Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon on the flight line...

First of all you reminded me of the times I went to Blackpool on CWU conferences, happy days.

The build and result are stunning, so much has already been said in the short space of time since you posted the original photos.

There isn't much more that can added. Will buy the magazine though, so that's something else you've achieved for Airfix :)

Hi Ian:

Thanks for this.

I did Blackpool once - the rest of the time it.s been Bournemouth. Kudos to you for being an activist :-)

Steve

An incredible, inspirational build of what looks to be an absolutely amazing kit. I've not seen detail on a kit like that before. Mind you, I've never bought anything bigger than 1/48 scale!! Thanks for sharing, my wallet is cringing!!

Hi Val:

Good luck your wallet and thanks!

Steve

Oh my hell I want one! The only question is.... what would I put beside it? Spitfire? If so, what mark? Fw190? P-47D? Airfix have/are about to totally change the 1/24 game.

Oh the agony of choice...lol.

I'm not sure to know enough words in English to qualify this: brilliant, impressive, amazing, stunning...or after all, just: wow.

Thanks Vince - it's a honey of a kit.

Don't care what the missus says, from what I've seen here, I'm buying and building one!

Please don't cite me in the divorce court...

24 hours and over 10,500 views on the this thread and still increasing, that's about the monthly circulation of Airfix Model World already isn't it?

No idea to be frank but I'm floored by the response just the same.

Not sure what the initial production run will be, however judging by this threads popularity I'd say those that have not preordered one may be a little disappointed.

I believe a follow-on modellers guide publication, similar to what Tamiya has been doing with their 1/32 kits would also be a best seller - penned by our very own Mr. C. Thomas of course.

Cheers.. Dave

I don't know what Airfix intend either but I feel sure they're aware of the reception here and elsewhere . I simply wish all who sail in her as much fun as I had with mine; so much so, I'll definitely be doing a second as I know a very (very!) nice man who can do me a nice set of masks for markings, codes, et al... :-)

well done Airfix and Steve for excellent kit and build

Cheers Mick!

wow!

:-)

Wow! Absolutely stunning work and thank you so much for sharing here, on BM, as a sneak peek before the magazine comes out! :worthy:

I don't know much about the Typhoon and the thought of a 1/24 kit scares the hell out of me me but if I could aspire to get anywhere near what you have done, this is one kit that will definitely be going in to the stash. :goodjob:

...and you won't be disappointed Danny. Wish you well with yours.

AWESOME!!!!!!!! :gobsmacked:

I've just sat and looked at this . Blimey I didn't even know I wanted one .have just pre ordered it.

Terry

Lol. You're gonna be so glad you did... :-)

I.. It.. That..

:banghead:

Now do my eyes deceive me, or is that molded stressed skin??

No and yes. Airfix have stretched the ability of modern tooling to translate CAD ambitions to the max...

My biggest enemy.....myself......what the eye sees the fingers want......I thank my lucky stars that this kit is far, far beyond my reach in every area....so I will be gloating and swooning over this magnificent kit,and subsequent build until the next one....thank you for the excitement value, I have enjoyed that part immensely...

Not at all - thanks for taking a look... ;-)

Will add my WOW as well, have been looking forwards to seeing what this kit will look like when someone first gets to build one and i must say you have done an absolutely cracking job on it - thanks for sharing!

Cheers S!

I can only echo what's been said already....and I'm going to get one, I think I have to.. It's properly stunning.

Thanks R. I'm really looking forward to seeing other builds unfold over time I have to say.

Well out of the 4 models I have actually completed since my return to modelling 10 years ago one is the MDC 1/32nd Typhoon and the other the new AIrfix 1/72nd Typhoon. Guess I am going ti be adding a 1/24th scale monster to the collection.

Fabulous build of what looks like a brilliant model.

Thanks C - you won't regret getting your own...

Holy Cow! I thought it looked good in the prototype stage, but with paint on it looks astounding! just going online to pre-order now.

A credit to the modeller and Airfix.... :goodjob:

Much appreciated Rob. I still have Sam, the designer's words ringing in my ears from Telford 'Can't wait to see the first one painted up'.

wow

I feel like a starving dog looking at a bone!

JTY

Lol. Feed that appetite John... ;-)

Can I have one please? Stunning build Steve, I will be getting the mag, I don't want to miss any of this.

The decals look good but this is just crying out for painted on markings :thumbsup:

Thanks Mal. Absolutely right on the sprayed markings - do you know anyone who could do me some masks for a shark mouth?

Steve Von Tiffie

Stunning!

Can Airfix take the Zokei Moura route and downscale this to 1:48 please :-D

René

Don't know Rene - but the research that went into the 24th scale kit was instrumental in the 72nd release I believe, so perhaps time will tell.

I have to add my admiration for an excellent looking build.

Love the detailed skin texture - looks excellent. I hope somebody comes up with some 1:24 accessories/figures to go with this... Iconicair will need to upscale their accumulator trolley to go with this :)

Hmmm, now where would the cotton wool fit in...

Thanks K - I defy you to love one to completion, then stuff it with cotton wool though... :-)

Crikey on a stick!

I love it. Not my scale (or price bracket lol) but that is a Thing of Great Beauty.

The surface rendering is sublime even down to the dimpled and rippled skin effect.

If this is the not quite the finished release I wonder what that would look like?!

