Chinese destroyer "Anshan"

Thanks folks, I may not have finished on time but:

* I actually built a ship! Well, almost. But it's still a first for me and meant solving a lot of new problems.

* I persevered with a kit I probably would've run away from had I built it quietly on my own, and did a fair bit of scratch-building.

* I had a great time - one of the best GBs ever I think. Sorry I didn't enter it sooner!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

It was a bit sad to see that the ship didn't made the dead line, but having taken it this far in the short amount of time you have worked on it is an achievment itself. It's looking very good with the weathering and I look forward to the finished photos soon.

:goodjob:

• Like 2

Thanks again! I'm not too sad about missing the deadline, if I'd started a bit earlier I'd have been OK, but I was being good and finishing another model first :)

I had the evening off modelling yesterday to concentrate on sneezing and coughing, but I got back to it today. First job was to remove some detail I added to the guns and then make it again, but better/tidier/more accurately. Then I got it in my head to add the conspicuous framing to the inside of the turrets, and notch the base to better reflect the way the turrets are constructed (they don't have a solid floor).

14333386021_aa20f8c3a2_b.jpg

I also drilled out the barrels and rounded off the flared ends. I got one off-centre and had to fill it with CA, drill again, and then repeat once more to get a good result.

Then primer, and a bit of CA/sanding in spots and more primer:

14336720855_fea4f8a475_b.jpg

14150106610_17b5c010f9_b.jpg

14150060789_2b73df8b7e_b.jpg

14335972264_0461e1848f_b.jpg

I'm particularly pleased with how the gun turrets have come out, they have a lot more presence than the "box-on-a-stick" kit part and they're really visible on the ship too. The open back turrets are an interesting feature so it was worth giving them a bit of love.

14335971654_761893ee77_b.jpg

It's closer to my reference than the previous version too: http://pic.tiexue.net/bbs_6026808_20.html

There are some tidiness issues to sort out, and I might want to fill/sand the thin notches on the insides - this is where a rebate fits with a tab, but the tab isn't full length so it ends up gappy. I thought thinning the parts down would hide this (the walls were as thick as the floors) but it hasn't really.

Also forgive my nasty thumb - I need to moisturise, lots of modelling is bad for the skin!

Will

• Like 3

Masked and painted all that stuff yesterday - masking the guns for three colours was quite fiddly, but I have a picture of what I think is the training ship with a gun turret in good order, and it *looked* like the breech end was painted light grey or white, with details in black and red. It's a bit tenuous but I thought it'd make for a more interesting model, so...

14164981579_720f729148_b.jpg

Today they had the details painted, a coat of Klear and some washes added and removed. Very slow business, and I can see I have touch-ups to do, but I now have all four turrets with guns, and both launchers with missiles:

14164982219_4eea5e6e98_b.jpg

Haven't fitted the hatch yet because I wasn't sure what angle it stops at. And I'm sure the Silkworm should be further back along the launch rail but then it's even harder to see...

14351664315_9f7f34d794_b.jpg

I wonder if it's possible to touch up that silvered decal and blend it in? I also need to swap some guns around to get two pairs with close-to-equal elevation.

Next big job is the AA gun tubs, plus boats, anchor installation and the flagpole things at the very bow and stern.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 5

Thanks guys!

Kev, it was hiding in the Less-Than-a-Tenner group build forum. It has felt a bit like a struggle at times but mostly I've been really enjoying it.

The upside is that I'm now confident I can build some of the other ships in my stash. The downside is I know how long that's going to take...

Will

• Like 1

Sorry chaps, I had the week off this week but made this thingy instead as a bit of light relief from the ship:

14393973646_fc81ced995_b.jpg

She's nearly done though - just need to scratch new gun tubs, fill the windows, and *ulp* add rigging. I might also want to make canvas dodgers for the superstructure railings but I think the will may give out before then.

Sorry again for the lack of progress. I'm pretty sure it's the fact that marking out is required for the gun tubs that's put me off doing something, I'm just a lazy sod... Will try and extract my finger this week now that I've had a rest.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Right, finally extracted the (firmly lodged) digit and made up the new AA gun tubs:

14473915696_1861b8e366_b.jpg

I didn't take a before pic but you can see the remains of a kit part on the left. I cut the walls and railings down and filed all the edges off the bases to reduce the diameter by a couple of mm, then built up new shields from 0.25mm (10 thou) styrene sheet. The measuring and marking out was what I was trying to avoid, since the shields sweep down at the front to clear the gun at its lowest point, and also sweep below the floor at the same spot. At least I think they do - I made these from memory of the reference to stop myself getting too obsessed with accuracy.

I then assembled them around the base with Extra Thin, scoring and half-snapping the outsides of the corners to do so. These were then filled with CA and talc, and then filed down flat and hopefully a bit sharp.

The guns are just sat on top here. I need to make new seats (they were moulded into the floor) and probably replace those fat 90' bent tubes with something finer when I figure out what they're supposed to be - sight arms?

Also need to make new railings for the back of the tub - either more sprue or brass wire should do the job.

Hopefully I can stay the course now and get back on the Vipers and Captain Apollo afterwards! Their turn to be neglected :D

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! I'm sorry I've been so useless at keeping up with this one after the deadline. I have done a bit more - added two more armour facets to each gun tub, filed out the notches at the front, and drilled out the AA guns.

I think my tubs are now a bit underscale - the side walls should be higher - but if I don't go with these it's never going to get done is it?

I'm supposed to get some modelling time next week, although much of that is earmarked for the Viper (competition deadline looming) but I'll see what I can do on the Anshan at the same time. Priming and painting is quick when there's already stuff in the A/B.

Cheers,

Will

• 3 months later...

Well I definitely fell at the last fence and spent the last few months circling the glue factory... But! I have rescued the Anshan from the cupboard and glazed the portholes with Kristal Klear.

15717709722_843f791998_b.jpg

It was moderately fiddly and a bit scary seeing all that white, but it looks nice when it dries up! The square windows are less good than the round (the glue makes a curved film which is less obvious with the portholes).

15096215544_b45322a4b9_b.jpg

I must admit I'm a bit put off by the close-ups, I remember this looking better! I'll dust it and hopefully that'll fix things up.

Need to paint some leftover bits and stick them on, and then maybe I can say it's finished?

Cheers,

Will

• Like 3