Looking for B-17F Nose-art

Rene Erhart

Hello fellow modelers,

I am looking for the colors of the nose art of a B-17F that crashed in the Netherlands, near the town of Zegveld, in february 1944. The plane was named San Antonio Rose, and the nose art depicts a girl with a lasso, which wraps around the two nose windows on the port side. I have a b/w picture...

We are building a model of this particular B-17 for a memorial display on May 15-16, so any help regarding the colors would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

René

• Like 1

Would love to help, but a colour photo might be impossible.

For others viewing the thread: http://95thbg.org/95th_joomla/images/noseart/San%20Aantonio%20Rose.jpg

http://www.95thbg-horham.com/page226.html

I take it you've asked here http://95thbg-horham.com/wordpress/

& here http://95thbg.org/95th_joomla/

It may need to be an educated guess. Are there any colour photos of other planes in the group and is it possible determine any common artist on the squadron for clues? They seem to use the colours to hand on the whole, but those groups who had really talented, or co-opted professional, artists did seem to use other colours (maybe mixed between these?).

Edited by Vicarage Vee

Hello fellow modelers,

I am looking for the colors of the nose art of a B-17F that crashed in the Netherlands, near the town of Zegveld, in february 1944. The plane was named San Antonio Rose, and the nose art depicts a girl with a lasso, which wraps around the two nose windows on the port side. I have a b/w picture...

We are building a model of this particular B-17 for a memorial display on May 15-16, so any help regarding the colors would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

René

As many others have pointed out, color analysis of a black and white photo is 'iffy' at best. Even Lifelike Decals gave two different versions of 'Barbara Jean' on one of their recent B-24 sheets, and I have seen some very detailed analyses of the proper interpretation of the very stunning nose art on B-24 'Cocktail Hour'.

That being said, however, here would be my guess:

Lasso: Light tans and browns, as befitting the type of rope used to make a lasso.

Hat: Light tan or straw color

Holster: Dark Brown, with the pistol handle black

Skin: Basic Flesh tone, ie, she appears to be fair-skinned, and not tanned

Lips: Red - this is pretty much the only color one could really be certain of, as the Goth look (black lipstick) was not even considered an option for 40's-era ladies or cowgirls, or in the minds of the men fantasizing about them...

Boots: Most likely light brown (light tan leather), with Dark Brown patches and Black buckles

Hair: Red or dark brown, hard to say, although one could argue that red hair would go together with fair (untanned) skin

Halter top: Red or blue, with white spots. Were it me, I would make the halter top red, simply for the visual effect of drawing the eyes to the semi-covered breasts.

Skirt: Impossible to tell, but a blue denim skirt would be a natural compliment to a red halter top...

Eyes: If the hair is red, blue; if the hair is brown, brown.

Again, this is just an educated guess, and short of a good color photo, it's not any worse than any other...

HTH :)

Byron

Edited by Byron Boyd

I think Byron that you're pretty close to the mark, I would imagine the only limitations would be availability and access to the various paints.

Without sounding to daft,I can only assume they would have used standard USAAF colours from on station stores.

Luckily they would have all the base colours and B/W.

Thank you all very much for your replies, this has been very helpful!

regards,

René

René,

Would you mind posting a picture of the model when your group has finished it? I'd like to see how it turns out.

TIA,

Byron