SA. 365C-1 DAUPHIN from Heller

Hey,that's luckily just the right paints you need to finish your model. Wal-Mart are clearly an excellent company with almost clairvoyant powers.

Nigel-the-impressed.

• Like 1

I've mixed Tamiya clear yellow & blue before,

Two coats normally does it, Slightly thinned.

That was brush painted as well.

How about trying a light sand with fine micromesh?

It will help the paint to stick, And you don't need to

see though it (much) anyway.

• Like 1

Hendie,

If you are using one of the Tamiya acrylic clears, you can go over the painted surface that is too dark with a brush loaded with thinner and manipulate the diluted solution with the brush over the entire surface. That is what I did with the last helicopter build (Huey) and using the thinner over the clear plastic did not harm it. Just a thought. But my brain right now is so addled with flowers, stripes and pink tones (decaling the IdolM@ster) that it is not functioning properly. Assuming it ever functions properly . . .

• Like 1

Apologies in advance for this post - there will be many photo's of the same thing (the tail!)

It actually took a lot less time than I originally thought it would. However, it was not without it's problems.

In the photo below you can see that I am getting perilously close to the final shape. You can also see (just) that I appear to be getting a decent bond/transition between the kit plastic and the filler.

S5001674.JPG

But as you can see in the next photo I am not getting such a good bond or transition between the filler and the sheet styrene I used. As the styrene edge was feathered out, it tended to break away from the filler and left little flappy edges.

S5001673.JPG

In the end I covered the misbehaving edges with superglue and sanded that down once it had hardened and it appears to have done the trick.

One more coat of primer shows me that I very nearly there.

S5001676.JPG

S5001677.JPG

So yet another round of filling and sanding occurs, this time I decided to remove some of the raised paneling lines.

S5001679.JPG

I am not concerned with removing all of the raised panel lines - I just didn't want them as prominent. At this scale the panel lines would hardly be seen anyway. I have scribed a couple of lines in, but only the ones representing major gaps in the airframe.

S5001680.JPG

So, after a few days filling and sanding, this is the result..... which I am now happy with.

Port Side...

S5001684.JPG

Stbd side...

S5001685.JPG

With the tail now finished, following everyone's advice I had another go at the green screens. This time with just a very gentle mist of green. I may have to give it another coat - we'll see about that later.

S5001683.JPG

The last thing for this morning was to mask the rotor blades for the aluminum leading edge. It hardly seemed worth it as those edges are maybe 1 mm - 1.5 mm wide.

S5001682.JPG

I shall try and get the blades sprayed later today provided I can avoid SWMBO and her chores list. Once that is done I can actually assemble the rotor head.

• Like 3

Nice work on the tail - it looks really good. I think it is worth masking and painting the blade edges. Its this sort of detailing which lifts a model to the next level.

• Like 1

Nice work! The tail looks really good, the tinting seems to have gone well too. As to the leading edges of the rotor blades, it is definitely worth going to the trouble of masking them all off as the rotors are always one of the focal points on a helicopter model. Just ignore the chores list until you have sprayed them up, I always explain to Mrs Martin that I will always make a better job of things if I have got any nagging modelling jobs out of the way first!

Martin

• Like 2

Well, got the leading edges painted without any problems. However the tinting went south yet again. It looked fine in the photo above which was taken about 5 minutes after spraying, but when I looked again - almost an hour later, it has once again separated into light and dark patches. It's all removed and we're back to square one again.

One way or another I will get that tinting done - it will not beat me.

Hendie,

Are you painting directly onto the kit plastic, or did you coat it in Future/Klear first?

Initially it was onto the kit plastic (as supplied) then later it was onto the kit plastic after the area had been sanded.

I don't have Klear available - all I could find was some generic blend of floor polish and it's always proved a complete hit or miss (99% miss) with me.

• Like 1

What paint are you using for the tinting? I always use Tamiya clear colours and have never had an issue with them.

Martin

• Like 1

I am using Model Master (Testors) Clear Green - brand new bottle. Maybe I'll need to scrap it and try Tamiya.

No photo update this evening. I have been working on all those small things that you find just as you think you are ready to assemble something.

I needed a mounting point for the engine exhausts and there's also some other enginey parts showing at the back end. Then I stuck the two halves of the Trumpeter fuselage together as I thought I am going to need a test bed for painting, scribing and learning a few other new skills.

The rotor head also need a little bit of rework and I did a dry fit today and the rotor head looked far too tall. It was a relatively simple fix and is looking much better now. I want to give the blades a day or so to harden up before I start handling them with my big mitts, but I should get the rotor head fully assembled this week.

Sorry, I got distracted by the clear green paint situation. Hendie, your tail looks magnificent. (I'm wondering how often you hear that compliment?) Anyway, you get the drift.

• Like 1

I hope g-usa's insight into the right establishments will be my guide when I pay him a visit in September. I expect there to be plenty of cheerleaders on tap.

Yours expectantly,

Nigel

• Like 1

why is it that Eduard give you extra pieces of really simple parts that go on without any problems whatsoever, but only give you the EXACT number of the most awkward miniscule footery frustratingly impossible to fit parts ???

I was working on the rotor head tonight. I checked my photo's, double checked and triple checked before fitting the pitch rod brackets that I had them facing in the right direction. They went on beautifully first time !

Then I turned the rotor head over and I had fitted them facing in the wrong direction!!!!! :suicide:

Off they came, and after about a half hour (only 4 parts) I had them facing the right direction.... slightly the worse for wear. Then I went to fit the pitch rods and found that I had the brackets too far over to one side - thanks to Eduards clumsy and not very clear destructions (and no doubt some blame lies on me for that).

Off they came again! :rant:

They are now looking decidedly dodgy, bent, twisted and otherwise deformed, almost beyond recognition. The only saving grace is that they are so small, and once fitted (under the rotor head) they are almost impossible to see - so I may *just* get away with it.

and I started the day off with a 3 hour drive to take my daughter to a concert, and now I have another 3 hour drive to get her back again.! Oh wonderful days!!!

• Like 1

Sorry about your woes both modeling and providing a taxi service. My favorite would rather I take her to her band dealings, no matter where they are. So I remember a wonderful Saturday where we were in Austin enjoying a music festival for the weekend, but she had to do a band competition in another town about 240 miles away. So most of Saturday while she was sleeping and watching videos I was driving back and forth across Texas. And I agree with you about Eduard. They do give the strangest pieces as extra, Also, I thought I was the only one that thought their instructions were at best vague. I always feel I am doing a dexterity test with them giving a callout for a part with the wonderful bend symbol and I am supposed to figure out how to bend the part to match what it is supposed to be. I also think they take advantage of us modelers that are content with "knowing it is there" but will never be visible again (well, maybe tied with Zukei-Mura) as a large part of their sets, once in place are either too tiny to be seen once the model is built or are in places that the sun never shines. Okay, sorry for ranting on your thread. Just wanted you to know you are not alone about Eduard. Go forth and carry on.

• Like 2

You are both angry men and need to chill out a bit.

Nigel

Need more pictures , less talking . This isn't a chat room or facebook ...

RIck

Harsh, very harsh.