1/72 AZ Model Gotha P.60 C1

Those engine seams are always tricky to deal with, I think I will use a smear of filler and hand touch up the paint (even though it will be Alclad).

I reckon in another week this will be finished.

Here are the tided up fins with their dowels inserted:

P1060062_zpsbb06e2e9.jpg

I decided that the trailing edges of the wings - well the whole plane really - were too thick and gave them a good going over until I was happy:

P1060063_zps86d4fd75.jpg

I finished painting the control column:

P1060064_zpsd7e41084.jpg

By now the resin had set so I popped the engine nozzle out:

P1060067_zps08289dd9.jpg

There was one small air bubble (obviously), just a bit of filler should sort that out. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

• Like 1

I don't know how I missed this one!!!!

Ooo that is a beast of a model, haven't seen moulding that bad for ages, you're a braver/silly man than me!!!! :mental:The work you’re do so far is great.

But the subject matter is cool......even better it's a nightfighter! :thumbsup: If you want a super cool/crazy colour scheme, did you see the one I posted on the Ho229B thread in the Whiffy section?

I actually have a resin one of these, from Plant Models, which I have yet to finish……sort of partly because a cat I use to have eat the lower engine!!!! :nono:

Will follow with interest as it might give me the inspiration to finish mine!

• Like 1

If you want a super cool/crazy colour scheme, did you see the one I posted on the Ho229B thread in the Whiffy section?

Thanks Rich. I think I did but I should probably go and have another look. I am a great admirer of your work, I am pleased you like my humble efforts.

Nigel how many model do you have ?

Do you mean unbuilt in my stash?

If so that's about 60 kits. Very modest really.

I reckon in another week this will be finished.

I thought we'd see this one complete on Tuesday night :P

Another engineering / modelling master class

• Like 1

Something's Gotha Give - Day 6

In the end I don't think my resin nozzle is too bad compared to the kit part:

P1060070_zpseaa6d2ee.jpg

I drilled out some 0.4mm holes at the back of the wheel wells ready for some brake pipes later:

P1060071_zps36ee33f9.jpg

I had a marathon airbrishing session and got this lot painted:

P1060072_zps87e86aad.jpg

This part is on the critical path to getting the cockpit assembled, I masked of the seams so that I could glue it in with liquid poly and masked the headrest with liquid masking:

P1060073_zps4c419bc2.jpg

Here it is glued in place:

P1060074_zps6d50b76a.jpg

I primed and painted the cockpit with RLM02 as per the kit istructions:

P1060075_zps6352ee40.jpg

I had a back up plan of painting with RLM66 if too much was visible but with the canopy in place not much can be seen anyway:

P1060076_zps60b07eeb.jpg

I found some suitable PE belts in the spares box, annealed them and painted the buckles with Alclad "Steel":

P1060078_zps0f80697a.jpg

I painted the coaming with Anthracite, finished off the belt painting and added some instrument decals to the control panels including some vaguely radarish green screens for the herbert in the back seat to play with:

P1060079_zps1401f0aa.jpg

Maybe after some dry brushing I can start to assemble the cockpit.

• Like 4

Next I assembled the seats:

P1060080_zps2062a76b.jpg

Then it was a quick job to assemble the rest of the cockpit and give it a coat of matt varnish:

P1060083_zps94f73465.jpg

I put a couple of surplus prepainted PE parts that I found in the spares box in there for the radar operator:

P1060084_zps1036640e.jpg

P1060085_zps6742f37e.jpg

The the whole lot could be fixed in the "fuselage?":

P1060087_zps70da7848.jpg

Now the two halves of the aircraft can be joined together.

• Like 6

Great work on the seats and cushion. A vast improvement :)

ditto

I am beginning to be glad I don't have to make one now though

The worry is always going to be

FOLLOW THAT

I simply couldn't

• Like 1

Thanks chaps.

Based on the instructions I thought I might have to add more weight to the nose area but a CoG check showed there was already more than enough:

P1060088_zps05e86aa8.jpg

Like the cockpit I had given all the wheel wells a dark brown wash. I had left the fit of the main undercarriage doors slightly proud so that when liquid poly was added they could be bedded down nice and flush:

P1060090_zps90053cef.jpg

To glue the two halves together I started by running a bead of tube cement all around the periphery for added strength:

P1060091_zps1de1c872.jpg

The floor of the cockpit contacts the top of the front wheel well so I added some there as well.

I clamped it up like this with a heavy duty clamp in the front because of that contact, which was just slightly holding the halves appart:

P1060092_zps44d41296.jpg

I then ran liquid poly all round the periphery. It can harden up like that ovenight.

The bases of the missle racks are supposed to be made of varnished wood so I gave them a wood grain effect with raw umber oil paint mixed with some Humbrol dark brown wash and a coarse, stiff brush:

P1060093_zps4ab1989a.jpg

I think I should now assemble the engines.