Trevor the envious

The test shot was described to me as 99.5% there, so any changes will be accordingly small it would seem.

Thanks Trev!

So does this take detail to a new level with 1/24 scale? Or do other companies modeos in this scale have equal levels of detail?

If I nod yes to the first question, I may induce whiplash. In terms of the second, I think Airfix have caught the attention of other key producers with this one...

Just a thought, have Airfix been cleaver enough for the engine covers to be removeable, like the Tamiya 1/32 kits.

Or is there one option. on or off ?

Panels are not removable no; there are options to open the engine up fully, partially or one or both gun bays. It was considered I believe but not taken up in order to keep engine and gun components 'scale'

Just turn the ignition on and fly.

Awesom build and I'm sure all builds will be judged against this. Cracking skills!

Thanks MS but in truth I'm a 'mid table obscurity' (to coin a footballing phrase) modeller, who's genuinely looking forward to seeing what the world's top drawer modellers do with the kit.

That is very nice, both the kit and the build! The first ever model kit that I chose for myself was a 1/72 Airfix Typhoon that I got at a trip to Cosford aerospace museum when I was little and I've had a soft spot for the thing ever since, even if the reason I got it was because it was the closest thing to a Spitfire in the shop that I could afford...

Time to dig out the 1/48 Vulcan rumours again? :P Actually it'd be nice to see a new 1/24 jet. I'd be delighted by a Gnat (doesn't seem entirely impossible) or a Sea Hawk (seems very unlikely) in that scale.

OMG......

Just ordered one today, wondering what I've let myself in for.....

Fantastic build, my compliments, sir

Thanks for that - much appreciated. :-)

Not my scale or (currently) my era of interest but, I have no words for the kit or the build.

There's been a few comments on price, my view; this must be the best value kit available today!

Dan

I think so Dan. There's a ton and a bit of modelling in the box for sure.

Kits packed up ,paints in bin

the games a bogey can't compete with that master piece

seriously stunning job well done that man.

Hi F - Thanks for the nod. Don't pass up the opportunity to enjoy one if you can.

Steve

Looks like some incredible R&D and engineering has gone into making those moulds. A little to large for me but I'm

slightly tempted.

gazza l

Hi Gazza - Some indication of the effort that was ploughed into it by Airfix and Chris Thomas resides in them wondering how they're going to top it next time out. I have no doubts they will... ;-)

Awesome build, Looks Fantastic !

Cheers Russ - hope you get to play with one :-)

Steve

When I first heard there'd be a 1/24th Typhoon. I was underwhelmed. In any case I couldn't afford it and where would I put it? Plus nothing would match the enthusiasm I felt when I saved up a whole £2.50 to buy my first 1/24th Spitfire.

Well dam you. Thanks to you now I have to go and save up a whole £100 and think of an excuse for my wife :chair: to spend it on another one of those dust collectors.

Thank you very bloody much.

Wow! Out standing work right there. Looks stunning you have really done that justice. Nice job.

Cheers JD - much appreciated.

When I first heard there'd be a 1/24th Typhoon. I was underwhelmed. In any case I couldn't afford it and where would I put it? Plus nothing would match the enthusiasm I felt when I saved up a whole £2.50 to buy my first 1/24th Spitfire.

Well dam you. Thanks to you now I have to go and save up a whole £100 and think of an excuse for my wife :chair: to spend it on another one of those dust collectors.

Thank you very bloody much.

Still laughing as I write this Noel.

I can only apologise for the thoughtless behaviour of Airfix in releasing such a home wrecker. Now you come to mention it, I'm seeing just what a broad based conspiracy it has been, to undermine the very base fabric of your life and then there is my own callous involvement - merely compounding your misery.

Do you think, in the fullness of time...you...can learn...to forgive...?

Steve Von Cantshowhisfaceinpublicanymore

• Like 1

Not sure what the initial production run will be, however judging by this threads popularity I'd say those that have not preordered one may be a little disappointed.

Cheers.. Dave

Well I "blinked first" and preorded one today.

And additional kudos to DWW, not only an excellently built model but a very well written and invormative discussion thread.

Stunning build, I have one on pre order with a well know Liverpool shop can't wait to open the box and get my mits on it. It might be worth looking at the well known shop in Liverpool as they have it on pre order for £70 on the net.

By the lord and holy cow... seriously i have goose bumbs and fingers are shaking i can barely type.. The kit for sure is absolutely amazing, but what you could do with it is mindblowing... if i ll ever be able to do something 10% as nice, i would be proud... Seriously pure awesomnes. So clean build, awesome looking weathering and detailing.. One could easy use your build as reference.. :) Seems i m going to save money now for this awesome kit, though its more than sure it ll be a LOT worse than your, but still the kit looks very fun to build.

Btw,in the Airfix modelling review or what you mentioned, there ll be "WIP" stuff about how you did build this beauty? Because it would be amazing and probably for the first time in my life i woudl feel i have to get some magasine just to read that..

Edited by Wolwe82

Stunning build, I have one on pre order with a well know Liverpool shop can't wait to open the box and get my mits on it. It might be worth looking at the well known shop in Liverpool as they have it on pre order for £70 on the net.

You the second person on two modelling sites who has said a well known Liverpool shop have it at £70 when it is really £80

Still a good buy at £80 though