8-43 I-DIWM "Ugolino Vivaldi"

This is the 1/144 MInicraft DC-8-63 kit modified to into a DC-8-43 by shortening the fuselage and using replacement resin engines from F-Rsin. (I know they're actually engines for a DC-8-30, but they look close enough for me, and besides, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do)

oDnaahp.jpg

x6CZonc.jpg

EgBcPov.jpg

j2qoFOe.jpg

Fitting the engines to the wings was most unpleasant - you'd think I would have learned my lesson from the DC-8-55 build !

The Registration Codes, engine logos and "Ugolino Vivaldi" titles are home-made. The rest of the decals came from the Two Six Decals Sheet SHS4485 and lovely they were too !

There's a sort of Work in Progress thread which can be found here : http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234937676-minicraft-douglas-dc-8s-in-1144-two-down/ but because I've been building three 8s at the same time, it's all a bit messy.

So there we have it. I'm pretty sure that if you use your imagination, you'll be able to see the face of a 10 year old pressed against one of the windows with excitement - that would be me.

Thanks for looking.

mike

...and of course, the "with something else" :

mxHNpOy.jpg

• Like 14

Awesomeness itself Mike. A beauty, and well worth waiting for.

A smooth chop job on the fuselage, and nice details on the wings. The 'angle of the dangle' also looks perfect on the engines, despite the heartache of attaching them.

December 1973 I was on a Sabena 707 Johannesburg - Brussels, that wasn't you at the bar at Jan Smuts in the red shirt was it?

Cheers,

Mike

That's an absolute beauty Mike.

The classic airliners are certainly more aesthetically pleasing than most of the modern machines.

Lovely job and thanks for posting for us to enjoy.

Chris.

Very nice piece of work, and good photos too!

Very nice. Really like DC-8s - always thought they looked more elegant than the 707. This build really does capture that.

Chris

Many Thanks for your kind comments - much appreciated.

I have to admit that I'm a big fan of Viking's family snaps of his models, so here's one of my own

AZ8andCar.jpg

Bit partial to the Green, White and Red and I do have a kit of the first two-engine jet that I ever flew on, but that's for another trilogy....

MikeW, looking back at family snaps of what I was wearing in December 1973, I wish I had been the 10-year old at the bar ! :bleh:

• Like 1