• Like 7

Looking good Nigel. You almost have to start thinking about what the next build is going to be!

The cockpit detailing is very nice - it's a shame you can hardly see anything through the caopy

Thanks hendie, the cockpit detailing I have done is way over the top but I have trouble stopping myself. I did think about having an open canopy but I'm not sure its quite good enough for that.

As to the next build it really should be the fuel lorry for my Flying Banana. I missed the one on e-bay (it went for what you can buy one from Hannants for) but one of the chaps at my model club has a couple in his stash and is willing to part with one - hopefully at a knock down price!!

Was wondering what you'd be working on now Banana Build is finished. Now, one week and five pages later, I know and have to say I'm neither surprized nor disappointed to discover yet another deliciously mad choice.

• Like 1

Thanks Col. I'm glad you like it. I suppose I sould bring this along on Tuesday for your close and critical inspection.

The engine necelles lack any positive location features for the nozzles so I came up with the idea of bedding them on some black Milliput with CA to lock them in position but still giving fine adjustment during assembly:

P1060094_zpsee531a93.jpg

Here they are fully assembled:

P1060095_zpsee67d20f.jpg

By now the glue on the main body had set sufficiently to handle so I unclamped and stuck on the nose:

P1060096_zpsc111177a.jpg

I could not resisit then doing a partial mock up to see how she looked:

P1060097_zpsd1737b3b.jpg

Pretty cool huh?

I think I will mask up the wheels now.

• Like 7

wow it's had to believe what we see now compared to that horrid thing you started with!!

fantastic job, the cockpit looks great, really worth the effort you put into it!

• Like 1

Got finished babysitting, no wait, teenage wrangling and cattle wrangling. The cattle were easier. So, hoped on this site to see what was going on before I do a tiny bit of modeling myself. You are just blazing away at this kit, highly unusual for you. It still has your touches and they are quite nice by the way. (Don't get the wrong idea about me liking your touches, I am taken!) I like this build very much. I recently have picked up some interesting 1/72 luft/brit/u.s. 46 kits and this may make me start a couple. Will be most interested in your white wash camo scheme if that is what you are still intending to do. Bring on more updates.

• Like 1

I'm getting a bit worried by the pace of construction. I have always consoled myself that I may build slowly but at least Nigel's slower than me. At this rate he'll overtake me for completed models for the year so far and in some style too.

I think it would look great with a reverse squiggle camo paint job Nigel as it was intended to be a night fighter (that should slow him down a bit).

Duncan B

• Like 2

I'm getting a bit worried by the pace of construction. I have always consoled myself that I may build slowly but at least Nigel's slower than me. At this rate he'll overtake me for completed models for the year so far and in some style too.

I think it would look great with a reverse squiggle camo paint job Nigel as it was intended to be a night fighter (that should slow him down a bit).

Duncan B

ooo I like that idea!!

be warned I'm on the lookout for any interesting colour schemes for the 177.......... :hmmm:

But this being a true Luft46 beasty you can have some fun with the colour scheme! B)

Something's Gotha Give - Day 7

After some preliminary cleaning up of the plastic I applied a good trowelling of Squadron green to all the seams:

P1060099_zps940e985a.jpg

While that was hardening up I did some more work on the engines. To fill these gaps I made some blanking pieces out of scrap plasticard:

P1060100_zps07ae022d.jpg

I will paint the undersides silver during the next airbrushing session.

In preparation to fill these gaps at the ends I made some backing pieces out of split drinking straws and packed them with Blu Tack:

P1060101_zps49898ff1.jpg

The rear of the engines are painted with Alclad "Burnt Iron" so I filled the gaps with black Milliput.

At the sliver front end I mixed some black and white Milliput to make a grey version:

P1060102_zpse2da5501.jpg

I sould be able to sand all the wing joints now.

Maybe a dumb question, but having never used Squadron putty, besides the obvious color, is there a difference between the white and green putty?

By the way, tell Duncan to cut you some slack regarding the rate you are building and creating. You are focused and you are a machine; a hard driving, steely nerved, force of nature to be reckoned with. A overflowing testosterone filled hombre that knows what he wants; knows how to get it; and everyone else better stay out of his way. A sinewy amalgamation of trained and hardened muscles, ripped and ready for action. . . Now mustn't you stop to bake some bread!

• Like 4

And ginger Florentines, don't forget them.

Yeh, don't mess with me.

As to the Squadron fillers the white is supposed to be finer (and it just possibly is) but in practical terms they seem pretty much the same to me.

During the clean-up operations I found this odd defect on the nose:

P1060103_zpsef65859a.jpg

I filled that and a few other lesser defects found along the way, eventually it was all more or less done:

P1060104_zpsf2265c61.jpg

Now very exciting viewing I know but these things have to be done.

For a final flurry of excitement, I glued on the vertical fins:

P1060105_zps735232ca.jpg

Now I have something worthwhile to show my chums at the modelling club tomorrow night (later today actually).

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 6