Airfix 1/72nd C-47A/D release date?

Wez

OK, I've now got my grubby paws on one, and have started building.

I stand by what I said on the first page about the panel lines. They're a bit deep, but not the Grand Canyon. A coat of primer and a sand back should make a diference. After a coat of paint and WITHOUT shading, they should be fine.

There are a few glitches which, to me at least, are more important:

1. The real item had a trim tab on the starboard aileron, the kit doesn't. No big deal to scribe it, or even cut it out and remake it in card, but it should have been there. (Thankfully it doesn't have one on the port aileron either, unlike Italeri's offering, which is a cow to correct.)

2. The tyres are "weighted" - if I was presented with an aircraft with tyres that looked like this lot I'd be making an endorsement on the maintenance release! They look as though they're half flat! Again, no big deal to correct - a sliver of card on the contact point, some careful sanding and Jack's your Aunty, but it shouldn't have happened.

3. The emergency exit hatch above the cockpit has been completely overlooked. It's quite prominent on the real thing, and its lack is very apparent. Once again, easy enough to correct - a piece of 5 thou card about 9x8mm will do the trick, but again it shouldn't have happened. Its absence is made even more inexplicable when you notice that Airfix has very carefully replicated the control linkage access panel below the cockpit - Fail; see me after school.

(Edited to get the trim tab on the proper side!)

Edited by Admiral Puff
  • Like 1

Admiral Puff wrote:

"1. The real item had a trim tab on the port aileron, the kit doesn't. No big deal to scribe it, or even cut it out and remake it in card, but it should have been there. (Thankfully it doesn't have one on the starboard aileron either, unlike Italeri's offering, which is a cow to correct.)"

A couple of the pictures I found show the trim tab on the starboard aileron, not the port side:

I'm new to this, and I don't have a book on the C-47 yet, and I am working on this kit right now and would appreciate clarification on this from anyone who is sure about it.

Edited by Ceez

Admiral Puff wrote:
"1. The real item had a trim tab on the port aileron, the kit doesn't. No big deal to scribe it, or even cut it out and remake it in card, but it should have been there. (Thankfully it doesn't have one on the starboard aileron either, unlike Italeri's offering, which is a cow to correct.)"
A couple of the pictures I found show the trim tab on the starboard aileron, not the port side:
I'm new to this, and I don't have a book on the C-47 yet, and I am working on this kit right now and would appreciate clarification on this from anyone who is sure about it.

You're right - I've just gone back and checked. Sorry about that! Must have been having a senior's moment when I typed that ... Starboard side it is. Airfix didn't put one on that side either, so the work still has to be done.

Edited by Admiral Puff
  • Like 1