Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon on the flight line...

Brilliant

The model blew me away at Telford, of course

but seeing what a master can do with it puts it atop my new purchases list

and yes I do mean master, I'm sure Airfix will be proud to have your work on display

I reckon you just upped their potential sales by fifty per cent

Now then, when did you say the mag is out?

:thumbsup:

Hi P:

Thanks for that but again, I'm no master. Too many gaffs, oversights, backtracks and oops moments. I just try hard and that's enough for me.

Thursday 1 May 2014 is publication day - an attached supplement I'm told, with complementary piece by Chris Thomas (which I've seen and read and is top drawer).

Best regards

Steve Von Tryer :-)

• Like 1

Must, must, must, simply MUST have this!! The Tiffie is one of my all time favourite warbirds, and one in 1/24!!! :frantic:

Safe to say the bank of Oddball is going to be taking a hard knock fairly soon.

Going slightly off topic, it does pose the question whether there should be a follow on release, the only obvious candidate I can think of that doesn't already exist in this scale is a late mark Spitfire

Martin Ridge, New Product Manager, expressed the view to me that the Tiffie raises the question 'how do we top this' but from my perspective - they will. I'm as interesting as you are, to see where the product line goes next ;-)

In time for D-day anniversary.

Fantastic build and great finish. I suppose just a few more bits and wiring and it would be indistinguishable from the real thing.

Making room for this.

There's plenty of scope to add wiring in the office, around the engine, gun bays and so on. It's scope for diorama stuff is huge...

Actually, the obvious candidate is some 1/24th scale groundcrew to be swarming all over it and giving all of that lovely detail some context!

After that I'd be happy with a Spitfire IX/XVI or XIV in that scale.

Wez

to which Richard E replied...

I wonder if the groundcrew/equipment will come from the aftermarket sector; other than decals it does't look like Airfix have given them too many opportunities to enhance this offering.

...no doubt the AM will fill the void but I can't help thinking that Airfix are missing a trick here, after all, the RAF groundcrew could be used with pretty much most of their 1/24th scale kits (in the appropriate markings for the German aircraft and the Mustang of course), AM items would invariably be cast in resin and thus more costly, as well as difficult for those not experienced with resin to work with.

EHattons are still offering it at a preorder price of £80- does everyone reckon this will be honoured as 20% is a big discount on a new and probably in demand kit...?

I've been using EHattons for all of my Airfix releases for over a year now,in my experience they honour the price quoted at time of order, I've no reason to doubt that they'll do otherwise with this kit.

Wez

• Like 1

All I can do is repeat what every body else has said! Stunning! One thing, though - is there any room for adding extra detail?!!! Looks like Airfix and yourself have everything covered.

Steve

Hi Steve - yes, there's always scope to tweak and improve. Wiring, replacing switches, HGW belts would be great, cannons and springs from Master (scaled up from their existing products - I confess, I ran round to their stand at Telford last November and buttonholed them over it lol). I know paint masks will be produced for it (markings and camo) and some of these will find their way onto my full production kit (when I'm not against the clock).

Thanks

Steve

Having seen the kit at Telford, I'm speechless, both at the quality of a standard Airfix 1/24 kit, and the quality of the OOB build. - time for me to throw in the towel and take up tiddly-winks? Roll on a 1/24 Corsair or a 262? A 1/24 BAE Hawk would be nice as well.

Mike

Beautiful build and finish, can't belive how well those undercarrage doors fit into their recesses in your photo of the painting stage

Hi Colin:

I tell you, the thing is dripping with clever, thoughtful design. I spent a while cleaning up the seams on the legs, snapped them crisply into the door recesses, only to see the seams would never have shown anyway...lol.

The mag article back fills certain info that should guarantee a smooth build.

Best regards

Steve

• Like 2

Having seen the kit at Telford, I'm speechless, both at the quality of a standard Airfix 1/24 kit, and the quality of the OOB build. - time for me to throw in the towel and take up tiddly-winks? Roll on a 1/24 Corsair or a 262? A 1/24 BAE Hawk would be nice as well.

Mike

Hi Mike:

If a Spitfire could make a good pilot great and a great pilot exceptional, then the big Tiffie will do the same. It's an involved build for sure but if you opt to close everything up it should run together relatively quickly.

As I've said elsewhere, it's a bucket lister, so don't deny yourself the opportunity to tackle one.

Best regards

Steve

First of all you reminded me of the times I went to Blackpool on CWU conferences, happy days.

The build and result are stunning, so much has already been said in the short space of time since you posted the original photos.

There isn't much more that can be added. Will buy the magazine though, so that's something else you've achieved for Airfix :)

Edited by Ian Suds

An incredible, inspirational build of what looks to be an absolutely amazing kit. I've not seen detail on a kit like that before. Mind you, I've never bought anything bigger than 1/48 scale!! Thanks for sharing, my wallet is cringing!!

Don't care what the missus says, from what I've seen here, I'm buying and building one!

Edited by rainstel109

Not sure what the initial production run will be, however judging by this threads popularity I'd say those that have not preordered one may be a little disappointed.

I believe a follow-on modellers guide publication, similar to what Tamiya has been doing with their 1/32 kits would also be a best seller - penned by our very own Mr. C. Thomas of course.

Cheers.. Dave