Airfix 1:72 Harrier GR.1

After a bit of a break I've managed to finish 2 in 2 days!

I don't normally do 1:72nd stuff but these new tool Airfix kits have really caught my interest, so I found myself walking out of the model shop with this. And then I even started it, just as a little 'aside' build as I got on with other stuff. Picked it up every now and then and did a little bit more, until completion today.

It's a bit of a blast from the past as I well remember when Airfix released their original Harrier back in the late 60's when I was a kid. I've always liked the early pointy nose version with its glossy paintwork and 'D' type roundels, so that's what I did!

Now where is it going to sit on the shelf with my 1:144 Airliners and 1:32 WW1 stuff?

Harrier6_zps557d12f9.jpg

Harrier4_zpsb5a0f358.jpg

Harrier3_zpsb38cbf52.jpg

Harrier1_zps56b4d2b9.jpg

Harrier7_zpsc9a4dfc7.jpg

Harrier2_zpsa194c775.jpg

Harrier5_zpsb5f3c4fb.jpg

It's an Airfix kit so we must put the pilot in!

Harrier8_zps8d94a97a.jpg

It was fun, on with the Lightning F2.A Next!

Thanks for looking

Johm

• Like 18

Now that IS nice!

Completely with you on the choice of version and finish (which you've achieved brilliantly by the way) - I have similar memories, reinforced by a family's day at Boscombe Down back in the 60s when the Harriers were there.

Dare I say it but this might just be the nicest GR.1 I seen so far - well done.

ATB
Rick

• Like 1

That's very nice. Thoroughly approve of the pilot. Any hints or tips, I have one near the top of the pile

Pete

Pete,

It was pretty good throughtout, the only thing I had a small amount of trouble with was the intakes. If I build another one I would try fixing them to the fuselage sides first, bfore the fuselage goes together. Doing it as the instructions show caused the inner 'liners' to push them out a bit and I had to fill and sand them.

I also needed a little filler on the separate tail fin, and the rear of the wing/fuselage section on top. Not much, just a little and it might be possible to get away with not using any if you make a better job of the joins than I did.

HTH John

That's a fantastic Harrier you've finished! And in the best colour scheme ever, as far as I am concerned.

Why does an Airfix kit automatically require a pilot in the cockpit in your opinion? Poor ejection seat, superstition,...? I dare say you've lost me with this statement!

A great build in any case!

JR

Thank you guys.

Why does an Airfix kit automatically require a pilot in the cockpit in your opinion? Poor ejection seat, superstition,...? I dare say you've lost me with this statement!

Jean, it was just acknowledgement that when we were kids many of us put the pilot in our Airfix models so we could 'fly' the model around the house. As this build was reviving old memories of the original kit, it seemed I should go back to being a kid and put the pilot in. :winkgrin:

There is nothing wrong with the kit, not so sure about myself though ;)

Cheers

John

• Like 1