Two 1:72 Spitfires

Here are a couple more of my older builds:

13562316935_8b1f25a717_s.jpgAirfix 1:72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Ia by 6000KingGeorgeV, on Flickr

13562393343_b849efed26_s.jpgAirfix 1:72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Ia by 6000KingGeorgeV, on Flickr

This is an Airfix Mk.I, built OOB from the new tooling with no problems. Brush painted - the Sky and Dark Earth are Humbrol, while the Dark Green is Xtracrylix. You may notice a slightly shiny finish, caused by some Xtracrylix matt varnish which didn't come out quite so matt. Typical, really - I've tried several different brands of matt varnish, and each one has given me grief. Even to this day, the struggle continues...

13562354073_579958af94_s.jpgSmer 1:72 Supermarine Spitfire Mk. Vb by 6000KingGeorgeV, on Flickr

Secondly, this is a Smer Mk. Vb, which may not be the best kit out there but was still fun to build. Best of all, the decals were surprisingly good, and most of them have since been donated to other kits. For this one, I used Humbrol matt varnish from a rattle can - probably the best matt varnish I've used, but still tricky in that it tends to produce a slightly 'sandpapery' texture. The weathering is a mixture of Tamiya weathering powders and dry-brushed silver paint.

At the moment, I'm still going through a considerable learning process. I'm experimenting with different ways to get the best out of brush painting - especially when it comes to matt varnish (tricky sod!)

Comments, advice and criticism welcome (to a certain extent...)

• Like 6

Hi,

Nice looking models there. I only brush paint as I don't have an airbrush. I have experimented on various methods:

My method is to paint then give a coat of Humbrol gloss varnish and add decals.

Next I give another coat of gloss varnish to seal them.

Then I give a spray with a rattle can of Satin or Matt varnish. This is the Citadel brand available from model / hobby shops or warhammer shops.

Hope this helps

Tommy

• Like 2

Nice Spitfires! I have to say that I've had the same problem with matt varnishes. They never seem to come out twice the same way, even if I'm using the same brand. I use mine from an airbrush.

Regards,

Jason

Excellent! Well done. I'm a big fan of the Spitfire. I've used Humbrol matt spray-can varnish on two of mine. A couple of people on BM kindly let me know that you really need to apply it in really light coats and build it up slowly.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

They both look really good.

I brush paint too, I have an airbrush but can't be bothered with cleaning it and my modelling is purely recreational and I use Klear as a gloss varnish not the stuff that sells for crazy prices on eB*y but 500ml bottles that I buy from the local Asda (other supermarkets are available).

I like the other stuff you've done, I'm off to buy a Revell (ex-Matchbox) Lysander.