1/72 Javelin FAW1 Frog vs Hawk

dambuster

Way back in 1958 Frog issued a 1/72 Javelin FAW1. Around 1967, Hawk issued a 1/72 Javelin FAW1, complete with four Firestreaks (which were not applicable to the FAW1). Quite why Hawk shoukd see fit to issue a model of an aircraft that was coming to the end of its career is puzzling, so I was wondering if this was a re-issue of the old Frog model with the addition of the missiles to make it look more up-to- date. I cannot find a copy online of the parts breakdown of the Frog model, or instructions, so I thought I would ask if anyone in the BM community can shed light on the origin of th Hawk model?

Thanks

Peter

I have both kits; both were of prototypes; Frog releasing a kit of 4th prototype WT830 in 1955, while Hawk also issued a kit of this aircraft in the same year – the kits are in no way related though. Both are very crude compared to modern kits. Neither has any interior detail – the Frog kit has the moulded-in pilot’s head typical of their early releases – and each has crude and inaccurate raised panel line detail, the Hawk kit also bearing moulded lines to show the location of the decals. Neither has undercarriage bays, and armament on the Hawk consists of a set of very crude missiles. Decals are extremely basic – just roundels and serials. These are really for the collector rather than the builder, but they could be made into nice desktop ‘in-flight’ models with some care - that is my intent!

The Hawk kit:

22_zpsd8e3d897.jpg

24_zpsda1d6e2a.jpg

...and the Frog:

23_zps96a52798.jpg

25_zpsd481efd5.jpg

In 1975, the year before Frog went under, they issued a new mould Javelin FAW.9, with an optional flight refueling probe to enable an FAW.9R to be made; two RAF decal options are supplied. This kit is far more accurate than the previous two, though it still has issues with a lack of finesse, raised panel lines, thick canopy and pretty awful exhausts. Nevertheless, with some accessory sets available for it, it can be turned into a nice model. It is also available through various Russian companies, including Novo and Chematic, in many lurid shades of plastic.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Paul Bradley