1/48 Royal Navy Phantom - 95% 03/06

So what else do you build after a RAF Phantom? :P

Going to be doing this boxing...

DSCF1675_zpsc0786b42.jpg

In the box decals minus the nose art as I don't like it.

First up is the cockpit.

DSCF1665_zps5e4432da.jpg

Tamiya flat black as a base...

DSCF1667_zpse188cd3d.jpg

And then some detailing.

DSCF1668_zpsdaaf83da.jpg

DSCF1670_zps55fdad71.jpg

DSCF1672_zpsee36fd89.jpg

DSCF1674_zps6bf2f33a.jpg

Bang seats look like this at the moment, I think I'm going to try and make some belts for the first time or maybe have it with the crew present.

Finish wise, I'd quite like something to resemble this...

phoca_thumb_l_cat5.jpg

Just the Hase kit doesn't come with any TER parts. Anyone got any spare from a US boxing?

• Like 1

If the Academy kits come with TERs I will have some to spare. I won't be able to look for a while though as I'm away from home. (work is a bind at times).

I don't think the Hasegawa kits have them.

Ted

...and why not follow a Phantom with another Phantom! Excellent start, the cockpit looks great!

How do you think you'll do the belts if you choose that option?

I'm not sure. I may have a set of PE ones for a Sea Vixen I might be naughty and use or possibly try and make some up with some very thin plasticard.

Yeah, I'm kinda on a Phantom run, I've got another two in the stash after this :P

If the Academy kits come with TERs I will have some to spare. I won't be able to look for a while though as I'm away from home. (work is a bind at times).

I don't think the Hasegawa kits have them.

Ted

The new Academy boxing does have TERs, I picked up a Da Nang boxing at the weekend and stores wise, it's bulging with bits. Be much appreciated if you could send some my way if you don't want them.

One thing I don't like on these is the hollow backing of the intakes. Shown here -

2014-04-30095009_zps3622c990.jpg

So I make up plasticard blanking plates to go on the back, filing in that section.

2014-04-30095311_zps2926f40b.jpg

And I'm at this point currently

2014-04-30103913_zpsa577692a.jpg

• Like 1

Why not use A2Zee FG1 air intakes I has used them & they look great. Regards Len

Thanks for the input Len but I find once they're displayed you can't see down the trunking anyway and the plasticard only takes a few extra minutes.

Got some more done today after some training.

DSCF1677_zps0c5ee6a8.jpg

Fuselage is all together. Can see where I've blended the intakes in as well.

Got to clean this up once all the glue has dried

DSCF1681_zps5689dc6a.jpg

Hopefully the putty and cotton bud trick should do it.

Whilst this was all drying, I got some paint down on the exhausts, Alclad Steel on the outside, jet exhaust on the inside. Just some drybrushing to do and these will go away awaiting final assembly.

DSCF1678_zpse7b10a26.jpg

Looking good breaker....on my recent Phantom I put intake covers on as I'm lazy!

Wish I'd put a plate on the back of the intake, it's at my dads but I believe if memory serves you can just see a space, so that's one for me to remember on my next Phantom!

Wish I'd put a plate on the back of the intake, it's at my dads but I believe if memory serves you can just see a space, so that's one for me to remember on my next Phantom!

There is a visible gap - I've got an Alcock and Brown boxing from when I first started modelling a few years ago that I keep robbing parts from and using as a 'don't build it like this boyo' reasoning!

DSCF1685_zps95d3de1f.jpg

In a small update, the clear parts have been dipped in Aqua Gloss.

Started getting the seats sorted today.

DSCF1700_zps14eab60c.jpg

DSCF1699_zps2079ccee.jpg

DSCF1701_zps1b80ef90.jpg

DSCF1702_zps3f1a03ff.jpg

DSCF1703_zps650106fe.jpg

DSCF1705_zps3963dc98.jpg

DSCF1706_zpsaed12385.jpg

Post sponsored by Tamiya Tape!!

First attempt at detailing my own seat belts. The macro shots show all the flaws but once the canopies are on, it gives it the extra detail they needed!

Should be getting some black on tomorrow once the glue has dried, then onto some primer.

• Like 1

Looking great - I notice you are using the Alclad primer - its great stuff isn't it. I started using the grey for priming, the white for anything white and the black for pre-shading - love the smooth finish you get!

Chris

2014-05-09214113_zps299e1f26.jpg

2014-05-09215207_zpscb656008.jpg

Started working on the bottom paint this afternoon. I've never weather white before so I'm a little apprehensive as how subtle to go. Top photo is showing the weathering as I've put it on, a very light grey highlight on the panel lines and then a smoke blast where the oil and muck from the aux air doors would kick out. Second photos is going back in with some 90:10 white and blending the tone down.

Once it's dry and I've finished with the top painting and decals, I'll decide if to go for more or less!

• Like 1